Jebediah Space Program

OJT

13 hours ago, BlackMesaSurvivor said:

So... I think i should submit my entry to this challenge

Also, i'll do 3 instead of 2 or 1, since i thought it was going to be quite easy(don't worry, soon i'll do both 1 and 2.

Reveal hidden contents

So yeah, i just saw this thread and i was surprised of it, so i guess i should do it, right?

screenshot4.png

since i was so used to simple and powerful rockets, i couldn't think of a better design, so i made this.

screenshot5.png

The rocket is somehow stable and less wobbly(i don't even used autostruts)

screenshot6.png

screenshot8.png

Don't worry Jeb, son you'll be on home!

screenshot9.png

mmmmm... yeah, i'm going to the correct direction.

screenshot12.png

screenshot14.png

Just a little bit of maneuvers and boom!

screenshot16.png

screenshot17.png

screenshot19.png

ughhhhhh... this upper tank explo-separation technique is soo weird.:wacko:

also, at this point, i just realized that some of my engines were wasting fuel tanks on unsuspected moments, luckily, i reacted way to fast to detach the already low DV engines.

screenshot20.png

screenshot22.png

Finally, Orbit!

Now, the only thing i need is a Duna encounter.

screenshot23.png

screenshot24.png

done!

Now let's actually go to Duna.

screenshot27.png

screenshot30.png

screenshot33.png

That should do it!

screenshot34.png

Goodbye Kerbin...

screenshot36.png

*85 days later*

screenshot40.png

Hello there Duna!

screenshot42.png

Damnit, we were so close...

mmmmm... ike...

screenshot44.png

screenshot50.png

screenshot51.png

oh, and btw here's a small proof that i also made a fly-by to ike(although the image above of Duna and Kraken Prime's Trajectory was very clear)

screenshot58.png

blehhh, stupid fuel tanks, y u no work?!?!?!

now, the only thing i need is a Kerbin return maneuver, it won't be harder!:D

screenshot61.png

mmmmmm... apparently it doesn't want to encounter on the most closest way... i guess i should wait for the perfect moment.

screenshot65.png

screenshot66.png

ughhh... why doesn't it want to encounter!?!?!

*one year later*

screenshot81.png

Ahhh, finally, a return maneuver.

screenshot82.png

screenshot84.png

Yes! Finally!

screenshot93.png

Welcome back Jebediah!

at this point i had to do multiple aerobraking methods, luckily, it wasn't too insane.

screenshot97.png

screenshot98.png

screenshot99.png

now let's reduce our speed so we can atleast achieve a Kerbin orbit.

screenshot101.png

screenshot102.png

That should do it!

screenshot103.png

Second Aerobraking

screenshot107.png

screenshot113.png

Third Aerobraking

screenshot116.png

screenshot118.png

screenshot119.png

Fourth and final Aerobraking

screenshot124.png

screenshot125.png

screenshot131.png

screenshot132.png

screenshot135.png

screenshot137.png

Before i accidentaly kill jeb, i'll eject him. I could have saved the capsule, but unfortunately i couldn't.:(

screenshot139.png

screenshot143.png

screenshot147.png

Prepare for Landing Jeb!

screenshot148.png

Oh... well, at least you're okay.

now, let's plant the flag

screenshot150.png

hehehe... wait... noooooo.. it's a KSP flag! not a damn jeb flag.:mad:

nevermind... i'll just go and explore the remnants of the re-entry spacecraft.

screenshot153.png

bleh... nasty useless engines...

screenshot154.png

I need some help

To be honest, i guess i should do 1 or 2 instead, that was way too intense and dramatic.:unsure:

Just to let you know, i used Texture Replacer to give a new look to Jeb, and of course a Milky Way Skybox. Luckily, none of these has altered my gameplay, only the visuals, and no MechJeb or KER!

First Part 3 submission in this thread. Looks nice! You earned yourself a Level 3 badge ;)

16 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

For Part III, does it have to be a planet?  Like, do moons such as Ike count?

It has to be a planet. Innerplanet moons don't really provide that much of a challenge: dV requirements for Ike and Gilly are roughly the same as for Mun, so you can pretty much reuse a Mun-landing capable craft for those. And other planets except Jool don't have any moons in the first place.

