Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

And this is how I discovered BeamNG.drive, although I now notice it was mentioned on this forum many, many times...

https://i.imgur.com/bXmQxKI.mp4

The suspension. What really caught my attention was the suspension height...

Laughing.  My son would enjoy that.

He caught me checking out Universe Sandbox for the first time... and all he wanted me to do was throw rocks at Earth and laser everything.

In Japan they presented a new concept of a lunar colony, named (Jap→Rus→Eng) "Glass".

Spoiler

It's a large glass bowl full of water,, with islands to live and boats to move.

It's rotating (1 round per 20 s), creating artificial gravity.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In Japan they presented a new concept of a lunar colony, named (Jap→Rus→Eng) "Glass".

Reveal hidden contents

It's a large glass bowl full of water,, with islands to live and boats to move.

It's rotating (1 round per 20 s), creating artificial gravity.

One is for the Moon and one is for Mars, each respectively named Luna Glass and Mars Glass. They want to land “something” related to the project on the Moon by 2050, perhaps a subscale demonstrator?

It has a height of 400 meters and a diameter of 100 meters. Lunar Beagle is the name of the monorail that runs around it (although Gizmodo claims it is called the Hexatrack), while the hexagonal Earth-Moon transport is called the Space Express. They want to avoid using nuclear power for it.

In the past, a Japanese construction company proposed building a space elevator by 2050, and many apparently got hyped until they realized it was just a concept for promotional purposes. It is different this time, they actually intend to do this although in kerbiloid’s video one of the guys states they recognize there are many problems to be solved. They think putting the idea out there is an important thing.

If watch with attention the scenes where the personnel is doing their job with concerned faces, it suddenly appears that they actually do absolutely nothing.

Spoiler

They touch the instrument hull near the buttons, but don't press the buttons, 
touch the dials but don't rotate anything but fingers,
switch a dial counterclockwise  (i.e. disable),
stick in a phone cable and immediately unstick it back,
touch the bomb hull with hands at the place where it's nothing.

Just once they run a tape recorder (probably, being fascinated).

Several propulsion options were considered for the Kh-101 air-launched cruise missiles.

Including, apparently, a coaxial pusher propeller powered by a turbodiesel.

Edited by DDE

https://sportrbc-ru.translate.goog/news/62d99bf49a79471d36e21c89?from=newsfeed&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru

A   chess robot   broke a seven-year-old boy's finger at a tournament in Moscow

Telegram channel Baza reported that the robot injured the child when he hurried and began to make his move without waiting for the completion of the robot's actions. The vice-president of the Moscow Chess Federation said that the child was put in plaster on the finger

<...>

“The boy is all right. They put a plaster cast on the finger to heal faster. Yes, there are certain safety rules, the child, apparently, violated them in time trouble and, when he made a move, did not notice that he had to wait. This is an extremely rare case, the first in my memory, ”<...>.

The chess robot had a aikido training mode, and saw no other way to teach him respect.

The most optimistic isotope in the Universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth-209

Bismuth-209 was long thought to have the heaviest stable nucleus of any element, but in 2003, a research team at the Institut d’Astrophysique Spatiale in Orsay, France, discovered that 209Bi undergoes alpha decay with a half-life of approximately 19 exayears (1.9×1019, approximately 19 quintillion years), over a billion times longer than the current estimated age of the universe.

https://nplus1-ru.translate.goog/news/2021/05/12/pb-neutron-skin?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru

The atomic nuclei aren't just balls (or packs of balls).

They have a mantle and a neutronic crust, almost like planets.

Spoiler

Won't be surprised when they discover continents and start studying a nuclear geography.

Then it will appear that our bodies are moved by myriads of miniature Orion ships, at the orders of the femtocivilisation High Council.

The Universe is an absolutely  weird place.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The Universe is an absolutely  weird place

Yup 

On 7/19/2022 at 10:10 AM, DDE said:

Kh-101 air-launched cruise missiles

I read the accuracy part and scoffed at the terrible Soviet missile. 

...before remembering that 'm' in Soviet is 'meters', not 'miles'. 

:sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Stanislaw Ulam, looking for a peaceful use for the bomb came up with the Orion drive. 

I would expect that most of the smart guys on this forum already know this... But did you know there is a nice biography of him currently available on Prime? 

59 minutes ago, DDE said:

every-country-wants-space-force.html

Not all.

Spoiler

P.S.
After the we-all-know-whose spy/recon/spotter-sats benefit during the current events it will be rather strange if everyone won't take part in the race of anti-sat tech and sat signal jamming

Was it worth it? I doubt. But the I believe, wrong choice is already done. The spy/recon/GPS sats have designated themselves as an existential danger for everyone but their owners.
So, the antisat world championship will begin.

Edited by kerbiloid