Making a endurance class interplanetary ring ship.

Cloakedwand72

Does anyone know how to make something similar to the Endurance space craft from the interstellar movie? I’m wanting to make something similar with the stock alike station parts mod with the corridors that you can customize to different angles also I want to make sure it has crew compartments and some engines. Pretty much I want to make my own Jedi star fighter style hyperspace attachment well at least 50/50 aesthetically as well as provide some function and career role play with the artificial gravity built in. Any tips? 

On 11/25/2021 at 12:30 AM, Cloakedwand72 said:

Pretty much I want to make my own Jedi star fighter style hyperspace attachment

I... I feel relevant for the first time in years...

0MqI6uT.jpg

Full log available at 

Anyway, all you need is radial symmetry. Go for maybe 12+, flip your fuselage/fuel tank sideways, and drag it out away from the central point. You might need Editor Extensions Redux to make this happen. I used to use the UbioZur Welding mod to reduce part count and physics calcs, but I'm not sure it's still available. I may have done a few variants of rings in the past... you don't really need parts mods, you just need unlimited offset in the VAB and lots of patience. Some big launcher options do help however, because a ring is not, not, not aerodynamic :D

Spoiler

hPy0oKm.jpg 

---

Re artifical gravity in a spinning ring... I mean, KSP does have a physics model that will technically work with that. But if you don't build yourself something with a navigable inside, there is nothing with a navigable inside, so you can't tell whether or not there is centrifugally-induced 'gravity'. You can make a ring out of crew cabins where "down" is always outwards, for sure, and I think Stockalike Station Parts has some of those ready made that might be a starting point for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.