Campaign? Cutscenes? A.I. Kerbals?

JSlone

What if they went full bore into the career mode, and made it like a "single player campaign" type mode, and there were cutscene with the fidelity of the 2019 trailer. Imagine if all our wildest dreams came true? Also, while rewatching the colony generator parts, they had kerbals meandering around. Now that may have been just added for scale or what not, but i wonder if when you set up colonies there will be A.I. Kerbals that have like preprogrammed tasks that are just kind around. Like random ones welding big generators or just, well, walking around. Like when they said that when you do a supply run for fuel or ore or what have you, you only need to do it once, then its automatic afterwards. What if you choose some colonists to take control of the process after setting things up and you can actually see them doing their routine anytime you visit. I wonder how that will work. So much unknown about the game still, i'm seriously can't wait to see what they do, i really hope they go all out and just throw every cool idea at this. :3 what do you all think?

Edited by JSlone

1 hour ago, JSlone said:

What if they went full bore into the career mode, and made it like a "single player campaign" type mode, and there were cutscene with the fidelity of the 2019 trailer.

Istant refund for me, I want to play the game for years and hundred of hours and make up my own stories, not play someone else's for 50 or so and then leave the game in a corner of my Steam library.

It would be like picking up Stellaris and removing all races, empires and control and replace them with a StarCraft campaign, probably still a good product, but not what I paid for, by a long shot.

The only place I think cutscenes would be any good would be in specific walkthrough tutorial type 'campaigns' that set up a series of sequential scenarios to teach different aspects in some sort of context, as opposed to actual play.

If the game becomes a 'follow this path only' experience like many single player 'games' (interactive movies more like), then it losses all if its appeal for me.

RIght right, Yeah, i definitely don't want the game to change at all from KSP 1, I just meant an "inclusion" of a more put together career mode, i'm not saying campaign in leu of sandbox/multiplayer, i just meant see where they could take the career mode. I just think it'd be cool to have the option. Have some canonical lore implemented into the world of kerbalization. :3

You could have cutscenes without it being a railed story. It could be used when carrying out a science experiment for example, instead of just putting up a text box with the results. Or if you find / get close to one of the anomaly / easter egg type things. Using KSP1 as an example, the first time you approach the Island Airfield command pod, you could have a cutscene showing a clip of the mission it was used on.

I'm not saying I'd particularly want it, but it could be done. 

Am I right in thinking there was a time when KSP1 was going to include a story? Is that where all the anomalies come from?

I think the lore should be implemented in the form of easter eggs and subtle clues that the players can deduce on their own, sort of like Minecraft, which is another sandbox game that doesn't force you into its own story. 

I also think your idea about the AI kerbals around colonies is cool, I think it would help a lot of peoples' immersion if Kerbals actually could do some minor stuff on their own, rather than just sitting in chairs for 2 years during transfer windows.

I sort of see what you are saying now, is is something like this?

On your first moon landing after planting the flag , a short high quality cinematic plays with triumphant music and a kerbal jumping around the moon

when you crash on a distant planet, a short cinematic plays with a kerbal stumbling from a wreckage on that planet and then when going back to the game one of your kerbals is still alive next to the wreck

Upon going too deep into a gas giant, instead of just seeing your ship explode normally, you see a cinematic where you look into a pod window and see anxious kerbals fade to black as the ship falls into the gloom

upon entering a star system, planet or location of interest, a cinematic view of that location plays (or something more exciting) then gameplay resumes

The biggest problems that I can see with this system is that it gets repetitive through multiple playthroughs (although they might be long enough apart), it sort of takes away from the people who want to make their own cinematic s when this pre-render is already here (but it might not discourage them) and lastly, because they are pre-rendered and take a lot of time, you cannot display custom ships so the applications are limited. I think that the average person would be happy with that sort of cutscene system, so maybe. 

22 minutes ago, t_v said:

Upon going too deep into a gas giant, instead of just seeing your ship explode normally, you see a cinematic where you look into a pod window and see anxious kerbals fade to black as the ship falls into the gloom

This is GREAT. I'd love to see this implemented. I like the idea of conditional cutscenes, they could also build in some randomness and make them an optional feature for players who don't like them.

i'd definitely like to see more from the stock version of career mode, i think they're calling it adventure mode. just a loose story with like one cutscene / scripted event at the start and some random events with kerbals popping up around the place. but judging by the name "adventure mode" i suspect they will abandon the career / contracts / currencies concept altogether.

Even if it isn't cutscenes, im just saying i'd personally like to see them further the career side of things, they way ksp 1 was built career mode was kind of tact on to the established physics game, i'm not saying career mode or a single player mode should be the focus of the game but it just being a little more fleshed out with it in mind, and has anyone here played the master chief anniversary? where they made those stupidly amazing cutscenes for halo 2? and then you play the gameplay with your crappy old gen graphics again? super awesome stuff. lol

Im actually very much into the idea of simple AI for kerbals, being able to right click and assign tasks and let them run around carrying things out, but especially cosmetically around colonies and landing sites, watching them putter about inspecting things and goofing off. 

I love all of this, especially the atmosphere you would get in the colonies

Hard for me to understand why lots of people in the community are so opposed to involved singleplayer campaigns. Why not just ignore it and go into sandbox mode, hell will freeze over before KSP2 comes without a sandbox mode right?! 

Edited by avalancha
typo

55 minutes ago, avalancha said:

Hard for me to understand why lots of people in the community are so opposed to involved singleplayer campaigns.

Minecraft has Survival and Creative, creative is the cheat mode, survival the main game. What is being proposed here is to remove survival and replace it with a story campaign more similar to Action-Adventure games, with cutscenes and everything. You can still make it Open World, you can still offer Exploration as one of the main gameplay aspect but is inevitably going to be way more restrictive than the replaced Survival mode, reducing replayability by several orders of magnitude (unless you're a speedrunner you usually do at most a bunch of replays of most single player campaign games, not thousands of hours).

1 hour ago, avalancha said:

hell will freeze over before KSP2 comes without a sandbox mode right?! 

As we know KSP2 progression and advancement is going to be based also on colonies own non-istant progression, player built resupply lines, mining resources and setting up a ton of infrastructure, in that context what Sandbox is even supposed to be?

Free everything on Kerbin and unlocked tech tree? Good, you still need to build said infrastructure to build your empire. Free everything in every VAB or BAE screen even at colonies? That's more like Minecraft's creative than KSP Sandbox. KSP2 Sandbox is going to disappoint a good portion of Sandbox players no matter what they choose since KSP1 is so simple that you can make Sandbox by disabling a couple of buildings and currencies.

1 hour ago, avalancha said:

Why not just ignore it and go into sandbox mode

Because some of us have been ignoring the progression mode and play in sandbox for years already, now we want a meaningful progression mode that's not railroaded into a single fixed story and not cheaty. I'm not against a DLC like making history, but not as the main gamemode, and not using as many resources as a campaign with cutscenes and everything would require.

Again, what is being proposed here is to remove Stellaris from Stellaris and replace it with a 50 hours Starcraft campaign. 

The game should have some milestones and challenges, and it would also be nice to be able to complete some kind of final mission. To see a bright cartoon, credits and then, if desired, continue the game in free flight.