Only exceptions I will make are Jool's moons since you can't land on Jool (for obvious reasons). I gotta update the top post accordingly :D

Hey there lads, coming up with my Level 3 vessel

F7iIPlJ.jpg

This spacecraft has 2 booster stages and one stage for interplanetary burn to Duna. The rest of the journey will be completed in the lander. Ascent is trivial by this point

Spoiler

woX9P5f.jpg

Hf3gS34.jpg

mvK3b1Y.jpg

uJdz1S8.jpg

jTfKOKo.jpg

After reaching Kerbin orbit, I am setting up a maneuver that will bring Jeb to Duna and then execute the burn

Spoiler

UEuucaw.jpg

ChEkoiU.jpg

Flying in interplanetary space for the first time. If you look carefully, you can see Kerbin on 2nd picture (small blue dot right of the Sun) and on 3rd picture you can see Duna (small red dot on the right side)

Spoiler

BS7u803.jpg

5BZUiQd.jpg

uiZZufv.jpg

Approaching Duna. I actually got a cheeky Ike fly-by too

Spoiler

Wo6CUaR.jpg

Landing attempt was risky: I went for single direct reentry low into Duna atmosphere in hopes that the air density will be enough to sufficiently slow down. After reentry I did a suicide burn and landed softly on the surface. To my own surprise, I nailed this whole section (from reentry to landing) first time O_O

Spoiler

DKZSKuA.jpg

sHkUIVs.jpg

HyQZN1X.jpg

rDRj6NQ.jpg

Wntowko.jpg

Cz9lzoL.jpg

Jeb is chuffed by this landing too

Spoiler

3cJL0Wc.jpg

W63MGrH.jpg

After making his way back to the ship (jetpack has enough thrust to reach the command pod without ladders) Jeb takes off and reaches Duna orbit

Spoiler

98hTcrb.jpg

HNuRfrD.jpg

Z76YNU8.jpg

zn0ZvyP.jpg

Then I set up a maneuver for Kerbin return, waited a very long time till the transfer window came around and burned towards home (can be seen on 2nd picture as a blue dot)

Spoiler

rrvxluh.jpg

jNcIlyh.jpg

W2T95iH.jpg

Approaching home

Spoiler

Hz51nES.jpg

I did a lot of passes through upper atmosphere before I slowed down sufficiently

Spoiler

8Agnvea.jpg

1MVjBWg.jpg

oJIjxYJ.jpg

Unfortunately, despite having enough fuel left, my engines didn't have enough TWR for powered landing, so Jeb had to ditch his lander and parachute to the ocean

Spoiler

nQ75M0L.jpg

OLU4Ooa.jpg

lSo7rMr.jpg

2V4Ta5m.jpg

And there he is! Jeb safe and sound back on Kerbin after a nearly 2 year voyage. Level 3++ completed, and first landing on another planet in this thread ;)

e08KB6z.jpg

• 5 months later...

Gonna revive my challenge thread with a Minmus lander

pC6ByBy.jpg

Nothing special to say about it really. Lifting stage with Swivels and one Reliant. Lander with NERVA

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

axRhx2v.jpg

8FvkTAI.jpg

TCsF2HE.jpg

5JGS4FD.jpg

qWkNLjF.jpg

9VrL6gD.jpg

NERVA doesn't have enough TWR to land on Kerbin, so I ditched the lander and parachuted down

5PBiHII.jpg

The lander, however, miraculously survived: engine was destroyed, but the crew pod was intact. However, it won't qualify for the extra + due to its engine being destroyed

8b4cT3t.jpg

Anyone wants to have a crack at this? And before someone asks: KAL-1000 exploits are considered cheating and are not allowed in this challenge

Edited by OJT

On 6/23/2022 at 12:20 AM, OJT said:

Anyone wants to have a crack at this?

I'm taking a crack at it, and ran into an odd issue right away.

The new version of the LVT30 engine is not heating the part below it, so 'hot-staging' isn't working.  Oddly, the old version of the LVT30 does successfully heat up the part below it.  

The LVT45 does not appear to have the same issue- both versions (new and old models) seem to blow up the part below them just fine. 

For ships that need the LVT30, I'll use the old version.  Curious if anyone else has seen this issue?

