KSRSS Adventures: A thread for all my KSP shenanigans!

Jacktical

KSRSS Adventures

At the moment I've been feeling very unmotivated and every time I go to make a mission for my thread Space Station Liberty , I just procrastinate. This thread is a place for me to post any missions that are going on in my saves to try and gain some motivation again!

tz5ggy4.png

This won't be weekly posts or anything, I'll just post whenever I feel inspired lol 

Hopefully this can kickstart Liberty and some other projects I'm thinking of ;) Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Jacktical said:

9GqkXQy.png

Man these shots are awesome!

While I am not exactly a proponent of SLS… you gotta admit it is a really nice looking rocket.

Here’s an interesting fact about SLS, particularly Block 1. In order to take advantage of the huge amount of energy in the core stage, they have selected a pretty unique launch trajectory for it. Most terminal stages are designed to burn out just before or right after orbital insertion, but the SLS has a good bit of fuel left so it keeps burning and injects Orion + ICPS into a moderately eccentric orbit, with an apogee of something like 1700km, and a perigee that dips into the atmosphere.

ICPS then coasts up to apogee and makes a small burn to raise perigee, then upon reaching PE burns for the moon. Without the additional energy provided by the core stage, ICPS wouldn’t be able to push Orion to TLI, and even then I believe a small extra kick is needed by the Orion service module.

Kratos

The Successor to Ariane IV

ETjaM8O.png

Kratos ahead of her maiden flight

Kratos is the newest launch vehicle developed and operated by Arianespace for the European Space Agency (ESA). Kratos will begin operations in 1991, and replace the Ariane IV. The Kratos-S (Standard) variant can carry up to 65t to LEO. For more demanding missions to further out destinations, such as a probe, the variant Kratos-E (Expanded) is available. The Kratos-E  features a 3rd stage called "Loki" provided by the UK Space Agency. 

The system was designed as an expendable heavy-lift space launch vehicle. Standing 72m tall and 5.4m wide, it is comparable to the falcon heavy of today (maybe? I'm not sure lol). The system is powered by methane and oxygen.

Now for the stats:

First Stage: 10 Van Gogh Engines with a combined thrust of 5533kN and a burn time of 141s.

Second Stage: 3 Vacuum optimised Van Gogh engines which are not able to gimbal. 3 Monet Vernier engines for TVC.

Third Stage (Loki): 1 Raphael engine without gimbal ability. RCS used for orientation.

This new launch vehicle features a more modern look than the previous Ariane rockets. Sleek white with the classic blue ESA colour for accents.

4t5VeJI.png

laeEQKs.png

This new launch vehicle is soon to hit the market and the launch pad too. And for the first time, you the readers will have a say in its future career...

You can book a flight to launch your own mission on Kratos. As long as the mission is possible and plausible, I will launch it for free and make its own post either on this forum or one specifically for this rocket. This idea allows me to share the magic of good looking rockets and ksp images to people who maybe cannot do it themselves. It also gives me something to launch, I'm tired of ore tanks lol :) 

So send me your missions, I can't wait to make them

Book here

EDIT: By the way, I go to school so getting the missions out could be a couple of days, or a couple of weeks, just depends how busy i am.

Edited by Jacktical

On 12/31/2021 at 1:22 AM, Jacktical said:

Kratos

The Successor to Ariane IV

Yooooooo... that thing looks sick! Not sure how you did it/what mod that is from, but the design is really great. And seems very capable. In fact, I might have a payload I'd like to see launched aboard the Kratos, if that is okay...!

I've got something for a little side project I'll be starting soon - currently taking place in the 1990s, fictional of course, and due to various reasons I don't have an ideal launcher for it - but the Kratos-E would be perfect... It is an 8.3 ton payload that needs to go to MARS!

Questions: 
   -when you say 5.4m in diameter, is this converted to human size? Or is that the actual size it is in KSP? (In other words, it is actually about the same size as the BDB Delta IV, with 3.5m fairing correct?)
   -are those strap-on boosters, or are they integral to the first stage? 

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Yooooooo... that thing looks sick! Not sure how you did it/what mod that is from, but the design is really great. And seems very capable. In fact, I might have a payload I'd like to see launched aboard the Kratos, if that is okay...!

I've got something for a little side project I'll be starting soon - currently taking place in the 1990s, fictional of course, and due to various reasons I don't have an ideal launcher for it - but the Kratos-E would be perfect... It is an 8.3 ton payload that needs to go to MARS!

Questions: 
   -when you say 5.4m in diameter, is this converted to human size? Or is that the actual size it is in KSP? (In other words, it is actually about the same size as the BDB Delta IV, with 3.5m fairing correct?)
   -

Thanks! I made it with procedural parts/fairings and conformal texts for the details. I'd be delighted to launch a mission for you :) 

when you say 5.4m in diameter, is this converted to human size? Or is that the actual size it is in KSP? (In other words, it is actually about the same size as the BDB Delta IV, with 3.5m fairing correct?)

It is converted to human scale, its 3.75m in game and the same diameter as Ariane 5 in real life, fairing expands just a tiny bit so i can fit 3.75m payloads in there.

are those strap-on boosters, or are they integral to the first stage? 

They're integral like the proton, which I took a lot of inspiration from.

Edited by Jacktical

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.