Duna One

Here's the rocket I'm going to be using:

aWq54Ic.png

The lower stage is a Clydesdale and the upper stage is a Wolfhound plus three of the 1/8 length 2.5 meter fuel tank. It can bring 40 tons of payload to orbit while expending 11015 funds of fuel. Both stages are fully reusable.

In practice I'll use a slightly higher fuel load and a slightly lower payload mass for some extra margin, but I don't expect the cost of any payloads to be over 80000 funds.

Edited by camacju

Launch 1: Duna advance team, return module

cgqHalV.png

65492 funds in VAB

Spoiler

44kVFjn.png

On pad

uJOodaw.png
Liftoff

wHacDWe.png

Gravity turn

DcVSL9B.png

Booster detaches

bVrIlpI.png

Booster reentry

uSVRzAW.png

Chutes deployed

LhhYwgx.png

Splashdown

y8qpDNb.png

Second stage continues

tcvn2Ma.png

Circularizing

rcyaHSl.png

Second stage detaches

lbhXzK7.png

Reentry

WJQVcHE.png

Chutes deployed

ZpZIRY5.png

Landed. Both stages recovered total 31494 funds, so the net cost of this launch is 33998 funds.

ef4AvKU.png

Duna transfer. The transfer stage is also the Duna return stage, and takes the Duna return module along with the forward operating base.

Spoiler

QSVnrfO.png

Correction burn

ELDnnh8.png

Aerobraking

lhmvMYB.png

In orbit

kDizHJN.png

Detach the forward operating base; leave the return module and return stage in orbit

QF1Zc5h.png

Descent stage firing

njOHCPn.png

Aerobraking

KD83Mx5.png

Chutes deployed

lt4e3Xj.png

Final descent

Bwanhsn.png

Descent stage flies away

5GfhzKI.png

Flag!

wNx4ynR.png

The base is lonely. Let's hope it gets some company soon.

GxBnj89.png

An interior view. The four dunatians are having a fun time.

Bonus: My provisional design for a Duna ascent vehicle.

Spoiler

JATihdy.png

Low mass and cheap. Still very overengineered actually - this thing can be dropped off in Duna orbit, land like an airplane (except for terminal descent which is accomplished with parachutes), and take four kerbals all the way back to Kerbin.

uuGQzf4.png

It's a bit of minimalist accommodations but at least I made all the seats visually connect together

Edited by camacju

4 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

I ve just realised some loopholes when using the latest usi life support (1.12 unstable 2) because it apparently had a deepfreeze function so i tweaked the rules to disallow that.

If I made a submission with Snacks-LS, would you accept it?

17 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

I ve just realised some loopholes when using the latest usi life support (1.12 unstable 2) because it apparently had a deepfreeze function so i tweaked the rules to disallow that.

I used USI-LS, but didn't use "deepfreeze", and was unaware of such a capability.  FYI  I launched with just enough fertilizer and solar power for the greenhouse(s) to generate sufficient supplies for the Duna Transit.  

Gonna give this a try, looks fun

Starting with Phase One. Here's the rocket that will send 4 kerbals to Duna

Spoiler

DZhK5FR.jpg

First stage is a Thoroughbred SRB, recoverable. Second and final stage is powered by Poodle engine, not recoverable. The living quarters have parachutes and side mounted engines to soften the landing.

Launch is rather trivial. Second stage is circularized at 72km orbit

Spoiler

JGgI1dW.jpg

xuo7ZMJ.jpg

6YmqfQK.jpg

b82gmnB.jpg

9mX16jq.jpg

6Tm1Kb4.jpg

iIwL5qz.jpg

G21OK8S.jpg

10 minutes later, ship burns towards Duna. Maneuver was on the night side of Kerbin, so we can enjoy the stars (and the Mun) while we're at it

Spoiler

i3OFefO.jpg

ZDwWHjl.jpg

The burn puts the whole stack deep into Duna's atmosphere. That's right, there won't be any circularization burns, this will be a direct entry, sort of like NASA's missions

Spoiler

vzJmPAk.jpg

Leaving Kerbin

Spoiler

Fdu5zCh.jpg

zPFzqnl.jpg

And approaching Duna

Spoiler

w09h6gQ.jpg

Second stage detaches from the lander, heat shield is inflated and lander enters Duna's atmosphere

Spoiler

cO1CchF.jpg

lsTqAju.jpg

6j76tCI.jpg

lGikGSp.jpg

Low into the atmosphere parachutes deploy, heat shield is jettisoned and lander slowly touches down on the surface

Spoiler

8Kx9ghK.jpg

xfPyvol.jpg

20IP7LE.jpg

PYuH1fe.jpg

swg7A0B.jpg

sa7Lgkh.jpg

4 kerbals posing for a photo

Spoiler

FuWismh.jpg

Final location

Spoiler

DR9f2cO.jpg

The whole launch stack costs 50399 funds and recovered SRB was 9300 funds, bringing the total cost of the mission to 41099 funds

Phase 1 complete. Phase 2 will come soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

Im not sure...

I might put you as a level 3 because TAC is harder, although it lacks the homesickness factor.

That's a good point. Consider my question revoked for my potential attempt, here. I need to embrace the 'homesickness' side in mods, since I build for it anyways. Thanks for the reply! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having a very hard time fitting USI-LS/MKS designs into the 100k / launch limit and get the mission done.  lol!  Going to take another run this weekend and incorporate SSPX mod bits to get (totally admitting the truth here) the cheaty/undermass crew pods. Trying to stick with a common Duna lander that can drop crew modules, supplies or carry things back into orbit and just swapping out the modular bits that snap into the lander.

In theory/testing, it works great but the two designs (lander/RTO and resupply modules) are near 200k each at launch and over 40t per payload. Stay tuned! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.