Ok, here's my first entry.  This is a level 1+ (I think) entry.  I'm using DLC.

The ship and launch:

Spoiler

The ship in the SPH.  Not sure how many parts are DLC, but the inflatable airlocks are definitely from the MH DLC.  I'm using the old version of the LVT30 engine (upper stage) because I can't get the new version to blow up my lower stage.

dMJ2uwE.png

Sitting on the pad, ready to go.  Hmm, just noticed I have monopropellant, that's probably a waste.  I don't think any of Jeb's parts are capable of using mono prop.

5OithEv.png

Climbing out, watching the fuel in the lower stage.  I'll use an action group to shut down the lower engine, and activate the upper engine.  

An8rVlf.png

Lower stage has been dropped, blown off by the upper LVT30.

pxmzcj5.png

Orbit achieved.

3fqSDD7.png

Coasting in orbit, waiting to find a good place to de-orbit.

aBBRlyS.png

The re-entry:

Spoiler

Airbrakes deployed.  When deployed, they do actually add some drag.

gJaHNdr.png

Re-entry.  I was surprised, nothing threatened to overheat.

ezvBahp.png

I did several orbits, trying to hit open water during daylight.  Kerbin must be at least 50% water, but I still nearly managed to miss the water!  

RnwhChV.png

About time to use the engine again.  The drag from the airbrakes should keep it upright, but just in case I'll also lock SAS to radial out.  I'm using the LVT30, which doesn't have thrust vectoring.

Lh5kjYk.png

A safe splashdown.

OPmrrMx.png

Jeb inspecting the ship.  It's still in one piece!

r6xYmup.png

Another shot, showing that the engine is still intact too.

s6YK51n.png

For my next attempt, I'm considering orbital assembly.  Pretty sure I can make that work, even limited to Jeb's parts.  The inflatable airlocks can dock to each other.  Docking without RCS thrusters is difficult, but I've done it before..

Edited by 18Watt

On 6/23/2022 at 12:20 AM, OJT said:

And before someone asks: KAL-1000 exploits are considered cheating

LOL!!!   I actually looked to see if the KAL was in Jeb's list, because I might have a legitimate, non-cheaty use for it.  It is not one of Jeb's parts.  But I'm confident someone will ask about it anyway..

I'm working out ways to use the little Ant engines as RCS thrusters, to aid maneuvering for docking.  I thought I could just tie them to the translation controls using action groups, but now I don't think that will work.  Looks like I'll need to use action groups to turn on and off the individual thrusters as needed.  It'll be a little clunky and awkward, but 99% sure I can make that work.  Which leads me to my next question:

If I do manage to perform orbital assembly, it would most likely involve a second pilot bringing up additional components.  Of course Jeb would pilot the main vessel, but if say Val piloted the second launch, would that still fall within the rules?  If not, I'd just need to return Jeb to the surface to pilot the second launch- not impossible, but would be easier if a second pilot could pilot the second launch.

1 hour ago, 18Watt said:

Ok, here's my first entry.  This is a level 1+ (I think) entry.  I'm using DLC.

The ship and launch:

Reveal hidden contents

The ship in the SPH.  Not sure how many parts are DLC, but the inflatable airlocks are definitely from the MH DLC.  I'm using the old version of the LVT30 engine (upper stage) because I can't get the new version to blow up my lower stage.

dMJ2uwE.png

Sitting on the pad, ready to go.  Hmm, just noticed I have monopropellant, that's probably a waste.  I don't think any of Jeb's parts are capable of using mono prop.

5OithEv.png

Climbing out, watching the fuel in the lower stage.  I'll use an action group to shut down the lower engine, and activate the upper engine.  

An8rVlf.png

Lower stage has been dropped, blown off by the upper LVT30.

pxmzcj5.png

Orbit achieved.

3fqSDD7.png

Coasting in orbit, waiting to find a good place to de-orbit.

aBBRlyS.png

The re-entry:

Reveal hidden contents

Airbrakes deployed.  When deployed, they do actually add some drag.

gJaHNdr.png

Re-entry.  I was surprised, nothing threatened to overheat.

ezvBahp.png

I did several orbits, trying to hit open water during daylight.  Kerbin must be at least 50% water, but I still nearly managed to miss the water!  

