Duna One

Duna One:

The space program is nearly bankrupt and a company offers to fund you to go to Duna and start a colony there. This is your last chance to save the space program…

MISSION OBJECTIVE:

We can only support ten launches. Due to fund constraints, each launch is capped at net 100,000 funds at most. The first stage and boosters will have to be composed of solid fueled rockets.(sstos included) The public will not approve of nuclear thermal rockets(namely the LV-N “Nerv”)as they are fearful of contamination. The cryogenic technology that can be used for hibernation shpuld not be used for medical reasons. Radical engines such as aerospikes(namely the T-1 “Dart”) and switchable rocket/jets(namely the CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R.) are too untested and should not be used in a dangerous mission like this. Luckily, DunaSat 1 has been launch 8 years before and scanned the surface for ore(allowed to launch one scansat and it will not be counted in the launch count. You are not allowed to dock or transfer fuel or parts from the scansat.)

PHASE 1:(transfer window 1)

Send a crew of four one way to the surface of Duna

PHASE 2:(transfer window 2)

Send more cargo landers and 12 crew to the colony and establish a greenhouse*

PHASE 3:(transfer window 3)

Assemble a return vehicle^ and bring the original crew home.

* Life support mod only

^Extraplanetary launchpads allowed

CATAGORISING:

Level One: Modded

Level Two: Stock (visuals and extraplanetary launchpads allowed)

Level Three: Stock(Informatory mods(KER, Trajectories)visuals and extraplanetary launchpads allowed)+Life support(USI (use the 1.12 bleeding edge version), Kerbalism or Snacks!)

USI settings: at least

WxBv1f3.png

LEVEL MELON: impress me

BADGES:

V9KWgsG.png   8lsiqBj.png   S40Krpd.png

Winners:

Level 1

Spoiler

-

Level 2

Spoiler

-

Level 3

Spoiler

Edited by Watermel00n

So, can I do this in sandbox by just not going over 100k funds?

I might as well do that soon, since my first Duna mission is still not launched but VERY close to flight.

But since im on the "Enhanced" edition, I cant use mods. That means that in phase 2 I shouldn't use the greenhouse but still send the cargo landers and more crew?

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

• 2 weeks later...

Level 3 looks like a real challenge, especially in establishing a sustainable greenhouse.  There's a trick to powering that beast, right?  ;)

Questions:
Is re-usability of the launch vehicle  allowed?  If so, what rules around recovery cost?
Can all three phases be launched through a single Hohmann transfer window, as a single craft?
If KER or Mechjeb is used, would it be considered a modded entry?

Edited by jinnantonix

12 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Level 3 looks like a real challenge, especially in establishing a sustainable greenhouse.  There's a trick to powering that beast, right?  ;)

Questions:
Is re-usability of the launch vehicle  allowed?  If so, what rules around recovery cost?
Can all three phases be launched through a single Hohmann transfer window, as a single craft?
If KER or Mechjeb is used, would it be considered a modded entry?

Ans:

1. Yes, but if it is ssto, only srb.

2. No, three windows needed.

3. KER no, Mechjeb yes.

If informational mods are allowed, I assume Trajectories is OK?

I propose a standard launch vehicle comprising a SRB first stage and a LF+Ox second stage which takes the payload to LOE.  Is it OK if both are recoverable?  Do I recover the full cost, minus fuel?

Is it allowed to deploy a greenhouse in Phase One to support the initial 4 Kerbonauts?

Edited by jinnantonix

11 hours ago, Hdeedose said:

If I build an SSRT , can-I skip this rule ?

No, at least one stage srb.

7 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

If informational mods are allowed, I assume Trajectories is OK?

I propose a standard launch vehicle comprising a SRB first stage and a LF+Ox second stage which takes the payload to LOE.  Is it OK if both are recoverable?  Do I recover the full cost, minus fuel?

Is it allowed to deploy a greenhouse in Phase One to support the initial 4 Kerbonauts?

1. Yes 

2. Yes

3. Yes

Jinnantonix Duna One Level 3 - Mission Update:  Standard launch vehicle for each of the ten launches is completed.  The design is similar to the Ares 1.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_I   The LV can handle a payload of 25 tons to LKO (100 km altitude).  Stage 1 is a SRB, and stage 2 is LF/Ox.  Both stages are fully recoverable.  Kerbals will be launched in an Escape Pod which can eject if there is a rocket failure.  The Escape Pod is also fully recoverable.

Costs are:  
LV Stage 1:    Wet = K$ 25900.  Dry = K$ 16060
LV Stage 2:    Wet = K$ 11991.  Dry = K$ 10522
Escape Pod:  Wet = K$ 10563.  Dry = K$ 10526

So in addition to the payload, the cost of each launch is K$ 11309, plus $K37 if the escape pod is used.  SO the maximum payload cost is K$ 88564.

Edited by jinnantonix

3 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

How did you recover the first stage when the second stage was reaching orbit

For each launch, after Stage 1 separation,  I follow Stage 2.  The Stage 1 chutes are deployed at the moment of Stage 1 separation, so will deploy automatically.  As the video shows, the first stage lands safely under chutes alone.

Edited by jinnantonix

Jinnantonix Duna One Level 3 - Mission Update: 

Phase 1 of the challenge is completed with 4 Kerbals on the surface of Duna.  The craft includes a greenhouse deployment which is fully sustainable by mining ore and converting to fertiliser, and the greenhouse converting fertiliser and mulch into bland but nutritious NOMs , continuous supplies for the 4 Kerbals.

Payload costs:

Spoiler

pP5e3GK.png

Hc9xA7b.png

bNbKEWH.png

Edited by jinnantonix

3 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Phase 1 of the challenge is completed with 4 Kerbals on the surface of Duna.  The craft includes a greenhouse deployment which is fully sustainable by mining ore and converting to fertiliser, and the greenhouse converting fertiliser and mulch into bland but nutritious NOMs , supplies for the 4 Kerbals.

Payload costs:

Reveal hidden contents

pP5e3GK.png

Hc9xA7b.png

bNbKEWH.png

I've gotta go watch that!

Phase 2 of the challenge is completed with 12 additional Kerbals on the surface of Duna.  The craft includes two greenhouses,  fully sustainable.

Payload Costs

Spoiler

Payload 4

pLLrhuy.png

Payload 5

0qLh1VI.png

Payload 6

qBBBVwF.png

Payload 7

y6jLZbo.png

Payload 8

ZYUUz8E.png

Payload 9

y6jLZbo.png

Edited by jinnantonix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.