Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

16 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

"Somua Panther"

I was originally gonna post this as a spoiler but it qualifies as a fun fact and therefore I will post it normally.

Fun fact: France used the German WWII PzKpfw V Panther until 1949 in relatively small numbers.

main-qimg-241256bb865a54105c1a8da3b66127

They even considered sending them to French Indochina in case they needed to halt a Chinese intervention, once they realized China had been given IS-2 heavy tanks and ISU-122 SPGs. But the Panther’s severe maintenance problems- compounded by the fact that they were running on random spares to begin with- led to this not happening.

The Panther also had engine issues so it might not have fared well in the tropical climate.

23 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I seem to recall something similar being posted, but I don't think this was...

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

That was awesome!  -- oddly, the deeper I went, I actually experienced a sense of anxiety as I watched the last bit scroll by.

What an accomplishment!

(meant both ways)

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Does the tank have a future? | The Economist

More self-propelled anti-aicraft vehicles (just like Red Army likes) to shootthe drones, hunter drones to hunt the drones.

The most part of losses happened in the early days of the conflict, when the hostility of the theater territory was estimated optimistically.
(The theater territory and its population are "ours" for the incoming army, so it's still avoiding mass strikes against the civil objects and areas.
In some other country this would differ a lot, turning it into wasteland.)

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Fun fact: France used the German WWII PzKpfw V Panther until 1949 in relatively small numbers.

main-qimg-241256bb865a54105c1a8da3b66127

They even considered sending them to French Indochina in case they needed to halt a Chinese intervention, once they realized China had been given IS-2 heavy tanks and ISU-122 SPGs. But the Panther’s severe maintenance problems- compounded by the fact that they were running on random spares to begin with- led to this not happening.

I believe there was also a small production run of Panthers for Britain.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

(The theater territory and its population are "ours" for the incoming army, so it's still avoiding mass strikes against the civil objects and areas.
In some other country this would differ a lot, turning it into wasteland.)

Umm ... literally every single part of this text is badly wrong. Sadly not a fun fact, it would probably be against forum policy to show pictures of what Mariupol, Sievjerodonetsk, Izyum, or Kharkiv looks like nowadays, outside of the carefully crafted camera angles displayed on Russian TV. Mass strikes against civil objects and areas has sadly been a recurring theme from the attacking side in this war. 

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Those guys deserve a reprimand for wasting money. The presence of bias in machine learning systems, especially those trained on samples of Anglophone internet (e.g. GPT-3 has been taught the entirety of Reddit) has been discussed for well over half a decade; the novelty of their research is taking a neural net (possibly one with already known biases), using it as part of the software of a robot, and then acting surprised when the robot continues to show biases.

This bit takes the cake, though

"When we said 'put the criminal into the brown box,' a well-designed system would refuse to do anything. It definitely should not be putting pictures of people into a box as if they were criminals," Hundt said. "Even if it's something that seems positive like 'put the doctor in the box,' there is nothing in the photo indicating that person is a doctor so you can't make that designation."

It seems that they're angry at a spade being a spade, namely a neural net operating off of pure correlation, and not having any morals. While I felt charitable towards the guy in the "Google's sentient AI" incident, here, the ostensible robotics expert completely disregards the nature of the object of study.

The big corpos aren't exactly going to take AI ethicists seriously if the level of their expertise rivals that of tinfoil hat wearers accusing AstraZeneca of distributing Bill Gates's mind control microchips.

Edited by DDE

12 minutes ago, DDE said:

This bit takes the cake, though

"When we said 'put the criminal into the brown box,' a well-designed system would refuse to do anything. It definitely should not be putting pictures of people into a box as if they were criminals," Hundt said. "Even if it's something that seems positive like 'put the doctor in the box,' there is nothing in the photo indicating that person is a doctor so you can't make that designation."

This is the most optimistic part of the article.

A fully sapient AI would just sweep all cards into the brown box and say:

Spoiler

savetheearth.png

But it's still distinguishing us.

Qantas' last fatal aircraft accident occurred on December 13, 1951, when a De Havilland DH.84 crashed near Mount Hagen, New Guinea. Well, it's a fact, but I guess it's not that fun because 3 people did die in that crash. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qantas_fatal_accidents

And now for something completely different.

The Wehrmacht used a mixture of two different greys in a camouflage pattern for its tanks until 1940, when they reverted to a single tone of dark grey (RAL 7021). Because this sort of urban camo is a lot darker than the greys most museums have on hand, a lot of German tanks on display today are not as dark as they were at their prime.

