Race to Proxima Centauri

295 days 22 hours 19 mins 14 secs

I would come under Modded section (using HKM LFE G1, I think that's the only modded part using, maybe struts and stuffs like that.)

screenshot6.png

screenshot10.png

Note: as seen in the last picture after ending the flight, the top speed was 104,820 m/s

screenshot12.png

This speed would remain constant from about 900G to anything further. Safe to assume this speed would not decrease anymore since we are well further then the sphere of influence of the sun.

And finally, the End flight summary.

screenshot13.png

Hope you liked it :P

295 days 22 hours 19 mins 14 secs

I would come under Modded section (using HKM LFE G1, I think that's the only modded part using, maybe struts and stuffs like that.)

What are the specs of the HKM engine? Further, modded struts can be very important! I know if i had stronger struts to hold my craft together I could have lofted another 10,000m/s worth of fuel onto my ship!

Also, can we have a picture in the VBA or on the launchpad?

The HKM LFE G1 That i used is here: http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/kerbal-space-program-mods (second in the list) Liquid Fuel Engine Mods. LFE-G1 Liquid Fuel Rocket Engine

I'll post launch pad pics later, or if you want, i can attach the .craft file? It has enough fuel to go to any planet, using only the first stage fuel, then you can detach and have your lander module land, and it has enough fuel to reach back kerbin from the inner planets ( i haven't tried landing and returning from Jool).

work in progress:

no nasty hacks, only Electrical plugin and Ion engines :)

(and mechjeb and some parts from various packs)

97FE9.jpg

I'll leave it running. It might break the lightspeed barrier before reachting 1Tm. :cool:

b3xhC.png
Edited by 1of6Billion

wait, its possible to ge to other stars and systems?! huh, gotta look where my 2 rockets currently leaving sun soi go...

EDIT:whoops ,sorry then, it always shows me the last post /facepalm

Edited by dimovski

I'll try this with 10x modded parts (to give an idea of the order of magnitude of final speed with ridiculously overpowered parts). Do not add this to the leaderboard...

Edit: It'll take me about an hour to finish off my last burn. I'm at 82km/s at the moment.

As for a proper go, I'll do it in the Demo...

So, with a speed at burnout of 175.3km/s, and a speed at one billion km of 174.9km/s, I get a time of 7273 years.

Edited by SunJumper

Reached 506.000 m/s!

Which translates to 2.519 years travel time to Proxima Centauri :cool:

udwzU.png

Did some calculations. It would take another 3559 hours of PC time to reach c. :')

So, I pulled the plug. Sorry Jeb ;.;

Edited by 1of6Billion
added pic

I dont know how to post a pic but I did this a while ago with mods and got a speed above 75,000.

Step One: Press F2 in game to take the screenshot

Step Two: Using Windows Explorer, go to your game directory and enter the "Screenshots" folder. (Example file path: C:\Games\Kerbal\Screenshots\)

Step Three: Upload your screenshot to a site such as http://www.imgur.com or http://minus.com/

Step Four: Copy the "Direct Link" URL

Step Five: Paste the direct link to your post and type DO0gB.png around the link. (example: QGvTc.png)

Step: Six: Submit your post.

Leaderboard updated. Nice rocket andydouble07 - I assume it's stock (apart from the mechjeb)? Anyway, you've beaten me.

1of6Billion - That's more like it! Maybe we can get under a millennium with a few more tweaks!

Well.... The thing is, the ion enines would have kept accelerating forever. So, if I let them burn longer, travel time will decrease.

The ship is still out there, a few hundred billion km's away :)

Sorry SunJumper, but I'm going to limit this challenge to 0.17, or whichever patch is current in the future.

Note that the mods leaderboard is not about 'cheating', or exploiting bugs in the game. It's more of an 'unlimited' category, where you can enter ships which have infeasibly high delta V. It also gives the stock entries something to aim for!

Ended my flight !! :( but final speed was only 9890 ms/s -ish.

My second attempt.. which I also ended >:| was around 16000ms/s but that was measured at around 300Gkm-ish.

Either way it was my 'get into orbit using only atomic engines' ship and I whacked on a huge chain of other rockets, was a fun challenge and something I've never done!

Like sun diving! (Not sure if I did it right :)

ekfbph.jpg

ECwxTh.jpg

New to this, is modded anything DLC? and stock only stuff that came with 17.0 with no add ons? if so then I've got a modded ship that could get to Proxima Centauri in 3,129 years. Though if I spend time on a better trajectory and more time engines on before going worp, I may just take first place, though I dread doing it again as it takes so long, also sorry no screen shot a 1,000G I flew this mission awhile ago and never toke screen shots, this is it currently, you can assume it has not increased in speed since 1,000G if anything only slowed down.

vector10.png

I got a new highscore with stock parts:

22214 years.

qzhDO.jpg

bTDld.jpg

Keyfeature is the last stage, which jettissons empty tanks whenever the are empty. This is way more efficient than just adding a bunch of large fuel tanks. There is still some potential left, but i dont want to do this time consuming process again. Maybe by saving ~500deltaV during bi-elliptic transfer to sun or some planetary slingshot, but it would take even longer.

Edited by Max Schram