Rediscovery: Now in Graphic Novel Style! (Chapter 18)

Watermel00n

It had been 12 years since the 7th Kerbin War ended. 14 years since the space program ended.  Kerbals have always had a habit of worldwide conflicts, having fought 5 in the last 50 years. But this war was different, it was worse. Massive armadas of ships were deployed only for a handful to return. In the end, the Kefrican Federation won, but at what cost? Retired director of the old Space Program John Kerman brings the old kerbonauts and scientists back together, but with the economy in ruins and almost a decade of work destroyed, will they be able to succeed in bringing Kerbalkind to space? 

This is a story/mission report with a lot of Forgotten Space Program Influence,  but is kinda based on my old, dead version 1.11 career.

Modlist:

1AzZVW9.png

Enjoy the story!

Chapters:

A new beginning

01-A great start

02-Old parts, new mission

03-Like peas in a pod

04-KOOSE on deck!

05-Boring stuff number 1

06-The Anomaly

07-Project Rediscovery

The Elcano (note, this is done in another unmodded save to make the entry stock)

08-The Roadtrip

09-The Elcano Begins

10-Bumps and a "tiny scratch"

11-Over the Rim

Back at the KSC :12-Intercept

Back at the KSC :13-The Plan

Back at the KSC :14-Flight of the Dynamic

Back at the KSC:15-Doppelganger

Back at the KSC:16-Old props and old kerbonauts

17-Back to the Elcano

18-Cliffs and Craters

Edited by Watermel00n

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 1: A great start

bl0x52h.png

John Kerman banked his single-seater electric plane as it approached the launch site. He felt lucky to have bought one of those before the war started.

XEB5Llc.png

AydieSu.png

KcPELgK.png

He lined up his plane for landing, buzzing the makeshift headquarters/ launch tower, touching down on the parched sand.

31vJYt0.png

After parking his plane, John took a seat in the launch tower.

UCySoFY.png

FG1RPFW.png

"And liftoff of the Sounder 1!"

iGlsgw3.png

"using spin-stability"

IMj4z8F.png

"The radar on the plane detects a piece of debris, the rocket seemed to survive the crash" John said

ivTxkTk.png

"A great start to the space program"

Edited by Watermel00n

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapter 2: Old parts, new mission

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year 1 Day 67

We could do this for a long time.

Before the war started, the KSP stocked up on 50 units of the mass-produced XLV-2 launch vehicle, Rockomax's most used launch vehicle, featuring the usual core and two SRBs. Now, Rockomax Industries has shut down, and we have to maintain the rockets ourselves. The public, however, doesn't approve of using these launch systems. In my opinion, as long as we knew how to keep the rockets in good condition, we are fine. 

Yesterday I met up with the CEO of AtomicTech Inc, a rising company in post-war aerospace, A.T. Kerman.  I have been working closely with him to see if AT Inc could reverse engineer the XLV-2 using their Junkyard™ technology. I haven't seen any success yet. For now, we will have to rely on our 50 remaining rockets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year 1 Day 74

That's record speed!

The KSP has been able to mash together two Duna probes, an asteroid capture system, a minmus lander and a D2 service module to make the KORV Hunter - in only 5 days!. (that's Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous Vehicle, Diary) It should be able to rendezvous with the Hope Orbital Research Platform and still have fuel left to explore some anomalous space junk. I went to the Gene Kerman Space Observatory yesterday and was able to capture an image of XLA-1 (eXtra Large Anomaly 1). It seemed to be long and spindly, and rapidly spinning. It would be nice if the Hunter could explore that.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Y1D75

Vr5SFxa.png

KORV launch on a XLV-2

pyBCflz.png

J28rjib.png

"Mission control,  we have a clean booster separation and on the way to orbit" John heard Sudos' voice on the radio, and breathed a sigh of relief. The launch had been stressful at least and nerve-wracking at worst. The moral of the story was simple - Old computers don't work well with new software. Sudos, Anlorf and Kathbert knew that perfectly well. The outdated K+2 system lagged every time an adjustment was made. Luckily, Sudos and Kathbert were both pilots and could correct the trajectory manually - in a fairing. Without a proper escape system or parachutes, the crew would have to bail out and land by personal paraglider if it was necessary. 

qFylM2c.png

"Clean stage sep" squeaked Anlorf. Yes, John and Anlorf were old friends from kerbegarten. Anlorf was always a  "scaredy-kat" and was scared by everything. Everything. John still wondered why he was chosen for this dangerous mission.

3 mins later

ZIjh26x.png

Everything had gone well, stage seperation, boosters, orbit insertion, and now it was time for the real challenge. Rendezvous with a laggy computer and a target on shutdown mode. Grabbing the Hope Orbital Research Platform.

