How to get a man on Eve (easy)

awsumguy76801

Don't even think about watching the youtube tutorials. Scratch one launch missions, scratch giant over engineered landers. Here is the plan that I have done and that reliably put my first man on Eve.

1. Send probes, rovers, satellites (satellites are good because they give you communication)
  2. Send a space station and put in orbit of Eve
  3. send a fully fueled unmanned lander and dock it to the station 
  4. send a crewed spacecraft filled with Kerbals to the station, transfer them to the lander
  5. land on eve
  6. return to the space station
  7. return to Kerbin 

How is this better you may ask? It's better because a single launch has huge problems to overcome, mostly weight, packing a giant lander on a giant command module is not good, it will murder your delta v in cold blood. Sending a lander first that is ready at eve without you needing to take one with you makes things 10x more easy, having a space station in orbit is also great because you will quickly have a presence at Eve, and you could expand with a colony or go to gilly and colonize there. Try this guys it is the best solution.HzQjLOO.png

On 12/12/2021 at 11:48 AM, Mahnarch said:

I'm going to need photos of your craft(s), station, lander and, also, twenty bucks if you got cash handy.

Amen. I glanced at this thread hoping to actually learn something. I've had a hard time getting anything at all to land and get back to Eve orbit, even just cheating my craft into an initial Eve orbit for testing. Yep, if I could get something from orbit to the surface and back up, that would indeed be 90% of the work. Ferrying stuff from Kerbin to Eve orbit I could manage easily enough. Aha. Here I find out that all I needed to do was build a lander. Dunno why I didn't think of that. :-) Getting down to Eve is doable as long as I can keep the heat shield end pointed the right way. Heat shield and chutes do most of the work without much DV expenditure.

i don't think it makes much of a difference. in a normal eve mission, the ascent vehicle is by far the most heavy part, whether you send it with an orbiter module or with a station changes little.

I can recommend a three component architecture on what you send to eve: the lander/ascent vehicle, a return to kerbin vehicle, and a tug.

you arrive at eve, rocket brake just enough to put everything in elliptic orbit. detach the lander, have it airbrake gradually until it can land. return it to orbit. then (or perhaps after landing) you circularize the tug's orbit, and with the tug you pick up the crew. you return them to the kerbin return vehicle, which can now return with a limited cost.

I recommend this because circularizing around eve is 1300 m/s, and leaving low orbit is another 1300 m/s, so you don't want to move all your ship down there.

I'm... not sure exactly what you would gain by putting a station in eve's orbit, unless you were planning to have such a station anyway

I now realize, in ALL my eve missions i was doing a kerbalism grand tour with a multi kiloton mothership, so for me the lander was the small part. my experience is out of the ordinary. but the three part architecture, that i can always recommend

On 12/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, rmaine said:

Amen. I glanced at this thread hoping to actually learn something. I've had a hard time getting anything at all to land and get back to Eve orbit, even just cheating my craft into an initial Eve orbit for testing. Yep, if I could get something from orbit to the surface and back up, that would indeed be 90% of the work. Ferrying stuff from Kerbin to Eve orbit I could manage easily enough. Aha. Here I find out that all I needed to do was build a lander. Dunno why I didn't think of that. :-) Getting down to Eve is doable as long as I can keep the heat shield end pointed the right way. Heat shield and chutes do most of the work without much DV expenditure.

the point isnt really to show you how to make a craft the point is to show you how to make your eve mission more efficient. because you dont wanna carry a 60 ton eve lander around in space.

Getting to Eve is easy, it’s the getting back that’s the trick.

If you have Breaking Ground, electric propellers are a viable option to get you out of the soup and up to an altitude where most rockets will work at reasonable efficiency; if not, you’ll need to brute force the ascent using Vector or Mammoth engines- watch your fuel and try to keep your initial acceleration relatively low or the drag losses stack up very quickly.

A two launch mission is probably the most efficient way to do it- the lander will need a heatshield for re-entry anyway so stick an inflatable one on and aerobrake over many orbits to lower your apoapsis, while the other vessel will take your crew back home and should still try to aerobrake as much as possible to reduce the delta-V needed, or bring a small craft that can shuttle your plucky Kerbals up from low Eve orbit to their ride home (don’t circularise the ride home in low Eve orbit, the fuel cost to get back out again is huge!). Trim every last gram of weight on both crafts, even if it means carrying no science experiments or ripping pieces off the lander before the ascent, and you might- might- make it home again with some impressive stories to tell in the Astronaut Complex rec room.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.