Any way to get the game in a different way for free, without piracy?

Quuy

Hello!
So I saw this Game on YouTube, and really wanted to play it.

However, there is a price for it.

I asked my parents for it but they don't like to pay for games online, and rather like buying the discs for games instead, which KSP does not have.

Is there any way to get the game free online? Like a steam deal during a specific time of year, or maybe even companies like Epic Games giving it to you?

ps: (I feel that KSP should be a free game, due to how educational and mind blowing awesome it is (:  )

Edited by Vanamonde

It's possible to buy gifts for other users on Steam if you know their username. Maybe you could convince someone to buy KSP for you. But since that would involve asking favors of strangers, I feel I should urge caution regarding your privacy, since you wouldn't want that stranger to know too much about you.

2 hours ago, Quuy said:

Sad but alright

Just try to convince them that letting you get KSP is a positive teaching tool, not just some dumb, explody game.

11 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

It's possible to buy gifts for other users on Steam if you know their username. Maybe you could convince someone to buy KSP for you. But since that would involve asking favors of strangers, I feel I should urge caution regarding your privacy, since you wouldn't want that stranger to know too much about you.

I second that!

Buying hard copies of games is a thing of the past, necessitated by the lack of alternatives (downloading games would take days on a dial-up modem) and the waterfall development cycle that was all about one big release then minimal updates afterwards. Games have gotten much bigger since then, internet speeds have increased by orders of magnitude so downloading takes far less time and software development has (largely) shifted to smaller, iterative releases with incremental changes- just look at KSP itself with big feature updates every few months then a series of bug fixes after that as issues are found and resolved.

If you’d bought KSP on a disk back when it was released as version 1.0, you’d be left with a horribly outdated version that would still require a sizeable download in order to be brought up to date, assuming your PC/laptop even has a disk reader in it (many don’t these days), plus you could lose or damage the CD/DVD/Blu-ray (delete as appropriate) and so lose the game completely. I’ve had games in the past that stopped working due to the CDs using formats that are no longer supported or because the code doesn’t work with a modern OS even with “compatibility mode”.

Hard copies of games are an anachronism, unnecessary in the era of fibre broadband and iterative games development. Unless your internet connection has a data cap or is chronically slow, downloading games from an online platform like Steam is the way to go.

4 hours ago, Quuy said:

Sad but alright

Do you have your own money? In Germany, you can buy steam gift cards in many stores, so you could do something like this and then use the card to  pay the game on steam. But I don't know what the situation is like in your country, for me it's a common way of getting games without asking my parents:wink:

8 minutes ago, Mahnarch said:

I haven't checked in a while; isn't there a demo that free but, only has Kerbin, Mun and Minmus?

The demos were shareware but are no longer offered by any official site, and I'd advise against trying to download it from any unofficial site. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.