Developer Insights #12 – Planet Tech

Intercept Games

22 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

This is great and really clever. I know resources and prospecting will be a big deal in KSP2, any thoughts on displaying things like resource and biome maps and other gameplay information in flight? Kerbnet was a clever solution but I always wished I could just see all that painted on the terrain as I was landing rather than trying to extrapolate from a small window with a slow refresh rate. 

this will hopefully allow it to run reasonably on ps4 and xb1

I still cannot get over how good it looks and how little lag there is! But one thing I’m curious about is if we’re getting support for mac. Me and my younger brother really want to play multiplayer together but I have a Windows and he has a Mac, if anyone has seen that there will be support for Mac and Cross-play with Mac I’d love to know. Also i haven’t looked at the steam page so idk of that’s been updated or what.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Pthigrivi said:

This is great and really clever. I know resources and prospecting will be a big deal in KSP2, any thoughts on displaying things like resource and biome maps and other gameplay information in flight? Kerbnet was a clever solution but I always wished I could just see all that painted on the terrain as I was landing rather than trying to extrapolate from a small window with a slow refresh rate. 

I liked the overlays SCANSat provided. It'd be cool if this functionality was provided in base game though.

Yeah in some ways elevation,  slope, and target/projected landing point overlays in flight would be the most helpful. I find if Im trying to land anywhere precisely it can be hard enough to intuitively understand my speed over the terrain and how steep the landing zone Im eying really is. It be fantastic to be able to scan the surface from orbit and then toggle through the overlays they produced in flight.

Edited by Pthigrivi

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah in some ways elevation,  slope, and target/projected landing overlays in flight would be the most helpful. I find if Im trying to land anywhere precisely it can be hard enough to intuitively understand my speed over the terrain and how steep the landing zone Im eying really is. It be fantastic to be able to scan the surface from orbit and then toggle through the overlays they produced in flight.

Honestly surface maps of all sorts would be great assets in this game. Obviously, there's resource maps and biome maps which the addition of space telescopes would fit well with but also maps like inclination maps that display the average slope of the terrain (green being flat, red being sheer cliff), or scatter intensity like rocks and debris with similar colored mapping seeing as this game may incorporate jagged terrain as an obstacle more so than in KSP 1 and players may want to isolate landing spots with largely clear areas with little debris. Along with all of these map types ways to interact with said maps would be great; such as, filters to isolate and only color regions with certain specifications. For instance, with the slope map have a filter that allows the player to only color regions with slopes of < x deg inclinations.

15 hours ago, TheSameKerbal77 said:

I still cannot get over how good it looks and how little lag there is! But one thing I’m curious about is if we’re getting support for mac. Me and my younger brother really want to play multiplayer together but I have a Windows and he has a Mac, if anyone has seen that there will be support for Mac and Cross-play with Mac I’d love to know. Also i haven’t looked at the steam page so idk of that’s been updated or what.

While its unknown if it will support Mac or not. in PC Gaming, games that support Mac will be able to play with Windows users no issues. Cross play between Mac and Windows has always existed, there won't be any reason why it won't work.

It's the same for Consoles, except the thing that stopped it for a long time is the ToS of Sony and Microsoft, other than that, nothing is stopping anyone to do Crossplay.

1 hour ago, TLTay said:

Lots of craggy looking terrain... it would be a shame if it was flat at kerbal-level...

(Me peddling for parallax-like terrain)

If you look at show and tell: terrain scatters, terrain will be fully 3D on the micro level (or at least there will be an option for that)

10 minutes ago, t_v said:

If you look at show and tell: terrain scatters, terrain will be fully 3D on the micro level (or at least there will be an option for that)

Scatters are 3d objects on the terrain mesh. I'm worried that the terrain between the scatter will be flat. The tech definitely exists to make it like the parallax mod for KSP1, but no indication they're taking that route. I wonder if the older consoles are holding it back?

10 hours ago, Thundy said:

While its unknown if it will support Mac or not. in PC Gaming, games that support Mac will be able to play with Windows users no issues. Cross play between Mac and Windows has always existed, there won't be any reason why it won't work.

It's the same for Consoles, except the thing that stopped it for a long time is the ToS of Sony and Microsoft, other than that, nothing is stopping anyone to do Crossplay.

So I’m not a tech guy but sounds like the answer I was looking for, thanks.

9 hours ago, TLTay said:

Lots of craggy looking terrain... it would be a shame if it was flat at kerbal-level...

That is really cool and realistic looking. They will have to balance that against making these surfaces traversable. Covering long distances in KSP1 is pretty tough as is. 

1 hour ago, TLTay said:

Is that a binary star system?

Look in the bottom video, right on the horizon before you can see the red star. It looks like there is another star just above the horizon...

Very briefly visible between 25 and 27 seconds.

More likely a moon.

Will the lighting stay white even though the star is red? The sunlight should be red in this system shouldn't it?

I recognize that, yes, this is in development. I'm commenting more for discussion. With the lack of comments on the subject, I get the sense that most players would have no problem with the sunlight being white even though it'd drive me crazy if it was.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.