Contract Pack - Research Advancement Division - v1.2.1

Morphisor

2 hours ago, Morphisor said:

I can't say any more as to the merits of your endeavor, as I'm not familiar with the code behind CC and planet packs myself. Perhaps @OhioBob may be able to provide the necessary insight here?

I can provide insight regarding JNSQ if necessary, but otherwise I don't know much.  What's CC?

9 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I can provide insight regarding JNSQ if necessary, but otherwise I don't know much.  What's CC?

CC is contract configurator, mod which allows contract packs such as this to be made. Case in this discussion is that it reads (tries to) biome information, including whether a biome is mostly land or water based.

We've found that at least in JNSQ, this is not being represented accurately. @DeadJohn may be on to a way to deal with this. I pinged you to see if you can tell us anything how this is dealt with on the planet pack side.

It's probably best to continue this in the CC thread: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/91625-1101-contract-configurator-v1305-2020-10-05/page/201/#comment-4070816

Edited by Morphisor

Thanks to @DeadJohn we've found a fix for the incorrect splashed/landed situations requested in contracts. As it turns out, Contract Configurator itself comes with a default config file for determining the water vs. land locations, but this file is inappropriately applied to all installs. So, in order to get properly functioning surface contracts, I recommend all users to navigate to the Contract Configurator main folder (located at Gamedata/ContractConfigurator) and delete the files named BiomeData.cfg and BiomeDataDefault.cfg. Once you load up the game of your choice the biomedata will be automatically regenerated, this time with the correct values.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this mod. Thanks very much for the release! I did have some experiments required to be performed "flying low" over the ice caps that seemed impossible to perform flying low, but maybe I just didn't have the right science parts (micrometeoroid impact, cosmic ray analysis, and visible light photography).

I do have a contract available that requires me to be "landed" in an ocean, rather than splashed down, but instead of seeing this as a problem, I am seeing this as a challenge to build a submarine and get it to the ocean floor in that biome. Maybe set up a mobile processing lab down there while I'm at it. Seems like there could be a hefty reward for that. Maybe there should be a patch that would increase the amount of science I get for experiments performed "landed" in a biome that is covered with water, because doing science on the ocean floor is awesome and hard. Not sure if that's possible, but maybe having science rewards for those contracts in this mod is another way to accomplish that. I would use Kerbin Side Remastered - Life Aquatic for underwater contracts, but I have a conflict between Kerbal Konstructs and GPP Secondary that is preventing that, so keeping the landed/splashed bug from this mod may be a way to incentivize myself to do some submarine building.

7 hours ago, Joontry said:

I've been enjoying this mod. Thanks very much for the release! I did have some experiments required to be performed "flying low" over the ice caps that seemed impossible to perform flying low, but maybe I just didn't have the right science parts (micrometeoroid impact, cosmic ray analysis, and visible light photography).

I do have a contract available that requires me to be "landed" in an ocean, rather than splashed down, but instead of seeing this as a problem, I am seeing this as a challenge to build a submarine and get it to the ocean floor in that biome. Maybe set up a mobile processing lab down there while I'm at it. Seems like there could be a hefty reward for that. Maybe there should be a patch that would increase the amount of science I get for experiments performed "landed" in a biome that is covered with water, because doing science on the ocean floor is awesome and hard. Not sure if that's possible, but maybe having science rewards for those contracts in this mod is another way to accomplish that. I would use Kerbin Side Remastered - Life Aquatic for underwater contracts, but I have a conflict between Kerbal Konstructs and GPP Secondary that is preventing that, so keeping the landed/splashed bug from this mod may be a way to incentivize myself to do some submarine building.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

If you get a request for an experiment in a certain situation, it means that the experiment "resource" definition includes that situation as being applicable, otherwise it won't be included in the list of options. You can verify this with the lists produced by [x] science for example. The experiments you mention are by BDB and Tantares I believe, they should have fitting parts for the job; mind that sometimes there's multiple parts for the same experiment, not all of them are obvious such as probe cores. Some parts may work better than others, this mod just reads out what's available.

