Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

30 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

As of when I made that post, it was December 31st, 1969 for me.

EDIT- Nope, still 12-31-69. Guess it is a time zone thing and you are probably correct.

And I get December 11, 2021.  Not sure if it is fixed, or simply my browser is more willing to interpret dates (see Excel for extreme cases).

On 9/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, kerbiloid said:

When your system is nervous.

Hide contents

7bb4498b4b6a2e0e983f8fc2a263c684.jpg

"This is who we are! This is what we for!" (c)

Everything other is just meat.

“They’re made out of meat.”

“Meat?”

“Meat. They’re made out of meat.”

( Terry Bisson, "They're made out of meat" )

Unlike the tea bags which is £3 you can get fifty bags. Tea leaves can brew more than once. Some expensive varieties can even be drunk whole day long. And in China we don't drink the first brew: it's for washing the leaves.

Of course, the thing about mirroring over is "mum, fun fact, tea bags only can brew once..."

Edited by steve9728

Mine-resistance ambush-protected vehicles are designed with the titular purposes in mind, complete with a V-shaped hull and as much distance between the wheels and the backsides of the passengers as possible. This makes them rather top-heavy and flip-prone.

Because of that, they get training wheels.

1*3nrHPJ-epgbl7WYzMG_L3w.png

Edited by DDE

25 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

warts respond to hypnotherapy

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/490867

...findings suggest that hypnosis has a general effect on host response to the causative virus.

I have first hand experience with this. I had warts from some time in elementary school into high school, and then I happened upon a Self Hypnosis book and used it for a lot of stuff including eradicating the warts that have now been gone for ... mumblety-mumble years now. A lot.

Also helped me quit smoking, but that's a different story.

53 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I have first hand experience with this. I had warts from some time in elementary school into high school, and then I happened upon a Self Hypnosis book and used it for a lot of stuff including eradicating the warts that have now been gone for ... mumblety-mumble years now. A lot.

Also helped me quit smoking, but that's a different story.

I had a deep plantar on my foot.  It took a while (months) with a scalpel, multiple freeze kits (where I ignored the instructions and went for broke) and copious amounts of salycilic acid...but eventually it went away. 

So praise the power of mind! 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Over here we just burned them off with liquid nitrogen.

Cryogenic burns suck! Still have scars on the bottom of the part between my big toe and foot.

2 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Over here we just burned them off with liquid nitrogen.

Cryogenic burns suck! Still have scars on the bottom of the part between my big toe and foot.

Same country as Joe and probably Superfluous but I did that (liquid nitrogen) too. Maybe it’s regional lol.

3 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

LIQUID NITROGEN!? Good lord...

To be clear, it was administered by a professional. And by a professional I do in fact mean someone paid (and presumably trained) to administer liquid nitrogen to warts.

As I recall it was actually kind of fun. It didn't really hurt because it was a wart and also it was so cold it just froze your nerve endings.

Edited by Superfluous J

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I guess you never had liquid nitrogen poured over the back of your hand? The Leidenfrost effect is your friend...

This, that is very bad is liquid nitrogen on clothing who absorb liquid. 
Worked quite a bit with it at university. Cone of cold was an pressurized air and LN2 mix who was used to cool vacuum pumps up to max, cool an room temperature coke to having ice in it in a couple of seconds :) 

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

To be clear, it was administered by a professional. And by a professional I do in fact mean someone paid (and presumably trained) to administer liquid nitrogen to warts.

As I recall it was actually kind of fun. It didn't really hurt because it was a wart and also it was so cold it just froze your nerve endings.

I went the professional route 3 times and it was totally ineffective.  2x with regular doc and 1x with a dermatologist.  IMO they don't leave the thing in contact long enough. 

Getting the OTC kit allows you to make a deep freeze /burn that you can excise and acid to your own level of pain tolerance. 

"War starts with a blade, to take away the top layer of skin that has formed over the wart. Then, Radusky sprays it with liquid nitrogen and sends the patient home with a Band-Aid covering the area. Once a blister forms, Radusky’s patients are to soak their foot for 10 minutes in warm water, put salicylic acid on the wart, and bandage it again—not the soft part, but the sticky part, so that in the morning they can rip off as much skin and gunk as possible.

Then, in three weeks—after yet more soaking, salicylic acid, and also some pumice-stone scrubbing—the patient comes back for another round of liquid nitrogen. And the process repeats"

https://slate.com/technology/2022/10/plantar-wart-removal-treatment-research-patch.html

(ugh... Forum doesn't like mobile!) 

Also - duct tape! 

Duct tape occlusion therapy was significantly more effective than cryotherapy for treatment of the common wart

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/203979