The Skyhawk Science System - a new, realistic tech tree for KSP, now including Kerbalism support - [v1.1.1 - "For Science!" 8/11/22)]

CessnaSkyhawk

• 2 weeks later...

hi. I have agena materials bay on the agena target vehicle and I have docked to it with my gemini spacecraft with pilot and scientist. when I tried to run the mat. bay experiment, it just says 'not prepared'. Does anybody know what it means, how to get it running? thanks

On 11/23/2022 at 2:46 PM, JebTheDestroyer said:

Noticed that all(?) of the inflatable habitats from SSPXR start inflated in the VAB, and will not deflate regardless of enabling/disabling the habitat. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the mod have all of its dependencies installed?

21 hours ago, Hrubec said:

hi. I have agena materials bay on the agena target vehicle and I have docked to it with my gemini spacecraft with pilot and scientist. when I tried to run the mat. bay experiment, it just says 'not prepared'. Does anybody know what it means, how to get it running? thanks

If I'm remembering correctly, it means you have to bring a kerbal out and interact with the part to "prepare it" for its run, and then you'll be good to activate it.

51 minutes ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

If I'm remembering correctly, it means you have to bring a kerbal out and interact with the part to "prepare it" for its run, and then you'll be good to activate it.

Yes, I thought so, but that option was not available in EVA, only to reset it (although it was not ever used). Maybe my scientist needs to be more than level 0?

One more thing regarding kerbalism life support: is there any way to add more LiOH (to external tank?) my scrubbers dont work more than several days and then I run out of it. 

I  tried to add external ECLSS with basic regen scrubber but that doesnt work - option to dump co2 is missing from the menu actually

26 minutes ago, Hrubec said:

Yes, I thought so, but that option was not available in EVA, only to reset it (although it was not ever used). Maybe my scientist needs to be more than level 0?

One more thing regarding kerbalism life support: is there any way to add more LiOH (to external tank?) my scrubbers dont work more than several days and then I run out of it. 

I  tried to add external ECLSS with basic regen scrubber but that doesnt work - option to dump co2 is missing from the menu actually

According to my code it should just be any Scientist.

As for the latter, that's intentional - irl scrubbers tended to wear out over time hence the limited amount of LiOH - I haven't really tested, but it might be possible to add on some additional LiOH scrubbers in the external ECLSS  for more time. As for the basic regen, not sure why the dump co2 method is missing, but the catch with the basic regen is that iirc it can only support half of the requirements for a given crew, so you'd need double the amount of basic regen scrubbers to get the same scrubbing capacity as the LiOH scrubbers - it's more meant to make early stations viable before the advanced one is unlocked, without making LiOH scrubbers useless.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:46 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Does B9 Procedural Wings work with this tech tree?
And if not, how easily could I make a patch for it? Are there any tutorials you'd recommend for modding the tech tree?

Yes, but the released version puts them at Tier 11 (which is pretty high tech), but the latest GitHub dev version moves them to Tier 1 (yay).

All mod parts should appear somewhere in the tech tree, due to the way it's written (there's a mapping somewhere from stock tech nodes to the tech tree equivalents. This can result in parts being in odd places. See: https://github.com/CessnaSkyhawk/SkyhawkScienceSystem/blob/main/Patches/Science/StockScienceSupport.cfg

Also any mods which introduce or use tech tree nodes (non-stock), such as mods which place items in the Community Tech Tree will not work properly, may cause issues.

Fortunately writing patches to support new mods is somewhat easy (if you're technically savvy) to tricksy (if you've never editted a .cfg before).

• Copy any of the .cfg files under GameData/SkyhawkScienceSystem/ModSupport into your own personal patch folder
    • Make one under GameData/YourNameHere/someMod.cfg
  • Remove or edit all the blocks like shown below:
//Tier 4 spaceplanes4
@PART[blue_steel_engine_s0_1]:AFTER[BlueSteel] //
{
	@TechRequired = spaceplanes4
}
  • The @PART[...] bit basically says "edit this part", "after the mod does its config".
  • So change blue_steel_engine_s0_1 to some mod's part name
  • Change BlueSteel to the name of the mod (usually the directory name under GameData).
  • The @TechRequired bit says "and place it in SSS at this node".

