VexarpIVA Developpement Thread [ Currently working on BDB ]

Vexmae

Hi, SpacemanSpiff said that creating a second thread for the developement is autorized so here it is

What iva i'm doing now:

Currently on Bluedog Design Bureau, first the Mercury capsules

Why is there a second thread:

It's mainly because i don't want to flood the Release thread with developpement updates si the developpements discutions will be here, if you want to help me, you can give your opinion on the ivas or test the mod and give feedback 

Extra info:

Licence Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Dependencies ( for now ):

( and bluedog design bureau because this is what i'm currently working on )

I also have discord ( Vexmae#1450 )

Known bugs:

( There is none ... for now )

Release thread of Vexarp IVA

Edited by Vexmae
Editing the title because i can't speak english properly

Moved from other thread:

>> BDB is a big mod

The entire BDB folder is 1.85GB, and the Parts folder is 1.77GB :) Inside Parts, Mercury is 9MB, Gemini is 38MB - these would be capsules only. So by my napkin calculations, you need about 80MB for the rest of the folders (probably not worth your time trying to reduce them), then whichever capsule you'd want to mess with.

Started looking at the ivas and hum .. modeling is gonna be necessary but i can't find a good picture only so, do someone know if there is a window other than the small round one on the mercury capsule ?0a33e9e20b9a3e939285ae088e33109b.jpg

38 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The entire BDB folder is 1.85GB, and the Parts folder is 1.77GB :) Inside Parts, Mercury is 9MB, Gemini is 38MB - these would be capsules only. So by my napkin calculations, you need about 80MB for the rest of the folders (probably not worth your time trying to reduce them), then whichever capsule you'd want to mess with.

thanks for your help i will try to reduce this tomorow :). 

edit:

i just realized that i've made a mistake in the title ( Actually is similar to "Actuellement" in french but "Actuellement" mean currently and actually mean "Réellement" in french )

Edited by Vexmae

hmmm .. that's gonna be a problem, i will probably have to chose between the two window style ( or maybe is there a way to detect which style is selected with a basic script but i don't think that's gonna be possible .. )

5 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

edit2: annnnnd this is my 666th post. I am h4x0r.

do not post at 3A.M in front of a mirror or a evil demon will catch you 

1 hour ago, Vexmae said:

Started looking at the ivas and hum .. modeling is gonna be necessary but i can't find a good picture only so, do someone know if there is a window other than the small round one on the mercury capsule ?0a33e9e20b9a3e939285ae088e33109b.jpg

thanks for your help i will try to reduce this tomorow :). 

edit:

i just realized that i've made a mistake in the title ( Actually is similar to "Actuellement" in french but "Actuellement" mean currently and actually mean "Réellement" in french )

image0.jpg

some other good pictures in here: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/capsule-mercury-ma-6/nasm_A19670176000

well i'm gonna need some help with the 3d model for the iva, I have a temporary 3d model to align with the capsule, and i can't find the right rotation for the 3d model, tried like 12 times and it's starting to annoy me a lot unknown.png?width=960&height=540

i get variations of that but rotating the model in one direction like 90 degrees in blender don't seems to rotate the model by 90, i'm very confused with how the rotation system works. can someone please help me with that ? 

Edit:

i'm going to play beamng or stormworks or anything else for like an hour or something so i will propably not reply before like an hour

Edited by Vexmae
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

24 minutes ago, Vexmae said:

so hum .. if someone can help me with this orientation problem, where is the .blend file of the iva if someone wants to look at it ( this is the a really basic shape but i want to have it oriented in the good direction before starting to do something) helpmeplzthisisdrivingmecrazy.zip 

No broad experience with this -- but I'm totally guessing that blender vs. unity vs. game are probably *not* agreeing on which axis is which (and + / - getting swapped, etc.) 
Even when fiddling with positions for indicator lights, etc. I remember having to reverse some values to have them behave well in-game.

Someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

Edited by Beetlecat

finaly managed to get it right, thanks to Beetlecat i figured out that moving the model in the object mode of blender don't actually rotate the model for unity so to rotate the model i have to rotate the model with edit mode

unknown.png?width=960&height=540

now it's time to take a break

Edited by Vexmae
forgot a part of my message

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jefftheguyperson said:

I am wanting to try and make IVAs for some existing pods, but I don't have a clue where to start. Do you have any suggestions for how I should get started?

