Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

This is a thread to share fun facts, they should be space related, but if it's really interesting, doesn't have to be. It could be anything from something you learnt today to a very old story you heard years ago, as long as it's interesting and Forum Friendly.

I'll start:

Gordon Cooper (my favorite astronaut) had a guidance system malfunction on the final mercury mission, and then, in probably the biggest bunch of awesomeness in spaceflight history, used two pencil lines on his window, the stars, and his watch to navigate, and made the most accurate landing of all the mercury missions.

(Sidenote: he almost didn't get that mission because he buzzed the building that NASA officials were meeting in, with a jet. He is essentially the human equivalent of Jeb.)

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Removed 1 per day limit, renamed thread.

1 hour ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

This is a thread to share a fun fact a day, it should be space related, but if it's really interesting, doesn't have to be. It could be anything from something you learnt today to a very old story you heard years ago, as long as it's interesting and Forum Friendly.

Everyone gets one fact a day (although you can add a small related sidenote fact), multiple people can post in the same day.

I'll start:

Gordon Cooper (my favorite astronaut) had a guidance system malfunction on the final mercury mission, and then, in probably the biggest bunch of awesomeness in spaceflight history, used two pencil lines on his window, the stars, and his watch to navigate, and made the most accurate landing of all the mercury missions.

(Sidenote: he almost didn't get that mission because he buzzed the building that NASA officials were meeting in, with a jet. He is essentially the human equivalent of Jeb.)

Nope. That's the one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Conrad

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Olympus Mons is so large, if you stood at the base of it you wouldn’t be able to see the summit because it would be below the horizon.

Did not know, now it help that Mars is smaller so its easier to get below the horizon but its still the highest volcano in the solar system. 
Or is Hawaii higher from the ocean floor? Its the same volcano type after all but I guess the underwater part are steeper since the lava would cool fast underwater.

Edited by magnemoe

When Apollo's 12 Saturn V was hit by the lightining on the way up (and almost suffered catastrophic malfunction that was averted by one tech being steely-eyed rocketman), ol' Pete laughed all the way to orbit. If it is not Jeb's signature BadS trait, i don't know what is.

4 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

ATP synthase, the enzyme responsible for producing most of the chemical energy in the mitochondrion, is in effect a hydrogen-powered turbine very similar to a hydroelectric dam: hydrogen ions are pumped across a membrane and then flow back down the concentration gradient through ATP synthase, which rotates at several thousand RPM to turn adenosine diphosphate (ADP) into high-energy adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the cell’s energy currency. It even looks like a turbine in electron microscopy images.

Spoiler

At last, my molecular biology degree pays off on the KSP forums :cool:

35 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

ATP synthase, the enzyme responsible for producing most of the chemical energy in the mitochondrion, is in effect a hydrogen-powered turbine very similar to a hydroelectric dam: hydrogen ions are pumped across a membrane and then flow back down the concentration gradient through ATP synthase, which rotates at several thousand RPM to turn adenosine diphosphate (ADP) into high-energy adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the cell’s energy currency. It even looks like a turbine in electron microscopy images.

Hide contents

At last, my molecular biology degree pays off on the KSP forums :cool:

Now, why not inject oxygen to the hydrogen stream and run this over an catalyst before hitting the turbine. Yes cooling this might be an problem :) 
Make me think of the grendels in The Legacy of Heorot, in short it was an creature using pretty much an monoprop as energy storage in the cells giving them insane short term burst. Human response was an tiny dart with an catalyst making the monoprop breaking down. 20 of them in an shotgun shell, full auto for effect. 

Remedies

The traditional approaches were aimed at introducing damping to absorb vibration energy and on decoupling the periodic flow oscillations and the unsteady combustion responses. The highly turbulent combustion processes are complex and nonlinear, and it was usually not known in the early days which of the remedies listed next would be most effective in controlling a particular type of instability. From a practical point of view, several remedies have been satisfactory in eliminating the sudden occurrence of high-frequency destructive vibrations, but limited to specific LPREs and specific operating conditions. They included the following:

14) There was one remedy that worked well, and as far as this author knows was not practiced outside the Soviet Union. It is temporary baffles in the chamber, they can be seen in Fig. 8.5-9 (Ref. 14). They are made of feltlike material that is porous and combustible. They are glued to the chamber wall and are not part of the injector, as are U.S.-designed baffles. The temporary baffles work only during the start transient and the first few seconds of burning because they react with the combustion gases and are consumed. 

The engine in question is RD-0110 of Voskhod and Soyuz third stage.

There is a type of star called a Thorne-Zytkow object, which is utterly awesome due to being a RED SUPERGIANT with a NEUTRON STAR For A Core :cool: They are stars with stars inside of them! If that's not awesome, I don't know what is!

Below is a video about them featuring Doctor Emily Levesque, the first to discover an example of these stars, In Another Galaxy, and in real life in general:

These things are awesome!

Spelling

23 minutes ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

There is a type of star called a Thorne-Zhitkow object, which is utterly awesome due to being a RED SUPERGIANT with a NEUTRON STAR For A Core :cool: They are stars with stars inside of them! If that's not awesome, I don't know what is!

Below is a video about them featuring Doctor Emily Levesque, the first to discover an example of these stars, In Another Galaxy, and in real life in general:

These things are awesome!

isnt the sun a star with a white dwarf at its core, along with almost all other stars?

2 minutes ago, NFUN said:

isnt the sun a star with a white dwarf at its core, along with almost all other stars?

Not really, a white dwarf gets left behind after a star explodes, it's closer to the dead star's ashes, it's not really a separate object inside of it. (I'm fairly sure about that.)

The neutron star stays a neutron star and doesn't mix with its star, due to a highly active fusion layer around it.

Anyways, this is much cooler, I think.

5 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

The neutron star stays a neutron star and doesn't mix with its star, due to a highly active fusion layer around it.

Unstable and explosive things generally are.

8 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Not really, a white dwarf gets left behind after a star explodes, it's closer to the dead star's ashes, it's not really a separate object inside of it. (I'm fairly sure about that.)

it's the core 

10 hours ago, NFUN said:

There is not currently a white dwarf residing in the center of our sun.  Some time down the road, after our hot, young and energetic sun becomes old, fat and red - it will no longer be able to support itself and will begin to collapse.  The outer, fluffy stuff will get bounced and blown off into space and the heavy inner stuff will get compressed into an angry white dwarf grumbling at the neighbors 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

4 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

There are high albedo areas in Acidalia planitia on Mars that are theorized to be Mud Volcanoes!

(By the way: Should I remove the 1 fact per day limit and make this the "fun fact thread"? I think that would be a good idea.)

I think that if you were hoping for discipline from this bunch... Let's just say that was aspirational thinking. 

You could limit your own fun fact to once a day, or visit only once a day for several fun facts by various contributors... Lots of ways to skin that cat!

2 hours ago, DDE said:

:/

10267.jpeg

The statistics are in!

In other news: Apollo 12 commander Pete Conrad's first words when stepping on the moon were, "Oooh, that's soft." (The transmission is a litte hard to hear, so I may be a little off.)