All the ModSupport files list all the SSS tech nodes, so all you need is the part name - you can find them in GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache (it's a big file) and look for "PART { name = xxx" spread over several lines. I usually search for stuff in the description. There's a mod called PartInfo that will show this in game also.

See also @Aelfhe1m's GitHub patch repo, which has a lot of extra mods supported, so a good way to see how to do it, in fact they have a cfg patch for B9 proc wings to move them into Tier 1. Pick any of these and just copy them into your GameData/YourNameHere folder.

https://github.com/Aelfhe1m/PatchRepository/tree/main/GameData/zPathesByAelfhe1m/SkyhawkScenceSystem

Also people here have occasionally posted ModuleManager cfg files in this forum.

I'd recommend storing your own patches on GitHub or GitLab, or at least back them up into Dropbox or a zip file. If you get into this you'll end up with lots of patches.

Hope that helps! If you do this, technically you're a modder (ahem... check out my mod Wacapella, which started out just like this and turned into a mini-mod, also it works well with SSS, since that's the Tech Tree I'm using)

Edited by 610yesnolovely

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to make the fuel cells work when not configured for kerosene/LOX, specifically for the Agena equipment racks and the Gemini service module. I click the B9 part switch button to tell it to use hydrazine, but whenever I activate the fuel cell in flight, it just gives me a notice saying that kerosene is missing. Is this a thing I can fix in-game or do I have to change something in a .cfg file somewhere?

On 12/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, epicpupster239 said:

Is it me, or is the Atlas main sustainer engine missing an upgrade on the tech tree? I see the upgrade for the lifter engine for the Atlas II, but not for the vacuum?

It also seems the mystery goo experiment isnt working from the container. Attempting to run it returns "depleted".

Ive looked a bit more at it, and appears that the mystery goo experiment defined for the mercury recovery chute part is completely different from that of the one assigned to the stand alone mystery goo part? For one the mercury part cant switch exploration experiments, requires someone to observe, a scientist to reset, and 1 sample. The independent part, however, has 0 samples, and the requirements to be manned aren't listed.
image.png
Above is the defined experiment for the mystery goo part.
image.png
this is the experiment for the mercury recovery module. I am trying to find what is up with this in the exploration experiments file but ive come up with nothing.

Edited by epicpupster239
updated info

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I look to see what tier the different fuel types are unlocked in the tech tree?  Some of my tanks such as tanks from the near future mods have the tank switch option for different fuel types, but tanks that are from the base game (Squad) do not have the option to switch fuel types.   The fuel type is default to Kerolox.  I initially thought there might be a mod conflict but when I enter into sandbox mod, I am able to switch fuel types in all tanks.  

I do have part upgrades option enabled.

2 hours ago, HawkEngineer said:

Where can I look to see what tier the different fuel types are unlocked in the tech tree?  Some of my tanks such as tanks from the near future mods have the tank switch option for different fuel types, but tanks that are from the base game (Squad) do not have the option to switch fuel types.   The fuel type is default to Kerolox.  I initially thought there might be a mod conflict but when I enter into sandbox mod, I am able to switch fuel types in all tanks.  

I do have part upgrades option enabled.

The fuelswitch upgrades are in their respective engine branches. You can make a new science/career save, use cheats to unlock the whole tree, and browse the nodes as you need.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get Mechjeb unlocked from the start but I can't seem to get it to work. I have a folder called MechJebUnlocked in gamedata, I tried editing the mechjeb patch included so the tech's appear later in the tree, but nothing seems to work.

FYI: Noticed a recent regression in GitHub (I use main branch directly), which won't appear in the released version, so probably nobody else has noticed. But for those that live on the edge...

https://github.com/CessnaSkyhawk/SkyhawkScienceSystem/issues/77

The symptom is every part gets an SAS Module, the suggested one line fix is included in the GitHub issue.

Edited by 610yesnolovely