The Skyhawk Science System - a new, realistic tech tree for KSP, now including Kerbalism support - [v1.1.1 - "For Science!" 8/11/22)]

CessnaSkyhawk

35 minutes ago, Friznit said:

[x]Science has a feature to 'show experiments available on this vessel'.  It's very useful for figuring out which parts do what experiment (and finding out that you have 15 redundant magnetometers).

I had the impression x Science was in flight only, does it have a feature for the VAB? Still, thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it

So, I just updated Skyhawk and removed Community Tech Tree after reading I shouldn't have both installed (duh, I'm an idiot), but now I get the following errors -

KkE6Zsp.jpg

I'm running RSS & Kerbalism (with the Skyhawk Kerbalism Config) and BDB.  Not really any other mods.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Probird_23 said:

The first warning isn't too serious, as it is just missing a texture switch, but the bottom warning might be related to Skyhawk Kerbalism, you might want to ask @CessnaSkyhawk about this

Yeah, I figured the first isn't, but that's why I posted the pic in both the BDB and this thread.  BDB to see if there was any help on the top, but here because of the reference to "SSS" in the tank type missing.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, CAPFlyer said:

Yeah, I figured the first isn't, but that's why I posted the pic in both the BDB and this thread.  BDB to see if there was any help on the top, but here because of the reference to "SSS" in the tank type missing.

Okay, I think I may have figured it out, and it's my fault - I apparently deleted KerbalismSkyhawk somehow when deleting and re-installing Kerbalism or Skyhawk Science.  That would explain the odd new error. :)

As far as I can tell this tech tree does not support USI (specifically MKS) - are there plans to add the patches needed to support this mod (in terms of parts placement) - seems the tech tree has good nodes for MKS support and even has colony nodes. Currently it does not look like the MKS mod has its parts placed in the tech tree.

Thanks, and what a great tech tree, its been very fun to play through.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, epicpupster239 said:

Im trying to run the geostationary weather operations, but for some reason (despite being in geostationary kerbin orbit) the game is saying i'm in low kerbin orbit?

Have 0* inclination and get as close to the right altitude as possible. Geosynchronous and geostationary are different

5 hours ago, Socowez said:

Have 0* inclination and get as close to the right altitude as possible. Geosynchronous and geostationary are different

They aren't different? The terms are used interchangeably. If not, please elaborate on what their differences are.

This also doesn't address that the game is saying I'm in space low despite being significantly above 250 km. This doesn't affect other satellites. Also, in the requirements, it just states it needs to be in high orbit, not geosynchronous.

1 hour ago, epicpupster239 said:

They aren't different? The terms are used interchangeably. If not, please elaborate on what their differences are.

This also doesn't address that the game is saying I'm in space low despite being significantly above 250 km. This doesn't affect other satellites. Also, in the requirements, it just states it needs to be in high orbit, not geosynchronous.

From my understanding, Geosynchronous means your orbital period is the same as the planet's rotation. Geostationary is a geosynchronous orbit with 0* inclination relative to the equator, so you are completely unmoving in the sky.

As with the status issue, if it doesn't happen to other satellites, you could try saving and reloading, raising your orbit, or launching another satellite. These are only guess solutions, I've never had this problem before.

I am unable to get Procedural Parts or Fairings below 1m for some reason in Career Mode.  I've checked the start node to make sure everything was set right, and it says that the upgrades for minimum size are present and "bought", but when I get into the VAB and try to shrink the nodes, it won't go below 1m.  Any ideas?

I want to play with RealFuels for a 10x system. Can someone confirm that these are the folders I need to remove to keep the SSS Kerosene, Hypergolics, etc and the tank switching from patching, so that RealFuels can take over?

Inside SkyhawkScienceSystem/Patches:

• Hypergolics
  • Resources
  • TankSwitch

If not, I'll switch these back on and swap RealFuels with SMURFF.