20 mins later

VtbH1Fn.png

Approaching HORP

dIl9fgy.png

Detached 2nd stage, preparing grappler

dZwVZsM.png

Slowly forwards...

q0BFx2n.png

"Mission control, we have a solid dock," Kathbert calmly mumbled, contrary to the situation in the Mission control: Chairs were being overturned! Staff dancing on tables! Coffee getting thrown by staff into other's faces!

We have entered a new age,  John thought, sipping his coffee despite the chaos in the room

And he was right.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Like peas in a pod

Year 1 Day 80

gORDIfZ.png

While the crew of the Hunter were getting all systems on Hope Station online, the KSP planning team were planning. Planning for big dreams. But to compete the plan, the KSP needed a new, compact pod.

o2tOMbE.png

Enter the K2. Produced by Castor-Pollux Industries, the K2 could squeeze two kerbals in a 1.25 pod. It could ferry kerbals to stations and beyond. But first, it had to test its abort sequence because safety first.(mostly)

oYWrlfM.png

After much shaking, the K2 finally slid off the Jeb's Junkyard Hammer Booster, despite the booster thurst being turned down to 60%.

iotjhts.png

The test did not go as planned, but the KSP had not given up on the K2 yet... 

Edited by Watermel00n

Chapter 4: KOOSE on deck!

Year 1 Day 80

fvLfhxt.png

ULlaz3R.png

O2OSCP1.png

Q6ygqB5.png

TRi2cvQ.png

Launch of the KOOSE(Kerbal Out Of Space Easiest) Escape pod Hub

dMFk1V8.png

Deployment of payload

duZgLvf.png

Rendezvous with Hope Station 

QoK4tA1.png

Slowing down to stationkeeping

X7fQuFZ.png

Coming in with the help of Kathbert to guide the Hub in.

Zo5pT5G.png

Docked! The crew of Hope Station are much, much safer now.

Chapter 5:  Boring stuff number 1

869tMRe.png

A large electric plane is tested.

R9EluFA.png

The K2 command pod passes safety regulations

SnXqVv3.png

KRHJJd2.png

LSNMnfV.png

GWmIksr.png

Jeb goes back to the KSC... in that.

2ALcAVK.png

wooAoev.png

OenRY7B.png

v0EG9ZY.png

OPhSeyz.png

A budget resupply mission is launched on the K2 launch system, while simultaneously testing a new service bay. That's Morty the budget kerbal at his best! 

E7nKqz0.png

O0AXEmf.png

The Hunter "steals" the fuel from the KOOSE second stage. It's now ready to explore the strange Anomaly XLA-001!

Background info #1

KE - Krater Expedition (you'll see later)

Evolution of kerbals +first civilisation

Spoiler

230000 BKE - Kerbals evolve 

180000 BKE - Kerbals use stone weapons

170000 BKE - Kerbals hunt large prey

100000 BKE - Kerbals make fire

76000 BKE - Kerbals build first underground shelters to hide from the meteorites that hit from 76000 BKE - 69000 BKE

50000 BKE - First cave art found. Kerbals still live primarily underground

34000 BKE - First civilization found, the Kerbonian Cave Kingdom. Housing was underground and farming was done on the surface.

30000 BKE - Kerbonians wiped out by barbarians.

Kerbland Republic

Spoiler

30300 BKE - Kerbonian caves inhabited by the Kerbish, who make the first republic. They elect 5 councils who vote on decisions.

28000 BKE - Kerbish caves expand to present - day Kerfrica. Wheels invented.

27900 BKE - The Great Bluetown fire breaks out, suffocating ~6000 kerbals.

27800 BKE - Kerbish revolution breaks out. All 5 councilkerbs are executed.

27790 BKE - Kerbish state of Oklon separates from Kerbland to make the Oklon republic. War breaks out.

27750 BKE - Kerbland-Oklon war ends. Meanwhile, Keroocians attack from the north.

27730 BKE - Keroocian scientists discover gunpowder and cannons. They take multiple Kerbish forts in the north.

27690 BKE - Bunwed, the second largest city in  Kerbland surrenders. Kerbish escape to Roundria.

27680 BKE - Kerbland falls. Dark ages begin.

Industial Ages

Spoiler

10000 BKE - Kerblish sail to Kermaria with a fleet of 56, but only 22 reach their destination due to storms.

4000 BKE - Kerblish establish many cities in Kermaria

3000 BKE - Kerblish and Keroocians discover coal at around the same time.

1000 BKE - 99% of kerbals live underground. Kerbals have evolved bigger eyes to see underground. Iron found by Keroocians.

