kraken message theory

ChubbyCat

In the latest KSP 2 feature video, the audio message at the end when decoded, shows a picture of a rocket leaving a system of planets, with an octopus/kraken creature there as well. In a 2019 interview between Shadowzone and Nate Simpson, when asked about the possibility of alien species being in the game, he said he had no comment but “there are some pretty interesting things out there”. My theory is that they will actually add krakens as an alien species from a different star system! It might not be so surprising either considering krakens are essentially cannon, being that there’s a dead on on Bop, and also in this video 

Thoughts?

Well, I guess technically, speaking strictly from a lore perspective, there was at least one creature to exist in the KSP universe known as the kraken, as shown by the kraken easter egg on Bop (There might be another one somewhere else but I may be mistaken about that). However, as far as adding a literal kraken species to the game, it seems a bit of a stretch if you ask me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but most likely improbable given what we know about the current direction of the game. Could be a neat thing though to find other kraken easter eggs elsewhere in the galaxy.

2 hours ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a plant

defenetly a plant. atleast one planet in another solar system should probably be habitable and have plants. that would make sense for multiplayer wich would make two completely different starting places. and if not that i would still think plants would be somewhere out there

We’ve seen the “lapat” file which has trees and grass, and which is presumably a different planet. The vegetation also looks similar to Kerbin, indicating that the planet orbits a similar star and that evolution took it down a similar path. Perhaps the kerbal universe was populated by panspermia and the end game will be to find an origin planet, hence the kraken which will presumably be pointing to another planet in the third secret message. I’d be fine with having actual moving animals as long as they are stuff like the kraken, where interaction is limited and it is not taken as a serious species but rather as a mysterious plot point. 

As much as I'd enjoy there being more to it, sometimes an Easter egg is just an Easter egg with no deeper rabbit hole hiding behind it.

11 hours ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a plant

Given the new procedural placement for vegetation and scatter they've put together, I think the temptation to fill at least one other planet out there with vegetation is going to be too much. I would fully expect at least one planet with alien plants.

5 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Yeah it would be kinda cheap to just make abother planet eith green trees and grass.

There's a bit of a typical problem when developing environment assets where 3D artists need to have some idea for the layout before they can make good assets and environment artists need assets to create the layout. When making maps, usually, the map artists or designers will block out the environment first, for example, using very simple shapes. Then real assets are placed as needed. With vegetation, blocking things out doesn't work, so the workflow is usually using whatever you have that sort of looks right. Its's not unusual at all to see completely wrong biome plants in the first pass, with an artist responsible for vegetation coming in and using this first part as a starting point to begin making appropriate assets.

I don't know if that's really the case here, but it's at least one reason why we might see very boring plants on "Lapat", with the intention being to create something more exotic later. Of course, it could also be just an unused prototype or a testing planet, or any number of other things. Including possibility of a yet another planet with boring green terrestrial-looking plants somewhere. But yeah, I also hope that if there is alien vegetation, it looks reasonably alien.

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

There's a bit of a typical problem when developing environment assets where 3D artists need to have some idea for the layout before they can make good assets and environment artists need assets to create the layout. When making maps, usually, the map artists or designers will block out the environment first, for example, using very simple shapes. Then real assets are placed as needed. With vegetation, blocking things out doesn't work, so the workflow is usually using whatever you have that sort of looks right. Its's not unusual at all to see completely wrong biome plants in the first pass, with an artist responsible for vegetation coming in and using this first part as a starting point to begin making appropriate assets.

I don't know if that's really the case here, but it's at least one reason why we might see very boring plants on "Lapat", with the intention being to create something more exotic later. Of course, it could also be just an unused prototype or a testing planet, or any number of other things. Including possibility of a yet another planet with boring green terrestrial-looking plants somewhere. But yeah, I also hope that if there is alien vegetation, it looks reasonably alien.

Great insight! I hope we get some vegetaion. Lapat would be a pretty cool name.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait… 

On 11/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, jastrone said:

defenetly a plant. atleast one planet in another solar system should probably be habitable and have plants

If we combine the theories, we get

oh gosh…

KRAKEN VENUS FLY TRAPS

Edited by SSTO Crasher