[v0.0.5][KSP 1.12.x] Simple fuels for RSS - Have fun exploring the solar system with stock/stockalike parts and real(ish) fuels

mateusviccari

KokaLoka - Delicious beverages and rocket propulsion research - proudly presents to you:

Simple Fuels for RSS
(or any other 10x stock sized system)

DOWNLOAD HERE (github)

Requirements:
ModuleManager
CommunityResourcePack

Recommendations:
SMURFF (highly recommended)
CommunityTechTree
Kopernicus and RealSolarSystem

This set of configs use B9PartSwitch to add different variants to parts in game. Similar to RealFuels but in a simple way, and not (at all) trying to be realistic.
The focus of this mod is exploration of the entire solar system without having to build Burj Khalifa sized rockets, enabling you to replicate real world spacecrafts (Space shuttle, Saturn V, Soyuz, etc) with stock parts + making history DLC, or parts from other compatible mods, while still leaving you with a good leftover delta-v, just like stock does. This means that rockets destined for low earth orbit are a bit of an overkill (you can enter orbit with a MK1-2, a single jumbo 64 tank and a skipper engine - low earth orbits are actually easier than low kerbin orbits. Not so much when going to the outer solar system, mercury, venus, etc.

Starting from version 0.0.5 there are two main ways to play:

Without SMURFF

• Also known as "RSS easy mode"
  • Tanks carry less fuel (lighter tanks overall)
  • Engines get a great ISP buff
  • Rockets are going to be small

With SMURFF (Recommended)

• Lets SMURFF change tanks' dry masses
  • Tanks carry a great deal more fuel
  • Engines get only a slight buff in ISP
  • Rockets are going to be bigger

Current changed parts are:

-Tanks with Liquid fuel / Liquid fuel + Oxidizer have different combinations of Kerosene (RP1) , Liquid Hydrogen, Aerozine50, Liquid Methane, and their respective oxidizers, Liquid Oxygen or NTO
-Rocket engines, Vernier RCS, and rocket mode of hybrid jet engines (RAPIER) now work with fuel mixtures above
-Tanks with Monopropellant RCS now have Hydrazine (Only one RCS fuel for now, hopefully more to come)
-RCS thrusters work with Hydrazine
-Solid rocket boosters run on PBAN or HTPB. The former gives more thrust while the latter gives more Delta-V. (see note 1)
-Jet engines run on Kerosene
-Nuclear engines run with either Liquid Hydrogen or Liquid Methane, and have another mode where you can also add Liquid Oxygen to make it 3 times more powerful at the cost of some ISP (see note 2)
-Xenon tanks have the stock Xenon Gas and now Argon Gas, which is a little less efficient but way cheaper
-Ion engines run with either stock Xenon Gas, or Argon Gas, and have another mode where the thrust gets increased  3 times at the cost of some ISP and a lot of electric charge. (see note 2)

Cryogenic fuels do not boil off! I'm not a plugin developer and this mod does not have realism in mind. It only brings real fuels to the game so you can build good looking rockets.

*1 - For now, to switch SRB modes you have to switch BOTH the engine AND tank. I will try to fix this later. 
*2 - There's a little bug when changing the mode in flight where if you do it while the engine is active, it adds another fuel bar to the engine icon. This is only a visual big and can be prevented by shutting down the engine before changing mode. It goes back to normal after a save/reload

Other changes

-Changes Fuel cells to consume the same fuel mixtures as rocket engines
-Changes ISRU parts to produce the fuels used by the parts
-Remove Stock fuel resources from everything (hopefully) (see note 3)
-Unlock fuel mixtures from the tech tree

*3 - It does not remove stock resources from saved crafts. You have to build them from scratch.

Example

Zow2wEE.png

Compatibility

I made this settings to play with Stock parts but it should work with any other mod adding stockalike parts balanced to the stock Kerbol system.
I don't plan to make this compatible or balance mods that already add more fuels.
Compatibility patches provided for Procedural parts (Fuel tanks + SRB) and B9 Procedural Wings.
Tested with Restock, Restock Plus, Near Future launch vehicles.
If you find any incompatibilities with a mod, as long as it is stockalike, please let me know.
I also accept suggestions. Please write a comment and I will see what I can do. Feel free to make pull requests on the GitHub source.

Edited by mateusviccari
v0.0.5

On 12/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, 1FingerSalute said:

Any way to activate this for procedural tanks?

There you have it, Sir. Please let me know if there are any other parts mod you'd like compatibility to be added.

https://github.com/mateusviccari/SimpleFuelsForRss/releases

Version v0.0.3:

• Added supported for procedural parts (procedural tanks and solid rocket booster)
  • Fixed tank costs
  • Remove Community Tech Tree hard dependency, which is now just a recommendation.
Edited by mateusviccari
Forgot the link

9 hours ago, 1FingerSalute said:

Very nice, adds a lot of choices for fuel weight and thrust versus DV. Thank you very much. Performance seem pretty spot on for a casual playthrough. The only other mod I would think would be B9 procedural wings. Didn't check this time, but it wasn't supported in the last iteration.

I can make patches for that too. I was actually planning that for the next item in the to do list. 

Just now, 1FingerSalute said:

Very nice, adds a lot of choices for fuel weight and thrust versus DV. Thank you very much. Performance seem pretty spot on for a casual playthrough. The only other mod I would think would be B9 procedural wings. Didn't check this time, but it wasn't supported in the last iteration.

Released v0.0.4:

• Addes support for B9 Procedural Wings

https://github.com/mateusviccari/SimpleFuelsForRss/releases/tag/v0.0.4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...