Mun activitites

Dogywall

23 hours ago, Dogywall said:

What do I do on the Mun to make it fun?

Honestly, if you have to ask this question, you might not be very into this game :)

Which isn't gatekeeping; honestly, if you want to go to other planets, go to other planets, I've spent thousands of hours doing so. The joy for me is in building, refining, mission planning and eventual execution with maximum efficiency.

But if you found nothing fun about going to Mun (including the design and building phase), be aware that that's basically the rest of the game, just with different colours and some atmospheres.  Couple of places you can send a plane, most you can't. 

Edited by eddiew

On 11/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, eddiew said:

Honestly, if you have to ask this question, you might not be very into this game :)

Which isn't gatekeeping; honestly, if you want to go to other planets, go to other planets, I've spent thousands of hours doing so. The joy for me is in building, refining, mission planning and eventual execution with maximum efficiency.

But if you found nothing fun about going to Mun (including the design and building phase), be aware that that's basically the rest of the game, just with different colours and some atmospheres.  Couple of places you can send a plane, most you can't. 

I love this game. The problem is I have gone there so many times Im just not sure what to do

The problem is, that im good enough to get to mun and minmus easly but not good/confidance enough to go anywhere else. If im being honestly, I got offended when someone said I might not be interested in this game. I LOVE this game but I just in a weird spot right now. 

10 hours ago, Dogywall said:

The problem is, that im good enough to get to mun and minmus easly but not good/confidance enough to go anywhere else. If im being honestly, I got offended when someone said I might not be interested in this game. I LOVE this game but I just in a weird spot right now. 

I've been whroygh this situation before and a lot of people did. it's a huge jump in scale and I recommend you try docking and explore other parts of the game such as planes and rovers for a bit then head to another planet.

I approve of Duna as a next destination assuming you have the antenna tech for it.

I think sending a probe first to get used to transfer windows is a good idea. Then go for a landing on Duna unmanned or manned. 

A rule of thumb I heard somewhere was If Duna is in the 12 o'clock position and Kerbin is at the 2:00 to 2:30 o'clock position you have a open widow.

And Eve is also good for unmanned probes and landers. Some folks go there first before Duna. (If Kerbin is in the 12 o'clock position and Eve is in the 2:00- 2:30 position you have a window.)

There are mods (and out of game calculators) to get more accurate transfer windows, add a D/V map and the solar system will just open up for you.

12 hours ago, Dogywall said:

We have all been there.  Every person playing this game and on these forums has been right where you are, unsure of what to do next and lacking the confidence to take any more steps.  I promise you, though, that you can do it.  Yes, you can.  :)

So, you can fly to Mun.  Which means you can build a rocket, launch it, get into orbit, transfer to another celestial body, land (if I read your post right), and get home.  You already know most of what you need to go to any of the other planets and/or moons.  And if you think about it, when you started playing, you knew none of that.  Think of how far you have come already!

This will be extremely oversimplified, but your next step is to pick a planet or moon, build a rocket, and go.  Eve is Kerbin's closest neighbor, while Duna is where a lot of people aim for as their first step outside Kerbin's SOI.  But that doesn't mean you should go there; you can pick anywhere you like!

Building the rocket will be a bit harder than what you have done so far, but all the same principles apply.  You need enough fuel and thrust to get off Kerbin, then enough fuel to get where you are going and get home.  And if the first rocket doesn't work?  Build another!  And another, and another, until you get one that does!

If you need any help with any phase of this, all you gotta do is ask.  Everyone here is more than willing to help.

Happy flying, fellow traveler!

Edited by Scarecrow71

22 hours ago, Dogywall said:

I love this game. The problem is I have gone there so many times Im just not sure what to do

Oh, well then maybe have a trawl through the "What have you done in KSP today?" megathread. There's literally years worth of ideas for station/base building, mining rigs, Mun-capable SSTOs, and the like :)

21 hours ago, Dogywall said:

The problem is, that im good enough to get to mun and minmus easly but not good/confidance enough to go anywhere else.

Ahh, gotcha. Then that is a fear to be rid of - by practising. Send a probe to Duna, learn to park in orbit, how to land, and maybe have a little science capsule that you fire off and bring back to Kerbin.

If it fails, if you fly off into deep space, if you crash on the surface; no matter. It was only a probe. They're there to learn with :)

Also, never be afraid to install some mods! Transfer Window Planner, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Kerbal Engineer Redux are very, very powerful for getting you to the right place. If you can read a delta-v map, build a vessel that works, and know the launch window, you can build interplanetary manoeuvre nodes by hand. Mostly it's just about knowing whether now is a good time, or you need to fast forward 6 months.

Edited by eddiew

Maybe try to send a rover to one of the other planets. Good targets are Eve and Duna.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Dogywall said:

The problem is, that im good enough to get to mun and minmus easly but not good/confidance enough to go anywhere else.

Don’t worry. I’ve been playing KSP for nearly 11 months and I can’t do a two way landing anywhere further than Ike.

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

Also, never be afraid to install some mods! Transfer Window Planner, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and Kerbal Engineer Redux are very, very powerful for getting you to the right place.

I will also highly recommend MechJeb 2.  I use it for creating and executing maneuver nodes, ascent to orbit, docking, and landing.  Invaluable is actually undersellong how important (to me) that mod is.

1 hour ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Don’t worry. I’ve been playing KSP for nearly 11 months and I can’t do a two way landing anywhere further than Ike.

Ooh, you should take a look at the Kerpollo Challenge thread.  For me, I had never done interplanetary missions before, and that challenge forced me to not only go, but to do it in a single launch.  I kearney so much reading that thread and the mission reports from the people who did it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, Dogywall said:

What is there to do after Ive beat the Mun? What do I do on the Mun to make it fun?

The experience is the journey, not the destination!
 I’ve always liked to follow a more realistic approach to exploring celestial bodies…usually will send a fly-by probe, then an orbiter, an unmanned lander, maybe a sample return mission, then crewed missions before building a base+orbiting station.

Really, after you get to an celestial body your options are:

1. Send rover

2. fly a plane if possible

3. build a surface base

4. Grab  some nifty screenshots

Edited by Lewie

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.