how do anomaly detection work exactly?

In the past, whenever I've been looking for anomalies, I've been using the rovemate core, with 100% detection. easy.

now i'm doing a caveman challenge, and the rovemate is not available. I considered looking for anomalies, and i have a probe core with 6% detection.

but what does it mean 6% detection exactly?

- when it passes over an anomaly, it has 6% chance to detect it. if it doesn't and you save and reload the game - or you go back to tracking station and then return to the vehicle - it has again a 6% chance

- when it passes over an anomaly, it has 6% chance to detect it. it will have another 6% chance to detect at every subsequent passage

- when it passes over an anomaly, it has 6% chance to detect it. if it doesn't, it will never, ever detect that anomaly, period

knowing that will affect my gameplay. if it's the last option, i need a fleet of searchers, while in the other two options, a single probe and some patience will win the day.

I’m not 100% certain, but here’s how I understand it.

• When your probe passes over an anomaly, it has an X % chance of detecting it.  In your case, 6%.
  • After a period of time, the same probe will again have X % chance of detecting the anomaly.
  • I’m not sure what that period of time is.  Might be one orbit, or one day, or something else.
  • You have to be controlling the probe, with KerbNet running, to detect anomalies.
  • You’d be better off with a probe that has a higher chance of detection, obviously.
  • However, any probe that is capable of detecting anomalies will eventually find them all if you are patient.
  • At 6% detection, you will need to be very, very patient.

Edit- I found an explanation by @bewing here, which is excellent.  He indicates that probes reset their odds every Kerbal day (6 hours).

Edited by 18Watt

well the only known way is that with scansat mod there are such questionmarks (and yes they exists on kerbnet too but are rare(also on kerbnet they required to complete a plantery survey)) that are anomalies i usally add a mark at these on scansat and later on finding them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.