RnwhChV.png

About time to use the engine again.  The drag from the airbrakes should keep it upright, but just in case I'll also lock SAS to radial out.  I'm using the LVT30, which doesn't have thrust vectoring.

Lh5kjYk.png

A safe splashdown.

OPmrrMx.png

Jeb inspecting the ship.  It's still in one piece!

r6xYmup.png

Another shot, showing that the engine is still intact too.

s6YK51n.png

For my next attempt, I'm considering orbital assembly.  Pretty sure I can make that work, even limited to Jeb's parts.  The inflatable airlocks can dock to each other.  Docking without RCS thrusters is difficult, but I've done it before..

First thing first: Level 1+ verified! Interesting utilization of inflatable airlocks. Will add you to the hall of fame

2 hours ago, 18Watt said:

The new version of the LVT30 engine is not heating the part below it, so 'hot-staging' isn't working.  Oddly, the old version of the LVT30 does successfully heat up the part below it.  

The LVT45 does not appear to have the same issue- both versions (new and old models) seem to blow up the part below them just fine. 

For ships that need the LVT30, I'll use the old version.  Curious if anyone else has seen this issue?

I never used the newer versions of engines in this challenge (at least I don't think I did?). However, I did have issues with some engines not being able to burn off fuel tanks. Particularly the NERVA: it appears its exhaust is not as hot as in other engines? Even though AFAIK in real life NTR burn their fuel at higher temperatures, but I might be mistaken on that

The workaround I found useful is to use a FL-A5 Adapter as sort of a decoupler between stages: it is thin enough to be burned off by NERVAs and Terriers and doesn't add too much mass to the total. I didn't test it with smaller engines like Ant or Spider though

41 minutes ago, 18Watt said:

I'm working out ways to use the little Ant engines as RCS thrusters, to aid maneuvering for docking.  I thought I could just tie them to the translation controls using action groups, but now I don't think that will work.  Looks like I'll need to use action groups to turn on and off the individual thrusters as needed.  It'll be a little clunky and awkward, but 99% sure I can make that work.  Which leads me to my next question:

From what I know, you need KAL-1000 to properly assign engines to RCS controls, so you might need a workaround for this

If I do manage to perform orbital assembly, it would most likely involve a second pilot bringing up additional components.  Of course Jeb would pilot the main vessel, but if say Val piloted the second launch, would that still fall within the rules?  If not, I'd just need to return Jeb to the surface to pilot the second launch- not impossible, but would be easier if a second pilot could pilot the second launch.

As this challenge is all about flexing Jeb's ego, he must do all the flying. Which means he will need to return to Kerbin to pilot the second launch if you want to assemble a ship in orbit

However, the rules also state that you are allowed to bring other kerbals to your missions which you can use to your advantage. So, for example, if you build an Apollo-style ship you can leave Val in the Orbiter and pilot the Lander with Jeb, so when you return back to orbit you can tell Val to target the Lander's docking port, making docking easier

I actually looked to see if the KAL was in Jeb's list, because I might have a legitimate, non-cheaty use for it

Well, it's your lucky day! I have a topic from a fellow forum user just for you :wink:

Edited by OJT

7 hours ago, OJT said:

The workaround I found useful is to use a FL-A5 Adapter as sort of a decoupler between stages: it is thin enough to be burned off by NERVAs and Terriers and doesn't add too much mass to the total. I didn't test it with smaller engines like Ant or Spider though

Yep, when the new FLT30 wouldn't burn through the FL-A5 I knew something was amiss.  That part doesn't have much thermal mass, shouldn't take long to blow it up.

7 hours ago, OJT said:

So, for example, if you build an Apollo-style ship you can leave Val in the Orbiter

That makes sense- thanks for clarifying!

On 11/20/2021 at 7:59 AM, Staticalliam7 said:

Man, this is a cool challenge. I'm just glad we have a swivel..

Hmm... I feel like the reliant is more meta even in this situation. You can just use command module torque on small rockets, and if you have multiple engines, throttle them with action groups. Paying that much performance for a gimble is not meta.

5 hours ago, Pds314 said:

the reliant is more meta

5 hours ago, Pds314 said:

that much performance for a gimble is not meta.

Perhaps.  But a kromulent engine like the swivel embiggens the smallest rocket.