Okay, another question - why are the Atlas engines on a different node tier from the rest of Atlas?  I could understand having the Sustainer separate, but I'm working through History of Spaceflight and Atlas A flies in 1957, before even Vanguard, so I'm now struggling to get science points to get the node.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @CessnaSkyhawkfor this amazing looking and well thought out pack - including the Kerbalism support. I recently spent a little while setting up KSRSS Reborn (2.7x scale) for BDB (which is too easy at stock scale for me), and remembered I had not really given your pack a good try out. I came back and was pleasantly surprised that you'd done all the Kerbalism support too (that wasn't around when I last read through).

About to embark on using it with KSRSS Reborn, BDB, Kerbalism, KCT, Near/Far Future, Benjee's stuff, plus most of the mods you support as well as History of Spaceflight (Pocket Edition), which looks like a neat way to remind me on what order to build things. Very exciting!

I may end up sending some GitHub PRs, from the looks of things it's fairly easy to add part style mods (I previously spent several days trying to balance BDB in UKS, oof, appreciate your efforts all the more). 

Edited by 610yesnolovely

That definitely fixed that issue.  However, I'm still at a loss on several items on this.  Kerbalism talks about being able to do all these features with "scheduling" experiments and transmitting them, but I've not seen any of these options (on tier 0 stuff, but I've unlocked most of Tier 1 and Tier 2 for probes) and I'm still "no storage space" errors when trying to run the experiments in the nose cones of the Aerobee series of rockets from US Rockets despite having a HDD now on the command module part.  Also, I'm not able to transmit the experiments either during or after the experiment is complete.

Edited by CAPFlyer

3 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

That definitely fixed that issue.  However, I'm still at a loss on several items on this.  Kerbalism talks about being able to do all these features with "scheduling" experiments and transmitting them, but I've not seen any of these options (on tier 0 stuff, but I've unlocked most of Tier 1 and Tier 2 for probes) and I'm still "no storage space" errors when trying to run the experiments in the nose cones of the Aerobee series of rockets from US Rockets despite having a HDD now on the command module part.  Also, I'm not able to transmit the experiments either during or after the experiment is complete.

I had similar issues with CNAR, possibly those CapellaExperimentX [1-3] need vesselType = Probe (and CrewCapacity = 0) for other parts of SkyhawkKerbalism to do the right thing, but that's because they are also ModuleCommand. Also I spotted that if the HardDrive module has an assigned experiment_id, that can cause issues. Check the ModuleManager.ConfigCache to see what the results of all patches are.

@PART[CapellaExperiment1]:NEEDS[SkyhawkKerbalism]:AFTER[CNAR]
{
	%vesselType = Probe
	%CrewCapacity = 0

%MODULE[HardDrive]
	{
		%title = Sounding Rocket Storage
		%dataCapacity = 0.25	// data size in Mb
		%sampleCapacity = 0	// sample size in slots
		%RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
		{
			%rate = 0.020
		}
	}
}

Try setting the Vessel to "Probe" in Rename Vessel in the PAW, that temp fixed it?

Edited by 610yesnolovely

If anyone is using SkyhawkScienceSystem and the new BDB 1.11, then they may get some ModuleManager and/or B9PartSwitch warnings/errors. The following MM magic seems to fix them, just put this in a SSS-BDB-Fixes.cfg in your personal patches folder (you have one of those right?), inside GameData. No guarantee I've got this right, may delete entire universe, etc. etc.

