To the Mün without orbit

Untitled.png

Idea

I thought of this myself, didn't even attempt to see if its possible. I was just scrolling through Tik Tok and then... IDEA! 

Rules:

Don't orbit Kerbin or the Mün. 

That means you should takeoff and set a direct course to the Mün. Then you should directly land on the Mün and directly takeoff, set a direct SUB-ORBITAL course to Kerbin and land succesfully.

And yes, if you get a parachute failure, you can use the personal parachutes.

Quicksaves and mid-course corrections are allowed.

It will be more fun if you use the DANG IT mod!

Mods might as well be allowed, but its recommended on stock.

DO NOT USE MECHJEB.

Post pictures of the flight, that show the trajectories. Don't forget to show pics of the thing of a rocket you used!  It is recommended to use videos, if you have a YT channel.

Im not sure if somebody did that already, but wahtever. Good luck!

Note: A Kerbin orbit is a trajectory with a periapsis of at least 70km. So if your course is with a periapsis of 20km, its still sub-orbital.

Bonus:

Congrats if you can send a rover too or make it to Minmus! 

Congrats if you can not set a course and burn STRAIGHT at the Mun! That takes a lot of fuel, but you can sure try that!

Leaderboard:

@Sky Kerman

@QF9E

@Jack Joseph Kerman

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

I’m pretty sure this challenge is exactly what I did the first time I went to the Mun. I didn’t bother to orbit either Kerbin or the Mun, I just went straight there without a care in the world. Of course, having only bought the game a few days ago at that point, I crashed into the Mun because I was too time warp- happy.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I did this challenge a while back in VR, without time warp. It was pretty neat! 

I don't know if my upload checks all the boxes for your particular challenge though. I flew in a straight line to the mun.. but... I think I got into orbit right before I landed though... darn it.   Maybe give your challenge real  try. :)

here's my videon for whoever is interested  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I landed on the Mun and then back on Kerbin in 3 hrs 26 minutes.

I launched when the Munwas exactly overhead, which hits an approach course.  I found a vector between radial and prograde which was close to directly at target, and burned half my fuel while aimed directly at the Mun.  

Crashed and quickloaded a few times, I landed on the Mun at 1 hr 46 minutes.  I was landed near the part of the Mun closest to Kerbin, so I launched straight up and then was able to burn the rest of my fuel on a vector aimed at Kerbin.  I set my hyperbolic periapsis to 10000m, the ablative heat shield did its job. and brought me to a safe parachute landing.

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, farmerben said:

I landed on the Mun and then back on Kerbin in 3 hrs 26 minutes.

I launched when the Munwas exactly overhead, which hits an approach course.  I found a vector between radial and prograde which was close to directly at target, and burned half my fuel while aimed directly at the Mun.  

Crashed and quickloaded a few times, I landed on the Mun at 1 hr 46 minutes.  I was landed near the part of the Mun closest to Kerbin, so I launched straight up and then was able to burn the rest of my fuel on a vector aimed at Kerbin.  I set my hyperbolic periapsis to 10000m, the ablative heat shield did its job. and brought me to a safe parachute landing.

I didnt know people still commented on this thread, you may now receive your badge!

On 10/30/2022 at 1:34 AM, xendelaar said:

I did this challenge a while back in VR, without time warp. It was pretty neat! 

I don't know if my upload checks all the boxes for your particular challenge though. I flew in a straight line to the mun.. but... I think I got into orbit right before I landed though... darn it.   Maybe give your challenge real  try. :)

here's my videon for whoever is interested  :)

Goes to you as well!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.