Level 2+++ Complete! (I think..)

I was going to test out orbital assembly, but decided to just go for Minmus.  Still planning on making orbital assembly work in this challenge, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ship and Launch:

Spoiler

The ship in the SPH.  Booster stage uses a Bobcat and 4 LVT30s.  Upper stage uses a Cheetah.  I meant to switch the Cheetah out for a LVT30 on the upper stage.  I forgot to do that.  Works great in space, but I needed the thrust of the LVT30 for landing.  Made it work- after about 10 attempts.

uH44hCK.png

Sitting on the pad, ready to go.  Actually, I'll wait until my launch window, so I can launch directly into Minmus' inclination.  I put an adapter plate under the Cheetah, seems to work fairly quickly for 'hot-staging'.

2Qw6y9K.png

I usually try to launch directly into an inclination within 1.0 degrees of Minmus.  I got fairly close, I can make 1.2 degrees work.

E0MNgdX.png

Burning for Minmus from LKO.

D7xaqle.png

Burning for Minmus.

dfXslR7.png

Orbit of Minmus.

UVFTODi.png

Minmus Landing:

Spoiler

Looking for a nice flat spot.  There's one!

orLedPS.png

Landed.

MW3zY1P.png

Flag.

h4j1UzV.png

Leaving the surface of Minmus.

2s8jc1k.png

Back in orbit, ready to burn for Kerbin.

enT5cbf.png

Return to Kerbin:

Spoiler

First re-entry pass at Kerbin.  The engine got really hot and threatened to overheat.  Luckily the ship is aerodynamically unstable, and I was able to make it tumble fairly easily.  Tumbling helps to distribute the heat over the entire ship, instead of being concentrated on one part.  It worked, but was a little scary.

8049gef.png

Once it slowed down enough to go deep into the atmosphere things were fine.

206hJcx.png

The first of many landing attempts.  The Cheetah doesn't have enough thrust to land safely.

Iie4Dzq.png

Another attempt.  This one was also a failure.  I ended up starting my burn at about 6500 m, basically running full blast nearly all the way to the surface.  During the last 500 m or so I was able to throttle back a little, saving gas for the final touchdown.  During several attempts I actually ran out of gas, most of the time I just started the engines too late and wasn't able to slow down.

bB1OzPP.png

I did finally make it work, but would have been much easier with a LVT30 engine.  The Cheetah works great in space, but isn't good at all in atmospheres.

HFNLxsJ.png

Jeb atop his ship.

HqD9LKP.png

In addition to using the inflatable airlocks for orbital construction, I have another use for them:  They make an excellent and lightweight re-entry capsule for Jeb!  Unfortunately, you can not control an engine (to de-orbit) from inside the airlock.  So Jeb has to get out and push.  But that's OK, his jetpack has plenty of DV to deorbit an airlock from LKO.

I need a cheap way to get Jeb back to the surface, because if I do orbital construction Jeb needs to fly all the missions.  

10 hours ago, 18Watt said:

Level 2+++ Complete! (I think..)

I was going to test out orbital assembly, but decided to just go for Minmus.  Still planning on making orbital assembly work in this challenge, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ship and Launch:

Reveal hidden contents

The ship in the SPH.  Booster stage uses a Bobcat and 4 LVT30s.  Upper stage uses a Cheetah.  I meant to switch the Cheetah out for a LVT30 on the upper stage.  I forgot to do that.  Works great in space, but I needed the thrust of the LVT30 for landing.  Made it work- after about 10 attempts.

uH44hCK.png

Sitting on the pad, ready to go.  Actually, I'll wait until my launch window, so I can launch directly into Minmus' inclination.  I put an adapter plate under the Cheetah, seems to work fairly quickly for 'hot-staging'.

2Qw6y9K.png

I usually try to launch directly into an inclination within 1.0 degrees of Minmus.  I got fairly close, I can make 1.2 degrees work.

E0MNgdX.png

Burning for Minmus from LKO.

D7xaqle.png

Burning for Minmus.

dfXslR7.png

Orbit of Minmus.

UVFTODi.png

Minmus Landing:

Reveal hidden contents

Looking for a nice flat spot.  There's one!

orLedPS.png

Landed.