The other part you're suggesting feels like basically what the Field Research rare science contract already does, it asks specifically for these harder situations. I'd recommend using that instead.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Any idea if this is compatible with Kerbalism?

Depends how you define "compatible". Collect science type requirements in contracts are always a bit tricky with Kerbalism.

It won't throw any errors and the contracts should usually be completable but given how long some Kerbalism experiments take...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an Issue with collecting science landed at the tundra. 
(Just a note that I did delete the files in contract config as recommended in the post before running this mission a second time) - all of this is after doing that.
The craft using is controlled by a probe with a scientist on-board to reset modules. - this is because every science collection is listed twice so I wanted to reset and collect twice. 
I've landed and collected all the science and had everything on the checklist show green except for the top 'Collect Science' header that everything else is under. 
I've tried a number of things to make it work. 
Collecting all science and collecting it in a module, then collecting it again and letting it sit in modules before recovering. 
doing the same and recovering the kerbal and craft separately. 
Transmitting all the data, then recovering the craft with two additional copies of the data inside. Then again separate from the kerbal. 
Collecting the kerbal, returning to the ksc, and then recovery the craft. 

I also reran the entire mission afterwards using only a pilot, no probe core, and collecting science only once. 
the in flight mission screen still displayed as below from start to finish. 

I appreciate that the failure cost is the same as the advance, but I was hoping for the money. lol. I do really enjoy these type of contracts. 

The screenshot of the mission in the mission control center here was taken after recovering the kerbal second. After recovering just the craft the experiment sections were showing complete while everything else was incomplete. 

Spoiler

uz5OZQC.pngWOLLa2b.png

For funsies/extra info I'm including my (rather short) list of installed mods

Spoiler

AOp4VnX.png

Edited by Sarah Lafayette

44 minutes ago, Sarah Lafayette said:

I'm having an Issue with collecting science landed at the tundra. 
(Just a note that I did delete the files in contract config as recommended in the post before running this mission a second time) - all of this is after doing that.
The craft using is controlled by a probe with a scientist on-board to reset modules. - this is because every science collection is listed twice so I wanted to reset and collect twice. 
I've landed and collected all the science and had everything on the checklist show green except for the top 'Collect Science' header that everything else is under. 
I've tried a number of things to make it work. 
Collecting all science and collecting it in a module, then collecting it again and letting it sit in modules before recovering. 
doing the same and recovering the kerbal and craft separately. 
Transmitting all the data, then recovering the craft with two additional copies of the data inside. Then again separate from the kerbal. 
Collecting the kerbal, returning to the ksc, and then recovery the craft. 

I also reran the entire mission afterwards using only a pilot, no probe core, and collecting science only once. 
the in flight mission screen still displayed as below from start to finish. 

I appreciate that the failure cost is the same as the advance, but I was hoping for the money. lol. I do really enjoy these type of contracts. 

The screenshot of the mission in the mission control center here was taken after recovering the kerbal second. After recovering just the craft the experiment sections were showing complete while everything else was incomplete. 

Reveal hidden contents

uz5OZQC.pngWOLLa2b.png

For funsies/extra info I'm including my (rather short) list of installed mods

Reveal hidden contents

AOp4VnX.png

It's seems odd to me you're getting this many double requests, though I'm aware it does happen occasionally. More importantly though, did you delete the biomedata file with this contract already active in your game? Because that would be my first guess as to what could cause this issue. To be sure, could you run another contract that was entirely newly generated after you deleted the biome data? If it happens again, there's something darker going on.

• 3 weeks later...

There is another biome-dependency problem with the local observation flight contracts, namely temperature scans and crew reports in the upper atmosphere being biome-independent :/

Other than that, I'm thoroughly enjoying these contracts, especially the "leftover data" ones, so thank you a lot for your work! :D

On 5/20/2022 at 7:09 PM, Phelan said:

There is another biome-dependency problem with the local observation flight contracts, namely temperature scans and crew reports in the upper atmosphere being biome-independent :/

Other than that, I'm thoroughly enjoying these contracts, especially the "leftover data" ones, so thank you a lot for your work! :D

I'm not sure there's anything to be done about that, if I'm understanding you correctly. The contract already filters experiments on the situation level (meaning checking what is available specifically for flying high, in this case). Do you have an example of a contract giving you trouble in this way? And what specifically about it is an issue?

