They are going to delay in one more year or two aren't they?

John1211

I saw that the release date suppose to be somewhere in 2022. Although all of the footage from the game is "pre-alpha" footages which means it's not even in its alpha stage. as a developer, I can't see how the heck are they going to release a final product in less than a year if it's not even on its beta stage.

A year or two? You're optimistic, it has been a whole 17 hours since last Nate visit to the forum, that means at least another 15 years of development.

Seriously though, can't we make a "made up delays" pinned thread and lock all the paranoia there?

Edited by Master39

1 hour ago, John1211 said:

I saw that the release date suppose to be somewhere in 2022. Although all of the footage from the game is "pre-alpha" footages which means it's not even in its alpha stage. as a developer, I can't see how the heck are they going to release a final product in less than a year if it's not even on its beta stage.

What they show (and how they label it), and where the game is at, can be two very different things.

Depends what the current bottlenecks or milestones missing are. The pre-alpha I anyway treated as either a proof of concept or something from an earlier build, test scenes and the like. I would assume that internally they are in alpha already, just not sharing anything from the current builds. Of course I would also sleep better at night if I saw a "alpha build" watermark slapped on some new footage eventually.

9 hours ago, Master39 said:

A year or two? You're optimistic, it has been a whole 17 hours since last Nate visit to the forum, that means at least another 15 years of development.

Seriously though, can't we make a "made up delays" pinned thread and lock all the paranoia there?

I second this, there are multiple threads that predict delays and fall to the trap of cherry picking evidence to fit a conclusion which ultimately demoralizes everyone and takes away from positive discussion. Cynicism like this will not get you anywhere folks, you will end up feeling bad for a long time just to be able to say “I told you so” when bad things happen. Don’t hope for the best and expect the worst, just hope for the best and expect nothing, which can be defined as the information the developers are giving us. 

I think that right now, I'd prefer them to release a single player, Kerbol system only, version of KSP2 this year, and then add on the extra stuff after, rather than delay the game any more.  I know that's probably not a popular view, and maybe isn't even possible. I'm just really impatient :(

On 12/24/2021 at 8:17 AM, John1211 said:

I'm not one to be overly optimistic when it comes to software release dates so when the initial date was pushed back to 2022 it didn't really shock me.

I also think that the dev team is pretty open and transparent and would tell us about any delays pretty upfront; they haven't yet. But I also think that "2022" doesn't mean "January 1st" and that any release after January 1 means it's delayed.

5 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

I think that right now, I'd prefer them to release a single player, Kerbol system only, version of KSP2 this year, and then add on the extra stuff after, rather than delay the game any more.  I know that's probably not a popular view, and maybe isn't even possible. I'm just really impatient :(

This is an excellent point. I would pay 60 dollars for this in a heartbeat! 

11 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

I wouldn't pay a single cent for that, Jesus people there's literally thousands of other games you can play in the period while you're waiting for ksp2.

Hell you can even take up a new hobby, I rather enjoy lifting weights nowadays and I started over a year ago.

The entire reason KSP 2 exists is that there's so many things you just can't patch in after the fact. Asking them to repeat the same mistakes just because you're impatient is absurdity of the highest order.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

So, as far as I can see, @WelshSteW is not actually trying to put their opinion forwards as correct, and is not making a claim that contradicts other peoples’ claims. Now, I don’t agree with them, but I think that here, because they are not attempting to win an argument, it does not matter whether they are correct or not, and therefore their entitlement to their opinion, which could be true or false, is still valid although “irrelevant to whether one's assertion is true or false.” It’s ok to agree to disagree in this situation, since this has no impact on any outcome, and on the whole does not impact the community, unlike speculations of delays which attempt to validate a claim which can be proven false with evidence. 

This is from an interview with Nate Simpson from June

https://www.shacknews.com/article/125298/kerbal-space-program-2s-creative-director-discusses-carrying-on-ksps-legacy

Look to 50 seconds in with the video that comes with this article:

"...and obviously we are in the final stretch..."

"...we're releasing next year..."

A lot of it shows video from previous KSP1 updates, but the interview is for KSP2

Edited by Anth12

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'cautious  pessimism' to keep excitement and expectations in check, as being overly optimistic usually leads to disappointment anyway...  But why all the overt negativity?  

From what I can see everything still seems to be indicating a 2022 release as per the current 'official' stance (personally I expect summer or later).  When @Nate Simpson announced the delay to 2022 he was dirrct, open and upfront about it, so I have no reason to think he wouldn't do the same again, so for me 'no news is good news'.