MW3zY1P.png

Flag.

h4j1UzV.png

Leaving the surface of Minmus.

2s8jc1k.png

Back in orbit, ready to burn for Kerbin.

enT5cbf.png

Return to Kerbin:

Reveal hidden contents

First re-entry pass at Kerbin.  The engine got really hot and threatened to overheat.  Luckily the ship is aerodynamically unstable, and I was able to make it tumble fairly easily.  Tumbling helps to distribute the heat over the entire ship, instead of being concentrated on one part.  It worked, but was a little scary.

8049gef.png

Once it slowed down enough to go deep into the atmosphere things were fine.

206hJcx.png

The first of many landing attempts.  The Cheetah doesn't have enough thrust to land safely.

Iie4Dzq.png

Another attempt.  This one was also a failure.  I ended up starting my burn at about 6500 m, basically running full blast nearly all the way to the surface.  During the last 500 m or so I was able to throttle back a little, saving gas for the final touchdown.  During several attempts I actually ran out of gas, most of the time I just started the engines too late and wasn't able to slow down.

bB1OzPP.png

I did finally make it work, but would have been much easier with a LVT30 engine.  The Cheetah works great in space, but isn't good at all in atmospheres.

HFNLxsJ.png

Jeb atop his ship.

HqD9LKP.png

In addition to using the inflatable airlocks for orbital construction, I have another use for them:  They make an excellent and lightweight re-entry capsule for Jeb!  Unfortunately, you can not control an engine (to de-orbit) from inside the airlock.  So Jeb has to get out and push.  But that's OK, his jetpack has plenty of DV to deorbit an airlock from LKO.

I need a cheap way to get Jeb back to the surface, because if I do orbital construction Jeb needs to fly all the missions.  

Level 2+++ verified! Adding you to the leaderboard

This challenge got into Honourable Mentions for the Thread of the Month! I wanna thank everyone who took part in it so far and who nominated the thread!

And we're gonna celebrate it with the first Level 3+++ ship of this thread!

ZXkROkN.jpg

cwuvWqV.jpg

Fat launch platform and a lander with a Swivel. I chose Swivel for the lander because it has good TWR in atmosphere, somewhat decent ISP in vacuum, has thrust vectoring AND an alternator for electricity generation

Ascent was vertical up to around 18-20km and then I slowly started turning prograde. The reason for late turning is high drag of the craft. If I start the gravity turn lower in the atmosphere the craft spins around and loses control

Spoiler

tKqm9jV.jpg

etIVSgl.jpg

WRWDcnq.jpg

I did fairly well with the launch: after disconnecting the lander I only needed around 250m/s burn to enter stable orbit

Spoiler

pReKj3F.jpg

LlIZTJq.jpg

qcsKNTg.jpg

Burning towards Duna. I also turned on my TUFX for eyecandy

Spoiler

HMRWlsj.jpg

mfwR0LC.jpg

Approaching Duna after small midcourse correction

Spoiler

hWLKbbx.jpg

gKe4PVe.jpg

Direct entry into atmosphere and we landed in Highlands of Duna

Spoiler

PDwSXvS.jpg

rlYoRFG.jpg

g2plnuS.jpg

UZmICaQ.jpg

lTRgbzv.jpg

Jeb marking his landing spot

CMIYmU6.jpg

Takeoff into Duna orbit

Spoiler

EWu1AmE.jpg

oyZsJX8.jpg

yUjZSNR.jpg

GvArOpC.jpg

P8HybMB.jpg

Burning towards Kerbin

Spoiler

Reo2iVe.jpg

jdU3IsA.jpg

Approaching Kerbin. I had to do three aerobrakes to slowdown for landing. One of them was during a solar eclipse, it looked surreal

Spoiler

W1jFc30.jpg

Aerobrake 1

EC64UX8.jpg

uLOIprM.jpg

Aerborake 2

bAAbJPo.jpg

Aerobrake 3

RVxwv9P.jpg

Approaching surface and landing. I was hoping for a splashdown, but I had more than enough TWR and fuel for a suicide burn

Spoiler

sALBX7x.jpg

o3QKB9r.jpg

p5ohC38.jpg

We are home, with lander intact and Jeb alive and well! Level 3+++ completed!

pQUYdly.jpg

uPpdrDU.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.