On 5/22/2022 at 10:12 AM, Morphisor said:

I'm not sure there's anything to be done about that, if I'm understanding you correctly. The contract already filters experiments on the situation level (meaning checking what is available specifically for flying high, in this case). Do you have an example of a contract giving you trouble in this way? And what specifically about it is an issue?

I simply got one of the local observation contracts that asked me to take a set of experiments in the upper atmosphere above Kerbin highlands, including temperature scans and crew reports. But since they're not biome-dependent, the contract doesn't recognize them as having been done :/

The only other scienc-y mods I have are [X] Science! Continued, Crowd Sourced Science, and ForScience!. And yes, I did do the experiments manually, not with [X] Science, just to make sure that automation didn't mess it up.

7 hours ago, Phelan said:

I simply got one of the local observation contracts that asked me to take a set of experiments in the upper atmosphere above Kerbin highlands, including temperature scans and crew reports. But since they're not biome-dependent, the contract doesn't recognize them as having been done :/

The only other scienc-y mods I have are [X] Science! Continued, Crowd Sourced Science, and ForScience!. And yes, I did do the experiments manually, not with [X] Science, just to make sure that automation didn't mess it up.

The contract shouldn't be requesting a specific situation when it isn't available (at least that I know of), since biome (#1) and situation (#2) are the very first filters it uses to select experiments. Do you have a screenshot and/or save file with such a contract active or offered? 
Also, if you got X science in there, could you check in its database ingame, which situations it shows as being applicable for temperature scan and crew report (the experiments giving you issue, in any case). 

I'd like to try to rule out the experiment's own situationMask value here, i.e. what the game provides as available situations for any experiment.

5 hours ago, Morphisor said:

The contract shouldn't be requesting a specific situation when it isn't available (at least that I know of), since biome (#1) and situation (#2) are the very first filters it uses to select experiments. Do you have a screenshot and/or save file with such a contract active or offered? 
Also, if you got X science in there, could you check in its database ingame, which situations it shows as being applicable for temperature scan and crew report (the experiments giving you issue, in any case). 

I'd like to try to rule out the experiment's own situationMask value here, i.e. what the game provides as available situations for any experiment.

Dammit, no idea what's going on, but I can't insert the screenshots directly here, and even trying to post various valid links doesn't work. Truncated ones that don't get recognized as links work, I hope that's okay...

Active contract:

freeimage.host/i/XBr6q7

The two experiments in-flight with X Science open:

freeimage.host/i/XB4BXp

freeimage.host/i/XB4CLN

1 hour ago, Phelan said:

Dammit, no idea what's going on, but I can't insert the screenshots directly here, and even trying to post various valid links doesn't work. Truncated ones that don't get recognized as links work, I hope that's okay...

Active contract:

freeimage.host/i/XBr6q7

The two experiments in-flight with X Science open:

freeimage.host/i/XB4BXp

freeimage.host/i/XB4CLN

Thanks, looks as I'd expect it to. You can confirm as well that when running the experiment the checkbox doesn't get filled?

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with local observation flights. Specifically at Eve's Poles. Running temperature scans and even EVAs above the poles at high alt (but still below 90KM at Eve) does not work. I've tried all altitudes and even sent probes down to the surface. Screenshot attached1J1SaAw.jpg

15 hours ago, CowboyChicken said:

I am having the same problem with local observation flights. Specifically at Eve's Poles. Running temperature scans and even EVAs above the poles at high alt (but still below 90KM at Eve) does not work. I've tried all altitudes and even sent probes down to the surface. Screenshot attached1J1SaAw.jpg

I might have an idea for a fix at this point; can you and/or @Phelan (or anyone else for that matter) say if the same issue occurs with the atmospheric investigation contract? That is intended for the same situations after all - but reasons I cannot recall has a slightly different selection setup.

