Threads of the month: December 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
December 2021 Edition

JStFYES.png?1

Hello all you brave space adventurers and explorers of Kerbin!

It's already December - and if you're like me, you wonder where the time has gone. There's only 30 days remaining in 2021 and then we're off - into a new year full of new possibilities. I want to thank the modders who have continued to add to the richness of Kerbal Space Program.  There are a lot of folks here on the forum and on the Steam Discussions area, and even a few Facebook groups lamenting the fears of Kerbal Space Program being "dead."

As a fellow gamer and a dedicated member of the community, the classic Kerbal Space Program is far from dead. Sure, with KSP2 in development and even though KSP is officially finished development, the game continues to advance because of the hard work and dedication of the modding community, many who have a history of being a part of the development team of the original game.  The original game has a lot of future left. On the community campus where I work, I have college students who I proudly introduce to the game and the wonderful community where I am glad to be a member.

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In November, there were 306 new forum accounts created (a decrease of 61 from October).  Of those, 128 have actively posted content (defined as having at least one post). This means that roughly 41.8% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (while the number of new accounts is down, the number of active new accounts is up by 0.4% ). If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for December:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, there were no threads nominated for this category.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. This month, we have one thread in this category:

This month, we feature a mod offered by @Exo's Lab where small minor planets are added to the Kerbol system. It's described in the OP as:

I have worked on this mod for a few months now. It all started after I failed to find a mod that added analogues to various minor planets that was on par with something like OPM, or at the very least compatible, and the few mods I did find were all outdated. I took it upon myself to make a mod myself that would fill in these missing niches in the Stock+OPM system. Particularly, asteroids, comets, centaurs, and dwarf planets. I wrote down a list of nine objects, and now, four months later, I have now created my first planet pack!

All of these new worlds were made from hand-drawn maps, with very little reliance on stealing from real world objects to ensure a stock-alike feel. This mod is made to be used along side OPM, think of it as an unofficial, fan-made expansion pack for OPM.

So, if your Kerbals, space probes, or other space exploration needs are looking for some strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and civilizations, or to - Yeah, anyhow, if you're looking for more exotic destinations to send your space-faring Kermen within the Kerbol system, then this mod might be the one for you!

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:

For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals.

The Thread of the Month for this category is truly in a class all its own. Although many of us long-time forum members recognize the avatar of @Galileo, there were others helping on this team of modders we also want to recognize. Those names are familiar to many of you who are in the modding community and those of us others who love using mods. The rest of the team who worked on this mod include @JadeOfMaar, @OhioBob, @R-T-B, @Gameslinx, @Angel-125, and @TheRagingIrishman. I'd like to say on behalf of the KSP community - "wow!"

In case you are not familiar with this challenge, the description on the OP says it all:

You can now take on the challenge of achieving the DART objectives for yourself using the DART Range mod for Kerbal Space Program.

With the installation of DART Range, Didymos and Dimorphos are added to the Kerbal universe. Didymos is classified a “planet”. Like other planets and moons in KSP, you can orbit and land on Didymos, but you cannot alter its orbit. Dimorphos is classified a “part”. Like asteroids and comets in KSP, you cannot orbit or land on Dimorphos, but you can redirect its path and change its orbit. You can also grab Dimorphos using the grabber unit.

Didymos and Dimorphos are tiny targets that offer a difficult navigational challenge, but if you are able to guide a spacecraft to an impact with Dimorphos, the resulting changes are real and immediately observable. Do you have the right stuff to save Kerbalkind from a deadly asteroid impact? Take to the DART Range and find out.

Do not attempt this challenge if you don't have patience, don't want to spend hours playing Kerbal Space Program, don't want to wear out the <F5> and <F9> buttons, or even start the mission all over again, then this is not the challenge for you. Wait, that sounds a lot like my first week of playing KSP anyway!

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:
This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. For this month, we have two threads in this category.

In this mission report by @Jack Joseph Kerman, the decision was made to take the Elcano challenge a little further than most of us dared. The idea for the mission report sets the stage for what will be a great read with some fantastic screenshots:

There are few KSP challenges that have intrigued me more than the Elcano challenge. I've known of it for years, but until recently assumed it would just be a boring slog that takes no skill whatsoever, just hold down W until you make it around the planet. However, upon inspecting it further, I then realized how much more there is to it. It takes fortitude to sit through the boring stretches of driving, engineering prowice to design the optimal rover, and keen driving skills to minimize your risk of crashing.  I then decided that I wanted to give it a go for myself. 

If you're looking for a good read, an inspiring story line, and some neat things to try on your own voyage of discovery, then why not visit this thread. You'll be glad you did.

This is the second thread in this category for this month, and is one who caught the attention of a lot of our forum. This thread, by @The Destroyer is a great example of what can best be described as an immersion into Kerbal Space Program's potential to be that game.  What I mean by "that game" is for many of us, Kerbal Space Program allows us to do the things we always dreamed about as kids (and some still do). :)

The Destroyer states:

With the help of many RO content creators, and members of the RO community, I present a RSS/RO edition of the classic Build, Fly, Dream trailer! I hope you enjoy.

Yes, @The Destroyer,  we did enjoy. We enjoyed it a lot. :)

If you need motivation to find your long-lost love of Kerbal Space Program, then watch this great video presentation.

Honorable mention:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mention for November 2021 is:

The honorable mentions for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for December! We'd like to thank @Spaceman.Spiff, @Superfluous J, @zer0Kerbal, @Admiral Fluffy, @Kuiper_Belt, @Interplanet Janet, @AlamoVampire,   and the members of the moderation team and staff who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

And this month, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to @UomoCapra for allowing me to serve as a member of the KSP moderation team and for the other endeavors he has given me an opportunity to be involved. Oh, and since I was asked to ping the community manager in the TOTMs... (this began in October, @KSP Star, you've been pinged!)  :P

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed last month's threads of the month, you can click here.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut

First!

Nice job guys! What a month!

Edited by The Doodling Astronaut
grammer correction

44 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

This is the second thread in this category for this month, and is one who caught the attention of a lot of our forum. This thread, by @The Destroyer is a great example of what can best be described as an immersion into Kerbal Space Program's potential to be that game.  What I mean by "that game" is for many of us, Kerbal Space Program allows us to do the things we always dreamed about as kids (and some still do). :)

The Destroyer states:

With the help of many RO content creators, and members of the RO community, I present a RSS/RO edition of the classic Build, Fly, Dream trailer! I hope you enjoy.

Yes, @The Destroyer,  we did enjoy. We enjoyed it a lot. :)

If you need motivation to find your long-lost love of Kerbal Space Program, then watch this great video presentation

This was good fun to participate in!

Great work TD, and congrats to all!

On 12/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, adsii1970 said:

As a fellow gamer and a dedicated member of the community, the classic Kerbal Space Program is far from dead. Sure, with KSP2 in development and even though KSP is officially finished development, the game continues to advance because of the hard work and dedication of the modding community, many who have a history of being a part of the development team of the original game.  The original game has a lot of future left.

I second this.

Congratulations to all the worthy winners.

(Don't blink or it will be January.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.