Cinematic Trailer Parts Discussion

t_v

I don't know if anyone has done this before in here, but the cinematic trailer showcases a lot of parts, and I want to discuss them.

First, the bad stuff. I didn't notice any radiators that looked different from KSP 1. the biggest engines just had a whole lot of the same small radiator, and they were all the same material. If we are going to have small craft with high-power engines, I would like to see a small but powerful endgame radiator. Also, unless some serious optimization has been done, all of those small structural parts are going to seriously lag out the game.

Next, the good stuff. Colonies can have absolutely immense parts, and ships share some parts with colonies, as the Daedalus ship had the exact same tanks as the dock it was attached to. Solar panels have a larger maximum size in the last colony, and there are absolutely immense dishes for long range communication. There are larger tires than before, and they don't have long attachment sections which means they are more customizable. There is also a new pod for rovers, which has a sort of hexagonal profile (not sure if this will be expanded into a whole "rover" size class but I'd like to see at least a cargo bay and battery section/probe core with the same profile) which is shown with a large stick antenna and the new storage containers, which are hexagonal. (still not sure why sci-fi has settled on the hexagon when a sphere or cylinder contains more volume for the same surface).

Now, the sort of overlooked stuff. The rotating habitats don't appear to be one pair but actually a collection, with a center rotating section and an outer ring, which can be attached to the center by multiple points, indicating that the way that attachment works is going to be different than KSP 1. Or it could just be one part, but it doesn't look that way. Second thing, some ships have comms dishes put on spokes far from the central body. I'm not sure why this would be, unless it had something to do with interference and radiation, but then wouldn't keeping the dishes close to the craft, safe behind the radiation barrier be better? 

Anyways, that's all I found interesting. If there are more things in other gameplay clips that provide more information, put them below!

They've said that all the parts we can see in the trailer will be in the game. However, in the trailer, we can see old Poodle, you know, the one with tiny bell. But if we look at a screenshot from vab from a later video, we can see it in revamped form. Then we can see a bunch of other engines, slightly changed as well. syY6QlV.png

I bet if you look at every bit of gameplay footage that has been released so far, you'd see even more parts, in old or new form.

30 minutes ago, t_v said:

(still not sure why sci-fi has settled on the hexagon when a sphere or cylinder contains more volume for the same surface).

Don't forget about the squished sphere (disk). :sticktongue:

ncc-1701-renovated2.jpg

Wait, in that photo it says "cost/stock" which I think means that you can keep the parts when you recover a craft and use them to rebuild the craft! So on top of all of the other design optimizations, you can try to go for low cost by recycling parts from other missions! This is already kind of derailing, but that is so cool.

4 minutes ago, t_v said:

Wait, in that photo it says "cost/stock" which I think means that you can keep the parts when you recover a craft and use them to rebuild the craft! So on top of all of the other design optimizations, you can try to go for low cost by recycling parts from other missions! This is already kind of derailing, but that is so cool.

Yep I believe it was confirmed that when you land a ship on a colony, you can put it in storage for later use. Or dismantle it for resources.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They've said that all the parts we can see in the trailer will be in the game.

Unless Intercept reiterated that, I wouldn't take much stock in it. While the core concept has remained the same, so many details about how KSP2 should look have changed when development moved to a new studio, that a lot of older concepts might very well have been abandoned. I would imagine many parts have been re-designed, replaced, or simply cut.

I think, by now, the original reveal cinematic trailer might as well be considered fan art. I'm sure we'll see a lot of what's there in the final game, but by no means should the trailer be indicative of any final features.