Alcubierre warp drives

On 11/18/2021 at 10:48 PM, randomkspplayer said:

i want Alcubierre warp drives for interstellar travel.  is that in the game? if not, i want it pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

I think they would be a little too sci-fi(I know they are theoretically possible but we are speaking extremely distant future) to have in the stock game

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, Matteoksp said:

I think they would be a little too sci-fi(I know they are theoretically possible but we are speaking extremely distant future) to have in the stock game

Just because you can inappropriately extrapolate equations derived from empirical data about the physical universe does not mean that the Alcubierre drive is theoretically possible.  I really wish this notion would stop being spread around.  There is no basis for assuming the Alcubierre drive is theoretically possible.  Equations are not evidence.

Yeah yeah, we get it.

Anyway, the Alcubierre warp drive will probably always be and stay in the realm of mods. Part of the point of KSP is as a teaching/integration tool. While far future technologies can be included with a little bit of handwavium, warp drives just don't mesh in well.

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, Dr, Harold White did manage to create a tiny warp bubble recently. He stressed that we are still far away from a practical working warp engine, and it isn’t clear that such a thing is possible. The developers already said that there would be no warp technology in the stock game, but there is wiggle room in mods for something like Blueshift to appear in KSP 2. It would take a complete rewrite of the plugin and retooling of the artwork to accomplish.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, Angel-125 said:

Interestingly enough, Dr, Harold White did manage to create a tiny warp bubble recently. He stressed that we are still far away from a practical working warp engine, and it isn’t clear that such a thing is possible. The developers already said that there would be no warp technology in the stock game, but there is wiggle room in mods for something like Blueshift to appear in KSP 2. It would take a complete rewrite of the plugin and retooling of the artwork to accomplish.

I do kind of wonder if Star Trek might have it right lots of smaller generators in a series, like a mother duck and ducklings swimming.