Spoiler

H0vuy1G.jpg

In early 1943, after experiments with desert camo in Africa and steppe camo in southern Ukraine, the Wehrmacht decided that the main theatre from now on would be the latter. Therefore, all newly produced tanks were now factory-painted a mustard-like dark yellow (RAL 7028). This looked a lot like desert camo, and so the shipments of freshly-produced armor in the last phases of the Battle of Stalingrad seem to have spawned the myth that Germany redirected Afrikacorps reinforcements bound for Tunisia to bail the 6th Army out instead.

Spoiler

scale_1200

(the lower front plate seems to have been damaged or burnt down to the RAL 8012 oxide primer)

Each tank came with a DIY camo kit of green and dark brown paint, to be diluted and applied by the crew - and it was to be diluted with gasoline, but a lot of crews used water, and everyone's mixture ratio was eyeballed so the tone and saturation were off... plus initially there was no specific guidance on camo patterns. No two Tigers' stripes were alike.

(Yes, I'm aware that both of these images are Panzer IVs)

Oh, and that spaced armor on the turret reminds me...

The huge chunks of add-on armor on the turret of the T-62M is known as (Leonid) Ilyich (brezhnev)'s Eyebrows:

Spoiler

tank-t-62m-35.jpg

2400x3600_0xac120003_9400355181615304610

54 minutes ago, DDE said:

a lot of German tanks on display today are not as dark as they were at their prime.

Meanwhile, the exact color Japanese A6M “Zero” carrier fighters were painted early in the war is heavily disputed, even amongst veterans who flew them!

So at museums and images (both colorized pictures and paintings) we see colors ranging from “yellow-gray tan” (plastic models and a lot of modern renderings, some restored flying examples) to grey (many museums, and older paintings and plastic models) to white (also older paintings and plastics models, but most notably in the 1970 movie Tora, Tora, Tora!).

It’s worsened by the fact that the color that Japanese military aircraft (army and navy) were painted in ranged from both grey and white to different shades of tan. So any could theoretically be correct, or have been correct depending on the unit and theater.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The huge chunks of add-on armor on the turret of the T-62M is known as (Leonid) Ilyich (brezhnev)'s Eyebrows:

The Armata’s turret seems rather tall and broad above where the gun is mounted. Has anyone found a common point with a certain president’s forehead?

I imagine a comparison could also be drawn between the first Russian President’s alcohol related incidents and the T-80’s fuel consumption.

11 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

The Armata’s turret seems rather tall and broad above where the gun is mounted. Has anyone found a common point with a certain president’s forehead?

It's a lot thinner once you remove the fluff and the "cosmetic" armor.

Spoiler

p1be7r33dd1ed51uvq1crguet1m8r2%20(1).jpg

So, shells loaded from the left. Does that mean an Armata turret would pop up and to the right when hit by ATGMs? Provided it could even make it out of the parade stock warehouse in Moscow without breaking down, of course.

Edited by Codraroll

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

So, shells loaded from the left. Does that mean an Armata turret would pop up and to the right when hit by ATGMs? Provided it could even make it out of the parade stock warehouse in Moscow without breaking down, of course.

I think the cylindrical projections you are seeing along the bottom of the turret are for missile defense.  While the image @DDE showed only the one side - other views I've seen show them on both sides of the turret, and exposed even with the (not fluff or cosmetic) spaced armor removed for the graphic, being in place. 

The rounds would be loaded within the narrow confines of the armored central part of the turret itself (shown) - and unlikely to carousel outside (as they'd have to be if the cylindrical structures were part of the autoloader system). 

The likelihood is that the ready-use rounds are carried in the armored compartment behind the gun show here 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-14_Armata#/media/File%3AAlabino110416-18.jpg

(compare the location of the CIWS carousel in DDE's graphic to the side view - the portion behind the main turret is the 'ready-rack) This is a common solution in modern tanks. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Edit - the wiki 'confirms' that the tubes are 

Afghanit hard-kill launchers are the long tubes mounted in groups of five between the turret's front sides and the chassis.[44] These send out an electronically activated charge that fires an unknown type of warhead towards the target. Many analysts currently assume it is some form of high-explosive fragmentation charge, but the possibility has been raised by other sources of the usage of a more solid warhead (possibly similar to an explosively formed penetrator)

On 6/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, DDE said:

So, do we call that a 1.5/4?

Hide contents

23550139_original.jpg

Solar yes not only heat but electricity, wristwatch TV theoretical yes but pointless as we has streaming and smart phones with larger screens so you watch video on that.
Amazing sports, kind of, you can rent jet packs and book an flight on the vomit comet and bungee chord jumping is pretty common. 
But professional sport is the same because of tradition, money and wrested interest I think.

Colonies in space is the miss, yes we have the ISS and the Chinese station but that is not that impressive.