Spoiler
// -*- conf-javaprop -*-
// Fixes for BDB with SkyhawkScienceSystem

@PART[bluedog_Strawman_Bus,bluedog_Transit5_GravityGradientBoom,bluedog_Transit5_GravityGradientBoom_Light,bluedog_Strawman_Bus_SAF]:NEEDS[SkyhawkScienceSystem]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleSAS] {} // Remove original SAS Module
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSAS
		SASServiceLevel = 0
		moduleIsEnabled = false

showUpgradesInModuleInfo = false
		UPGRADES
		{
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = sss_SAS1
				techRequired__ = control3
				SASServiceLevel = 0
				moduleIsEnabled = true
			}
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = sss_SAS2
				techRequired__ = control5							
				SASServiceLevel = 2
				moduleIsEnabled = true
			}
			UPGRADE
			{
				name__ = sss-SAS3
				techRequired__ = control7							
				SASServiceLevel = 3
				moduleIsEnabled = true
			}
		}

}
}

@PART[bluedog_Apollo_CrewPod,bluedog_Apollo_CrewPod_5crew]:NEEDS[SkyhawkScienceSystem]:AFTER[Bluedog_DB]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[Probecore]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Uncrewed]
		{
			@upgradeRequired = sss_SAS1
		}
	}
}

@PART[bluedog_skylab_powerModule_radiator,bluedog_skylab_powerModule_radiator_fixed]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,SystemHeat,zKerbalismSystemHeat]:AFTER[zzzzzz_KerbalismSystemHeat]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[meshSwitchSide]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE[Double]
		{
			@MODULE
			{
				@IDENTIFIER
				{
					@name = SystemHeatRadiatorKerbalism
				}
				@DATA
				{
					// Taken from zKerbalismSystemHeat/Patches/SystemHeatRadiators.cfg
					%KSH_HeatEmission = #$maxEnergyTransfer$
					@KSH_HeatEmission /= 200
					%convectiveArea = #$maxEnergyTransfer$
					@convectiveArea /= 450
					!temperatureCurve {}
					%temperatureCurve
					{
						key = 0 0
						key = #400 $../KSH_HeatEmission$ 0 0
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

You may also want the MM patch to fix a possible BDB 1.11 issue mentioned in 

Edited by 610yesnolovely
Missing 5crew, added SkyhawkKerbalism / SystemHeat support for Skylab B9PartSwitch radiators.

15 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Is there a modpack provided that I should use? The amount of supported mods is overwhelming.

Modpacks for KSP arn't really a big thing, I use CKAN which is close enough. I think just Skyhawk Science System and it's dependencies, the Hard and Soft mods from the Mod Support would be enough for a simple and small mod pack.

Add Coatl Aerospace, and all the Nertea mods (Near Future, Far Future, Space Station, Atomics, System Heat, etc. etc) would give a very broad and deep coverage of the tech tree.

After that I've gone through the Mod Support and click on Skyhawk in CKAN and look at the Recommends/Supported, and on things I know to be useful/good and ... hmmm... usually end up with 200-250 mods installed (and have to wait 20 mins for it to load).

A good source for ideas are YouTube videos from seasoned KSP players, they usually list the mods they use in the descriptions.

Just be warned, adding SkyhawkKerbalism means you have to pay much closer attention to what's installed, as some mods just don't work with Kerbalism, and Nertea's mods required specialized GitHub only helper mods (KerbalismSystemHeat, KerbalismFFT).

Edited by 610yesnolovely

Found a better fix for early sounding rocket probe parts that should have a HardDrive but don't in SkyhawkKerbalism. I think it's due to an issue in SKFreeAgents.cfg tying the HardDrive to the sounding rocket science payload, but something goes wrong (probably having any other science on the part). I think the intent is to stop these parts from being used sneakily as generalized HardDrives.

The temp fix is something like this:

// Fix early sounding rocket probes which have broken hard drives.
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[HardDrive]:HAS[#experiment_id[sss_soundingRocketPayload]]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[HardDrive]
	{
		// Delete extra fields
		!title,1 = DELETE
		!dataCapacity,1 = DELETE
		!sampleCapacity,1 = DELETE

// Delete tie to experiment so it works
		!experiment_id = DELETE
	}
}

Note this also removes some duplicate fields as the SKFreeAgents.cfg does "title = ..." (add) instead of "%title = ..." (add or replace). I make this subtle mistake occasionally too. The main bit is removing the "experiment_id" field.