Kopernicus Development Discussion

R-T-B

Kopernicus present-development discussion and Poll for next development month (month of December)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What should R-T-B work on next?

• Option 1.) Fix Terrain Scatter elevation bug regression (currently this was my plan).
    • Option 2.) Better builtin comet control (we have like, only stock system and external mod options now) .
    • Option 3.) Fix stock shadows (right now, they are horribly glitchy and scatterer is nearly a must-have to make them right).
    • Option 4.) Fix KittopiaTech up to work better (pretty janky right now), maybe update the wiki some.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2021 at 07:59 AM

Kopernicus is a project with a million different things I can work on (no shortage of oddities/bugs) and only time for a few, so I thought it might be useful to make a thread to poll users on what needs working on the most.

I will also update this thread with what I am working on now, usually.  There is also a list of options for what I should work on next, and you can also provide your own custom input, naturally.

What I am working on now:  I am working on the new KopernicusWatchdog subsystem, ensuring it actually totally fixes the sinking-landing-gear-on-distant-bodies-Terrain bug, and reconsidering my life choices regarding it.  Making it opt-in rather than opt-out is being considered, as is providing small patches for a large number of possibly "abandoned but working" mods that break with it.

What we can work on next:

Option 1.) Fix Terrain Scatter elevation bug regression (currently this was my plan).  Also take a hard look at the systems performance in general, hopefully for the last time.

Option 2.) Better builtin comet control (we have like, only stock system and external mod options now) .  Note that I hate this option, and last time I tried it, it nearly killed me, but I'll try again if community wants it.

Option 3.)  Fix stock shadows (right now, they are horribly glitchy and scatterer is nearly a must-have to make them right).  This is probably the easiest option, unless of course, it isn't.

Option 4.) Fix KittopiaTech up to work better (pretty janky right now), maybe update the wiki some.

Don't be constrained by those choices, I will add your custom choice if it sounds good, that's just off the top of my head.

Other minor bugs that may be more important than I think can probably be found on the github issues page.

Bugs that are ineligible for this / should be punted over to KSPCommunityFixes (because I don't do the things they do with lowlevel bug fixing):

1.) The interstellar-range distance part overheating bug (seems to be in stock code).

2.)  Anything else that is a stock bug.

Disclaimer on the poll:  This is not a poll I am mandated to follow, but I will try to at least consider the community when choosing what to do.  Just don't be shocked if I go for the 2nd place option or something if I like it a lot more.

Edited by R-T-B

6 minutes ago, Clonos said:

oh hell yes the stock shadows looking like, ya know, shadows, would be nice

I may after-the-fact fix that one in December even if something else wins, given it's probably the easiest and might be able to be squeezed in, but vote for what you feel is most important obviously.

I agree its super annoying.

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, Arekva said:

Better do the bug fixing for now, so yeah either shadows or scatters

My list if I were to sort them for my preference, from highest to lowest priority:

Option 1: Scatters

Option 3.:Shadows

Option 4: KittopiaTech/Wiki work

Option 2: Comets

So yeah, unlike KSP, I prefer bug-fix first, features later.

Edited by R-T-B

While the others are tempting, scatters are no. 1 priority for me without a doubt. Sometimes it'll be hard to tell is the problem is on the user/developer end instead of the Kopernicus end, and having confusion is no bueno. It also looks terrible in general.

26 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

My list if I were to sort them for my preference, from highest to lowest priority:

Option 1: Scatters

Option 3.:Shadows

Option 4: KittopiaTech/Wiki work

Option 2: Comets

So yeah, unlike KSP, I prefer bug-fix first, features later.

I would agree with this ordering as well

1 hour ago, Weak Player said:

Really wanted Kittopia to be fixed its kinda doing a little weird acts rn but Ok, Lets see the results

This is more a "priority guidance" vote than a "strict set of rules" vote.  If I have spare time, Kittopia may still get looked at.  I know it's holding planet authors back.

Honestly anything that appears in this list isn't far off from getting attention, they are the top tier bugs.  This is strictly for December.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.