231 BKE - Kermarians steal the secret of how to smelt iron in an epic heist.

143 BKE - Kermarians invent first steam engine, is widely used.

98 BKE - Steam train invented in Kermaria, runs along underground tunnel.

2 BKE - Steam carts invented.

1 AKE - The Krater expedition starts. Krew must wear special eyewear to avoid permanent eye damage from the sun.

25 AKE - Krater expedition ends. Discovery of many species of grass. Desertlands discovered.

67 AKE - Sea salt is widely used to season food. Saltville founded, supplies over 60% of Kerbalkind's salt.

120 AKE - Kerblish drive over the the Desertlands and sail up the Kile river. First contact with Keroocians.

125 AKE - Kerblish trade with Keroocians and both nations benefit.

140 AKE - 80% of Kerbals live underground.

153 AKE - 20 ships from Keroocia sail to the Kervon sea, starts colony.

167 AKE - Kervon colony fights for independence.

171 AKE - Kervon is now a nation and is kommunist.

179 AKE - Kervon has a population of 6 millon kerbals out of 50 million kerbinwide.

200 AKE - Kervon and Kermaria disagree about the Koot peninsula, well known to be a good spot for gold mines.

Kerbin wars 1-4

Spoiler

201 AKE - Kervon declares war on Kermaria. 1st Kerbin War starts.

207 AKE - Kermarians driven out of Koot by the Kervonian navy.

209 AKE - Kermarians surrender. Kervonians take Koot. Total deaths: ~120000 kerbals

213 AKE - Kermaria launches surprise attack on Kruh Island in the Koot peninsula. 2nd Kerbin war starts. 

215 AKE - Kervonians destroy more than 90% of the Kermarian navy, surrender. Total deaths: ~32000 kerbals.

250 AKE - Oil is widely used. 50% oil comes from the Kery Coast. High prices are charged on Keroocia.

259 AKE - Keroocia invents planes.

261 AKE - Keroocia bombs the Kermarias, 3rd Kerbin war starts.

267 AKE - 3rd Kerbin War ends with a stalemate. Total deaths: ~50000 kerbals

268 AKE - Roundria declares independence from Kermaria, situation with Keroocia too tense for Kermaria to care.

269 AKE - 4th Kerbin War starts. Roundria launches first probe.

272 AKE - 4th  Kerbin War ends with a stalemate. Total deaths ~43000. Roundria sends first probe to orbit.

276 AKE - 5th Kerbin War starts. Roundria send kerbal to orbit, space station and mun probe. Kerblish space initiative Kerbin Space Exploitation Company starts 

278 AKE - Fearing Roundria would side with the Keroocians and orbitally bomb Kermaria, Kermaria  takes Roundria by force. All rockets are destroyed.

History's not done yet, to be continued

Chapter 6: The Anomaly

Year 1 Day 99

Iw0bW7N.png

Hunter sets off on its first anomaly mission with Sudos and Kathbert.

"I'm scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaared!!!!!! I'm aloooooooooooooooooooooone!!!!!!!!!!!!" Anlorf shouted as he saw the Hunter disappear from view.  

"Calm down Anlorf, you can run the station by yourself" said Kathbert as she activated the two "Terrier" orbital maneuvering engines.

gYHfZg6.png

But soon, the casual trip would turn into a nightmare.

7DFTYa5.png

"Mission Control we have a bit of a problem with the electricity" Kathbert reported.

"It's too late to turn back now, you're almost at the anomaly. Anyways, you can always reenter and bail back to Kerbin." replied John. From the tone of his voice, it seemed very serious.

6VqZ3oK.png

"Mission control Rendezvous burn complete, burning towards XLA-1" Sudos said while activating the RCS.

As they drifted closer, Kathbert peered out of her window and exclaimed

M9ayiY9.png

"Mission Control, are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

LBJyits.png

"Come on Kathbert, get ready for docki- errrr, grabbing.

N21ULvP.png

After a minute spent trying to grab the defunct station or whatever it was, the Hunter had arrived.

hZ90BQ7.png

zrQaOTY.png

Using RCS, the Hunter stabilised the Anomaly and Sudos EVAed into the Anomaly.

WlmtHV0.png

"It's dark in here, let me turn on the lights- WHOA! Look at these scorch marks on the walls! Better send these pics over to Mission Control." Sudos examined the airlock and command module. 

rGEW4X5.png

Sudos snapped on the lights and life support while Kathbert EVAed over.

3dkz1AP.png

In the cupola, Sudos and Kathbert radioed Anlorf.