Sure i would be happy to help you, can you send me a private message so we can discuss of this without flooding this thread ? 

(For anyone wondering why i didn't posted any updaglte for like 2 weeks is because i was very busy the first week and i spend my freetime learning how to use blender correctly so i can make ivas more easily)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, hello everyone and i wish you a happy new year (i'm a bit late but it's better late than never). I recently got back to ivas after learning a bit blender and all. (Actually i didn't wanted to start all again because i've erased all my hard drive but a very close friend said something like "you can do it, you're the best" and thing like that and it gave me the strenght to do it again. So thanks to her) 

Started Mercury IVA from scratch today ( like 2-3 hours ago) and after a bit of research i managed to make something like that: 

unknown.png

( note that this is very early model and that it will be better after that, i tried to follow the picture sent by Spaceman Spiff like 3 months ago and the model from the game "Reentry: an orbital simulator" ( this game will be very helpfull to understand how i will make buttons and all )

So i think i'm gonna post updates more often here. (honestly i think modeling will not be the most difficult part of this)

( i'm gona say what i say in nearly every message i send on this forum: please excuse me if i've made spelling mistake <blablabla> french <blablabla> learning english (i think i'm gonna stop saying this))

Thanks you for reading me :).

Hello everyone, today is update-on-progress-day. I managed to find a bit of time today to progress on mercury iva: 

Today i made the 3D model into KSP, and, done a tiny bit of texturing just to figure out how this works (and it's pretty easy, KSP part tool is actually very simple to use). Here is a look in the iva, Kerbal_Space_Program_Screenshot_2022.01.

the 3D model is just temporary as i need to get access to the original 3D files of BDB to fine tune the iva ( like the position of the window and all of this). I will probably ask for them in the BDB forums threads or on github tomorow.

Note that i had to offset the kerbal view because their eyes are just to low to use the window properly

unknown.png

i don't know if it's better to keep the camera at the height of kerbal eyes or to make it a bit higher.

Here is in bonus some failed attempt:

Spoiler

( Where i forgot to set the iva as internal space and made the light brightness a tiny bit to high )

unknown.png 

jeb you good ? 

I don't know how often i'm gonna send current progress but i think every time something a bit interesting happened. 

Thanks you for reading me and good afternoon/night/day ( depends on when you read this and on your time zone) :).

So i got the external models of the mercury capsule thanks to  CobaltWolf , i have redone all from start to get it just right. I will probably start serious modeling after this week-end ( taking some time to rest a bit from the week).

<base_model_with_visual_bug.jpg>

Thanks to CobaltWorf for sending me the assets :).

Hey, i started a bit of texturing ( and modeling for all the decorations ) but i get a visual bug like that:

unknown.png

can someone tell me what's the cause of this ? i don't know how to stop this from happening (probably because i'm a bit dumb) thanks to anyone who will try to help me :).

1 hour ago, Vexmae said:

Hey, i started a bit of texturing ( and modeling for all the decorations ) but i get a visual bug like that:

~snip~

can someone tell me what's the cause of this ? i don't know how to stop this from happening (probably because i'm a bit dumb) thanks to anyone who will try to help me :).

Looks like you have bad mesh topology. What does the wireframe look like in your modeling software?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

What does the wireframe look like in your modeling software?

The Wireframe mode looks normal (i think) but i think i will just re do it, made this a bit fast just after coming back home so i think i'll do it properly tomorow in the afternoon.

unknown.png?width=796&height=646

wireframe view of blender: 

I think i just overestimate my knowledge in blender a bit but that's not a problem i'll learn more while doing it :). 

18 hours ago, Vexmae said:

The Wireframe mode looks normal (i think) but i think i will just re do it, made this a bit fast just after coming back home so i think i'll do it properly tomorow in the afternoon.

wireframe view of blender: 

I think i just overestimate my knowledge in blender a bit but that's not a problem i'll learn more while doing it :). 

Yeah you need to make sure you're only using 4 or 3 sided faces. That surface needs to be broken up; you might need to add some edge loops to the "flat" side on the left. Something kind of like this, etc.

DLE0H2a.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.