Alcubierre warp drives

On 11/18/2021 at 10:48 PM, randomkspplayer said:

i want Alcubierre warp drives for interstellar travel.  is that in the game? if not, i want it pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

I think they would be a little too sci-fi(I know they are theoretically possible but we are speaking extremely distant future) to have in the stock game

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, Matteoksp said:

I think they would be a little too sci-fi(I know they are theoretically possible but we are speaking extremely distant future) to have in the stock game

Just because you can inappropriately extrapolate equations derived from empirical data about the physical universe does not mean that the Alcubierre drive is theoretically possible.  I really wish this notion would stop being spread around.  There is no basis for assuming the Alcubierre drive is theoretically possible.  Equations are not evidence.

Yeah yeah, we get it.

Anyway, the Alcubierre warp drive will probably always be and stay in the realm of mods. Part of the point of KSP is as a teaching/integration tool. While far future technologies can be included with a little bit of handwavium, warp drives just don't mesh in well.

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, Dr, Harold White did manage to create a tiny warp bubble recently. He stressed that we are still far away from a practical working warp engine, and it isn’t clear that such a thing is possible. The developers already said that there would be no warp technology in the stock game, but there is wiggle room in mods for something like Blueshift to appear in KSP 2. It would take a complete rewrite of the plugin and retooling of the artwork to accomplish.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, Angel-125 said:

Interestingly enough, Dr, Harold White did manage to create a tiny warp bubble recently. He stressed that we are still far away from a practical working warp engine, and it isn’t clear that such a thing is possible. The developers already said that there would be no warp technology in the stock game, but there is wiggle room in mods for something like Blueshift to appear in KSP 2. It would take a complete rewrite of the plugin and retooling of the artwork to accomplish.

I do kind of wonder if Star Trek might have it right lots of smaller generators in a series, like a mother duck and ducklings swimming. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, randomkspplayer said:

if not, i want it pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

cmon really what are you a child

Spoiler

i am really getting tired of people requesting this

This is the second FTL thread that is being necrobumped, and this one literally just has an ad hominem attack. FTL is not happening in stock, no need to insult people who want it. 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:07 AM, t_v said:

This is the second FTL thread that is being necrobumped, and this one literally just has an ad hominem attack. FTL is not happening in stock, no need to insult people who want it. 

its not that i think ftl is bad in general i actually liked the ftl MODS for ksp 1 but it does not fit stock ksp or stock ksp 2 at all

Great, you voiced your opinion that is already directly stated in 4 other posts right here on this thread. I agree with that opinion but I think that digging up a 4 month old thread to call someone a child is unnecessary. People are pretty much unanimously in agreement that warp drives are not happening, and it is ok to tell people who are currently posting requests that, but not someone who hasn’t asked for FTL since November. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, t_v said:

They're not insulting them for wanting FTL, they're insulting them for going 'pleeeeeeeeease' which, believe it or not, reflects the behaviour of a child.

50 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

They're not insulting them for wanting FTL, they're insulting them for going 'pleeeeeeeeease' which, believe it or not, reflects the behaviour of a child.

Which is normally fine, albeit a bit iffy because holding people accountable for being responsible mature people is generally a good thing, but this sort of thing has to be done in the moment rather than several months later, at which point is is less of a learning opportunity and more of an ad hominem attack, which is no more mature than the behavior that they are attacking. As I said before,

On 3/24/2022 at 7:17 AM, t_v said:

I agree with that opinion but I think that digging up a [3 week] old thread to call someone a child is unnecessary.

This applies to you too. 

Just now, t_v said:
On 3/24/2022 at 11:17 AM, t_v said:

I agree with that opinion but I think that digging up a [3 week] old thread to call someone a child is unnecessary.

This applies to you too. 

I'm not the one who dug the thread up.