17 hours ago, Morphisor said:

I might have an idea for a fix at this point; can you and/or @Phelan (or anyone else for that matter) say if the same issue occurs with the atmospheric investigation contract? That is intended for the same situations after all - but reasons I cannot recall has a slightly different selection setup.

The atmosphere one looks to be sorted by individual objective so it's not an issue. It seems to me (disclaimer: not a programmer) that the overall hierarchy of the objectives for "Local Observation Flight" has them all fall under the same biome as compared to some other contracts (atmosphere testing) that lists every individual objective separately. Pics of both for comparison.
P2K7nLa.jpg?2

Nh8WaeC.jpg?1

4 hours ago, CowboyChicken said:

The atmosphere one looks to be sorted by individual objective so it's not an issue. It seems to me (disclaimer: not a programmer) that the overall hierarchy of the objectives for "Local Observation Flight" has them all fall under the same biome as compared to some other contracts (atmosphere testing) that lists every individual objective separately. Pics of both for comparison.
P2K7nLa.jpg?2

Nh8WaeC.jpg?1

Yes that is intended behaviour. The contract for multiple biomes iterates on the selected experiments to improve variation in situations requested. I'm just wondering if experiments like temperature scan show up in impossible situations in that contract, too. Because my suspicion is they don't.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, Morphisor said:

I just went through some 40-50 of the atmospheric investigation contracts, no illegal combinations showing up, nope.

If I can help any further to narrow it down, let me know (I do have some programming and debugging experience, so I know how frustrating it can be sometimes... and how even finding some of the bugs can be both relieving as well as frustrating again... So thank you :))

Edited by Phelan

To be fair I also get the same issue on the Field Research Mod as well where it tells me to do non-biome specific science while landed (surface feature scans). I'm unsure if there's anything that can be done about biome-specific contracts beyond prohibiting certain experiments from getting selected?

23 hours ago, Phelan said:

I just went through some 40-50 of the atmospheric investigation contracts, no illegal combinations showing up, nope.

If I can help any further to narrow it down, let me know (I do have some programming and debugging experience, so I know how frustrating it can be sometimes... and how even finding some of the bugs can be both relieving as well as frustrating again... So thank you :))

Thanks for checking, that helps build confidence in my intended fix!

6 hours ago, CowboyChicken said:

To be fair I also get the same issue on the Field Research Mod as well where it tells me to do non-biome specific science while landed (surface feature scans). I'm unsure if there's anything that can be done about biome-specific contracts beyond prohibiting certain experiments from getting selected?

It's a matter of which filter expressions to include and in which order, to try to avoid incompatible situations. It's quite finnicky but I think it can be done.

5 hours ago, CowboyChicken said:

Perhaps having each mini-objective provide a very small percentage of funds would bypass the logic?

That wouldn't work I'm afraid, different part of the logic.

In any case, I've uploaded what I hope to be a fixed version of the contract on the GitHub master branch. https://github.com/Morphisor244/Research-Advancement-Division
In my own test build I couldn't get a problematic experiment request to come up, but I'd appreciate some further testing by other users before I officially push this as an update. I promise to make it official before the end of the week if there's no issues reported.

Edited by Morphisor

On 6/6/2022 at 5:57 AM, Morphisor said:

Thanks for checking, that helps build confidence in my intended fix!

It's a matter of which filter expressions to include and in which order, to try to avoid incompatible situations. It's quite finnicky but I think it can be done.

That wouldn't work I'm afraid, different part of the logic.

In any case, I've uploaded what I hope to be a fixed version of the contract on the GitHub master branch. https://github.com/Morphisor244/Research-Advancement-Division
In my own test build I couldn't get a problematic experiment request to come up, but I'd appreciate some further testing by other users before I officially push this as an update. I promise to make it official before the end of the week if there's no issues reported.

Awesome! Appreciate all the effort you've put into this, it's a great mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.