Robotics in the KSP2 main release or will it be a DLC?

Anth

I am sure KSP2 will be fun even if robotics aren't in the game to start with, but eventually the lack of robotics will limit my creativity.

Any official word on if robotics are going to be in the game for the main release?

8 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I am sure KSP2 will be fun even if robotics aren't in the game to start with, but eventually the lack of robotics will limit my creativity.

Any official word on if robotics are going to be in the game for the main release?

You probably have seen, but the thing I said in your other thread about Breaking Ground not being part of KSP2 is apparently outdated. So there is a chance robotic parts from KSP1 will be available.

This is actually somewhere I think that previously paid products should carry over to the new game. I don’t think that people who bought ksp 1 should get ksp 2 for free (or at any marked down price) but I DO think that if breaking ground is the exact same dlc just with a texture revamp people who bought it originally should get it for free.

3 minutes ago, Basesixty said:

This is actually somewhere I think that previously paid products should carry over to the new game. I don’t think that people who bought ksp 1 should get ksp 2 for free (or at any marked down price) but I DO think that if breaking ground is the exact same dlc just with a texture revamp people who bought it originally should get it for free.

Since the game is a different one there's no such thing as "the same thing with a texture revamp" especially for robotics and things like breaking ground experiments, that will most likely need a complete rewrite to work with completely different craft ad science systems.

10 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

You probably have seen, but the thing I said in your other thread about Breaking Ground not being part of KSP2 is apparently outdated.

Yeah I saw. That's why I asked the question here.

5 hours ago, Basesixty said:

Money is what will keep KSP2 going for a long time to come, why would T2 want to give us a whole lot of free stuff and maintain a high quality product. I don't want to see KSP2 have the same issues as KSP1. Also I want to see Intercept Games release top quality DLCs that keeps them in the game and T2 want to keep their employees for a long time to come.

14 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Money is what will keep KSP2 going for a long time to come, why would T2 want to give us a whole lot of free stuff and maintain a high quality product. I don't want to see KSP2 have the same issues as KSP1. Also I want to see Intercept Games release top quality DLCs that keeps them in the game and T2 want to keep their employees for a long time to come.

I think what you mean is not have KSP2 have its own core "unsolvable" issues in a similar manner to some that KSP1 has. Problems from KSP1 should be mostly fixed, it is KSP2 after all.

Speaking of the second part, in the event KSP2 "new parts/craft mechanics" is basically limited to more powerful propulsion, and Making History parts and Breaking Ground parts get added to stock KSP2, I wonder what options there could be for KSP2 DLCs. Including Breaking Ground parts in the stock game would not automatically prevent them from adding new DLCs.

I doubt KSP2 will have robotics at any point if they are using the same underlying physics system unless they changed direction and implemented a custom physics system, or the developer of the original physics system fixes their implementation.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, Master39 said:

Since the game is a different one there's no such thing as "the same thing with a texture revamp" especially for robotics and things like breaking ground experiments, that will most likely need a complete rewrite to work with completely different craft ad science systems.

You’re right, I didn’t put a huge amount of thought my post.

Though the robotic parts are really fun Im kind of okay with them not being available at release. Getting them to work properly is a huge task and Id be happier if that time was invested in nailing down colonies and other core systems. 

12 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Getting them to work properly is a huge task

Yes if you're setting them up through KAL. Or making a crazy contraption Kraken knows what for. If it's something as simple as a robotic arm with a bunch of hinges and pistons, it's no harder than applying any other part to action groups, or just doing it manually through PAW.

16 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Getting them to work properly is a huge task and Id be happier if that time was invested in nailing down colonies and other core systems. 

Honestly, not really? I don't want to make it sound completely trivial, but most of the work is done by the game's physics system. The inputs we are sending to the robotic parts are pretty much exactly what Unity's joints are designed to work with. And they are driven by animation curves that are basically built into the game as well and, at least in KSP case, are the same animation curves as are used for engine thrust/ISP scaling with pressure and speed. So it's almost as easy as making art for the parts and hooking up the necessary UI. Obviously, then there's some tuning, debugging, QA, just like there would be for any other feature. So it's not free. But it is definitely a low hanging fruit.

That said, yeah, there are definitely higher priorities, and I'm not going to cry over robotic parts not being in the base game at release either, but it would be a nice touch, and I do hope Intercepts finds time for them at some point. Havin them stock would be way better for compatibility than having these as mods.