36 tone launch vehicle.

Does anyone know of any good designs that can lift a 36t payload to LKO with being able to also be easily maneuverable? I want a rocket capable on assembling a interplanetary ship in segments sorta like the ship from Avatar or the Martian. I don’t plan on rocket reusability for something like this,

36t to LKO is not hard, in principle. But it might become tricky when you realize that objects that heavy tend to have a certain bulk, while you're requesting something easily steerable. These two things don't generally come together, because aerodynamics.

What tech level and what DLCs do you have available to use? The 5m parts from Making History would be the obvious choice.

22 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

36t to LKO is not hard, in principle. But it might become tricky when you realize that objects that heavy tend to have a certain bulk, while you're requesting something easily steerable. These two things don't generally come together, because aerodynamics.

What tech level and what DLCs do you have available to use? The 5m parts from Making History would be the obvious choice.

I have the SLS & Making history tanks unlocked! Should I send up empty fuel tanks? I want to make a tandem interplanetary ship with the Rodan capsule mod at the end.

Okay, turns out the 5m parts are likely oversized for this. I slapped this thing together real quick, and it pushed a 40-ton dummy payload into LKO with 1600 m/s left in my test. And I only used Mastodons, not even Mainsails, and throttled all the engines to 90% already because it felt like it still had a bit too much thrust.

So you could probably assemble your spacecraft in orbit of the Mun or something :D (It has the antenna power for it too.)

Has tons of control authority, lots of battery power, no weird shapes, zero need for autostruts. Flies straight like and arrow, just mindlessly follow the staging order. Only thing is, I used the L-size probe core, and that's one of the final tier techs. Not sure if you have it. You can probably load the craft in a sandbox save and replace the core with something else if you want. It won't hurt the vehicle - you'll just lose some high-end SAS modes like follow maneuver. The avionics section is tucked away in the structural tube on the upper stage, directly below the fairing. Take off the fuel tanks below to access it. Just be careful when reattaching the tanks that they attach to the structural tube, not to the parts inside.

Edited by Streetwind

https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/Kronus-LowTech-20-Ton-SSTO

I’ve used this design a lot- it’s pretty easy to fly and with a few upgrades (more efficient rocket engines and a NERV to replace the central jet) it can easily carry 30 tons to orbit in a single flight, possibly more if you’re willing to use drop tanks. It’s also fully recoverable, glides pretty well on the way down and only requires level 2 buildings so is great for career games.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.