Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Colonies in space is the miss, yes we have the ISS and the Chinese station but that is not that impressive.

The cover of that magazine doesn’t identify what colony.

How is the Advanced Plant Habitat on the ISS doing? Also how long must something exist to be considered a colony? Chang’e 4 has been hosting plants and insects for awhile, even if it will probably eventually fail.

Roanoke wasn’t a “base” just because everybody died.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

PAP (Chinese People's Armed Police Force) have a training site called "Ice World"

Forgot to attach the original video

Considering they are the unit at Tibet and based on my personal experience. The attitude where they were training in some clips must be around 4500m or more: no trees and taller vegetation. Strongly advice don't run like them when you firstly visit there within one month. Don't ask how I know that:wacko:

Sadly, it is a short way from propaganda to real war and all the suffering that comes with it.

Fun fact for distraction:

Add half a cm to the radius of a ball with the diameter of 2cm and its circumference grows by ~3.14cm. Do the same thing with earth and its circumference grows by ~3.14cm.

Edited by Pixophir

In large powerplant reservoirs, the flooded peat bogs, propelled by swamp gas, can turn into floating islands.

It gets more interesting in case of the Narva reservoir, which is split between Russia and Estonia, because hectares-sized mobile landmasses moving about right next to a state border tend to give politicians ideas.

11 hours ago, Pixophir said:

Fun fact for distraction:

Add half a cm to the radius of a ball with the diameter of 2cm and its circumference grows by ~3.14cm. Do the same thing with earth and its circumference grows by ~3.14cm.

PI works in all sorts of places!

Subs in Russian, but the video is self-explaining.

https://cs14.pikabu.ru/video/2022/07/13/1657726174218118050_576x1024.webm

Spoons and foil are expectable, but the last part is specific.

There is another "fire in microwave" video on youtube, but this one is with fire caught inside a glass in a magnetic field.

P.S.
DIY fusion, soon.

Edited by kerbiloid

14 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Also, razocharovyvayushim is a word?

Of course. "(looks) disappointing".

Also, spell it correctly, please.

"razocharovyvayushchim"

It's a palatalized "щ", not hard "ш".

Edited by kerbiloid

i have always been disappointed by my lack of chemistry knowledge.  most we ever got to do in high school is making co2. nilered has single handedly fixed that for me. 

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

i have always been disappointed by my lack of chemistry knowledge.  most we ever got to do in high school is making co2. nilered has single handedly fixed that for me. 

Oof. I once got close to a beaker full of sulphuric acid, Finland is another world it seems