"So everything's okay?" Sudos spoke first.

"I've-'ve been hiding in this escape-ape pod for 2 hours..."

Chapter 7: Project Rediscovery

Year 1 Day 102

John Kerman looked at the ambitious plan ahead of the KSP. ...build long-term bases on the Mun and Minmus... 

M5Xo2eM.png

...build a long-range deep space fleet...

EtUIjvw.png

...send regular missions to Kerbin orbit...

Year 1 Day 105

haBh0eQ.png

The first K2 pod for Project Rediscovery launches for a "simple" crew transfer.

6dpMRv3.png

"WHOOHOO WE'RE GOING TO SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"

"Jeb stop yelling! You're going to deafen Mission Control."

"Bill stop worrying! We're back in space again! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..."

"mission control can i have permission to eva jeb without a spacesuit?"

Mh4OpeT.png

xhd9cck.png

"Yippee! WE'RE IN ORBIT!"

"my earssssss"

Later

goFAWNr.png

"Here anlorfy... come out, come out, wherever you are!"

"Jeb stop being weird..."

"HELP MISSION CONTROL THIS IS ANLORF AND I NEED HELP! JEB IS GOING INSANE!"

"come on, when I was your age I didn't have an escape rocket..."

vJtthxj.png

After an EVA transfer, Anlorf fired the "Terrier" and headed down.

mgS2i4e.png

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY SHIPS ON FIRE HELP HELP HELP"

"when I was your age..."

u36alYk.png

CY9yOyk.png

"Hey, why isn't Anlorf responding?" Bobak, the oldest mission control asked.

"I think he fainted..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...colonise Duna...

...explore the Jool system...

Big dreams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Year 1 Day 101

VoiovGD.png

The crew of the Hunter leave the Anomaly which was found to be Duna Spaceport, dating back to AKE 177. (current is AKE 211) 

Frofy4M.png

Duna Spaceport was found to be produced by KSEC, after finding multiple flags in the interior cabin and airlock.

YHShqts.png

Scientists believe that Duna Spaceport was lost due to an electrical fire in the computer system, simultaneously knocking out communications.

TNOa9OG.png

Thus, Duna Spaceport was not able to leave Kerbin Orbit. Historians had already found newspapers pointing to the failure of the expensive Spaceport as the cause of KSEC going bankupt.

IxNuGBo.png

RQDQBrB.png

Hope Orbital Research Platform

Population: 4

Edited by Watermel00n

Chapter 8: The Roadtrip

Year 1 Day 110

There was a knock at the door of the Mission control.

"Yes?"

"Good morning John Kerman, I'm Albert Kerman from Kerbin Broadcasting Network Corporation."

"Nice to meet you, but who are those kerbals beside you?"

"Those are Mauvey Kerman(pilot), Handrin Kerman(engineer), Joevin Kerman(engineer) and Newbas Kerman(scientist)."

"Ah i see. So what have you come here for?"

"We want to send them and that rover, the Grindstone Mk9 to the Mun. And make a TV show of them circumnavigating the Mun by ground."

"You-you mean an Elcano?"

"Yes, and I need you to send it there. We'll cover the launch costs."

"It's a deal."

dC2GWxZ.png

Chapter 9: The Elcano begins

Thanks to @18Watt for this amazing challenge!

I will be attempting a Mun circumnavigation (full stock)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joevin Kerman, Assistant Engineer on the Grindstone's Log Book 

Year 1 Day 122-123

Getting to orbit

Spoiler

CM1kgqW.png

0UlVYKj.png

Easy launch with those big fins. Little dark in that fairing though. Can't believe those folks at the KSC could put this together so fast. (yes, i uninstalled all the mods)

8E1FVeR.png

Clean booster sep.

tjhKvV6.png

Cruising to Apoapsis. Kerbin usually looks better than this but we had to install Elcanic Camera Viewer for us to qualify as stock.

kyNRRBx.png

RiWdgv9.png

Kcjjl5L.png

In orbit.

eznraAg.png

Picture from my camera

Going to Mun

Spoiler

ZTG4vtn.png

Leaving for Mun

wkLzN0R.png

It gets bigger...

Tde8AtO.png

and bigger...

I6VXy9S.png

Orbit insertion.

Landing (scary!)

Spoiler

hXDhpua.png

Suborbital

YQHHn3O.png

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GYw0B73.png

phew

SY7Y6d8.png

PWVomSn.png

Us in the Grindstone. Let's go!

Ynn7oV0.png

Mauvey plants the flag. It's time to start the Elcano!

Roles on our ship:

Mauvey - pilot (too daredevil in my opinion)

Handrin - chief engineer (he's a bit bossy)

Joevin - assistant engineer (that's me!)

