Tell your ideas for a planet.

awsumguy76801

I'm not a mod creator but I would like to hear other peoples concepts for planets that could exist, don't talk about some crazy flat earth fantasy stuff please something in the bounds of reality. Thanks. And remember this is just speculation and hypothetical stuff so you can still be creative

picture is from space engine

zz3cbw5k0m681.png

Edited by awsumguy76801

A while back, I read about an interesting concept on xkcd's What If?

https://what-if.xkcd.com/153/

Essentially, someone asked if it would be possible to put all of Earth's atmosphere inside a hole. A world with a displaced atmosphere sounded really cool to explore, so I wondered if it would work in KSP.

Because atmospheres in KSP are global, a bit of terrain magic would be necessary to execute this idea. The planet or moon would need a thin atmosphere and an extremely deformed height map. That way, the air would only be located within deep craters or pockets. In-game, players would have to aim for the air pockets to ensure a safe landing. Or, they could go for the challenge of landing on the vacuum highlands. 

Lore-wise, there are several ways to explain the presence of the displaced atmosphere. If the planet or moon is too small to hold a significant atmosphere, the air could be supplied by volcanic activity or steady outgassing. Otherwise, the insane terrain would be enough of an explanation. 

5 hours ago, wpetula said:

A while back, I read about an interesting concept on xkcd's What If?

https://what-if.xkcd.com/153/

Essentially, someone asked if it would be possible to put all of Earth's atmosphere inside a hole. A world with a displaced atmosphere sounded really cool to explore, so I wondered if it would work in KSP.

Because atmospheres in KSP are global, a bit of terrain magic would be necessary to execute this idea. The planet or moon would need a thin atmosphere and an extremely deformed height map. That way, the air would only be located within deep craters or pockets. In-game, players would have to aim for the air pockets to ensure a safe landing. Or, they could go for the challenge of landing on the vacuum highlands. 

Lore-wise, there are several ways to explain the presence of the displaced atmosphere. If the planet or moon is too small to hold a significant atmosphere, the air could be supplied by volcanic activity or steady outgassing. Otherwise, the insane terrain would be enough of an explanation. 

that gave me a thought, what if there were caves that went really deep and the pressure was high enough for life? I also heard the idea there could be planets with mountains so tall they go through the atmosphere and the peak reaches space.

Edited by awsumguy76801

• 3 months later...

I won't just tell, but show as well:

Mars, but with Oceans, a larger relative size to kerbin than to Earth, O2 in the atmosphere, and some evidence of life:

8onfRCA.png

0G0MolV.png

R3eC2Rx.png

fl9TO4Y.png

5JDD9sa.png

QD7heeJ.png

IKT0bD9.png

1gpMEVo.png

JF0HYts.png

Olympus mons:

g6G267C.png

bnd9UNX.png

Olympus mons in the distance:

xwdxTPi.png

6suGWpS.png

I made it a double planet with Duna:

rWzuGb8.png

https://imgur.com/8wqyBkD

IiizR8m.png

P1I1zeq.png

Ur634jx.png

fQkx0cn.png

(that one has a terrain "decal" that I haven't been able to remove when using Kerbin as the template, to get the better terrain shaders).

Its gone through many iterations, played at different scales (1x, 3x, 4x, 6.25x), with different visual mods and atmosphere colors, in addition to surface G, atmosphere thickness, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.