Newman - scientist (he's a bit nerd but he has a good taste for snacks!)

Log end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Watermel00n

Chapter 10: (Elcano) Bumps and a "tiny scratch"

Year 1 Day 123

Start of Elcano (Elcano Marker 1) - Pit Stop 1

Spoiler

ZZ5ga9I.png

Down a hill broke a wheel

PB4E0Q8.png

We love flats!

f3sLfi3.png

I spilt my coffee!

X2UzDow.png

Going up a crater with rocket assistance. 

sIGhKGK.png

PIT STOP! Handrin fixes a solar panel and the wheel.

Ht53nMK.png

Handrin: Let's go! Joevin! You go in the front!

Me: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Pit Stop 1 -Elcano Marker 2

Spoiler

y0pglJS.png

I get to ride in the back cockpit since Handrin's shift is over! Yay! Much better view here

o81m4QY.png

Trying to avoid the crater

RtvLdp8.png

OOPS!

u5Atk21.png

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ZG1NG9j.png

After almost 5 minutes trying to get out of the crater and a very awkward TV moment, we decide to use the rockets to get out of the crater.

Pww7VAu.png

Newman: Nice rock can i have?

Mauvey: ......no.

VabVu0K.png

Not sure if we'll have enough kits for the journey.

QM6VAJK.png

I fixed the wheels and now Handrin sits in the front. Luckily in the back we can secretly take the snacks.

Newman: don't let them hear us

PEXCJFL.png

Me: *farts*

6dF2ze5.png

Newman: did your fart just break that tire?

Me: *blush* i hope not...

PkOD74e.png

Handrin: let's not fix that tire, so we can save kits.

JQxRYr1.png

Me: Ouch that hurt!

Newman: I heard some explosions!

Mauvey: the fuel cell blew, plus the back lights

Newman: did you fart again?

qVnOijP.png

NqN3f1I.png

Mauvey: Not again...

pAvzb28.png

Mauvey: luckily this rover can flip back up

Handrin: you're such a good pilot

Mauvey: ah yes I am

YLn9hpm.png

Group photo and a bit of a TV moment. I got to plant the flag!

p2ooSQ6.png

Handrin: It's dinner time! Wait, who took my snacks?

Me: *farts*

Handrin: *glares*

EwYuEZs.png

Very reminiscent of my own; comedically large fairing, and something always looks very odd when it pops off because of the way you have a rocket that ends in a vehicle. I fear in real space programs "land on the tail and fall over sideways" isn't an approved technique. :-)

How does the self-righting mechanism work, please?

Chapter 11: Over the Rim

Year 1 Day 123-128

Elcano Marker 2 -  Night Rest1

Spoiler

tcqfxKr.png

We're on our way!

xgkKSih.png

Egim6QX.png

We can barely climb up this hill.

kH9cEOC.png

Newman: Oh no the sun's going down

Mauvey: Its too dark, let's rest for tonight.

Night Rest 1 - Accident Site 1

Spoiler

DkCvtZH.png

Newman: ROCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK!

Handrin: What's so amazing?

Newman: *bursts into tears* HOW COULD YOU INSULT ROCK??? I TRUSTED YOU!

Handrin: ...

cLvjYMW.png

We're almost at the Rim! (to the right)

mbPdvyX.png

We break the battery in the front, destroying the front nose.

GxZZq2j.png

Handrin couldn't fix the girder by EVA construction so we'll have to wait.

Rover Puller launch 

Spoiler

EQwlhc1.png

fOJxrql.png

hDDbGLS.png

cftpjky.png

yUVxpi4.png

jPn4P83.png

sIpYt4A.png

Rover puller docking

lQtUnNp.png

Mauvey: Hold on lemme switch controls over to the puller

5c4fkMd.png

Everyone: It's here!

V5JNsuQ.png

Handrin: I'll go attach the docking port.

F2pes9Y.png

Everyone: Hooray!

Accident Site 1 - Elcano Marker 3

Spoiler

wZj6gl9.png

Let's go! The rover can now climb steep slopes like it's nothing.

1E3IZj7.png

We saw a rather interesting crater. Oh yeah and the vernier rcs broke :(

LqwfqOi.png

Handrin: you're such a great pilot

zWxJzwS.png

Handrin: Now i have to fix everything *groan* plus the batteries are gone. Might as well move the panels. Luckily I get to plant the flag!

QAe0HRo.png

Mauvey: Is there a leak in the life support? 'cause I cant find my snacks!

Me: ummmmmmmmm...

29Stldc.png

Edited by Watermel00n

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.