No parachute in the basic flight tutorial

The most common mistake that causes that is going straight up, and then coming straight down.   One gets going too fast and the parachutes will not open. 

Try hitting the "D" button a bit to get the rocket angled and see how it goes.   Watch the parachute icons on the left side of the screen.  If they are red they will not open.

4 hours ago, TAC said:

Well I can get the chute to deploy....... only to be ripped to shreds and/or burned up.   I launch it when it says it's safe, it comes out but it doesn't actually open.

That happens when you are moving too fast.  Right click on the engine and lower the thrust to about 25ish or so.  Then, during takeoff, press S or W to angle yourself instead of going straight up.  As soon as the engine is out of fuel, you should be able to deploy the chute and get to the ground safely.

14 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

That happens when you are moving too fast.  Right click on the engine and lower the thrust to about 25ish or so.  Then, during takeoff, press S or W to angle yourself instead of going straight up.  As soon as the engine is out of fuel, you should be able to deploy the chute and get to the ground safely.

On the solid fuel engine I don't think there is any thrust control..... and least that is what the tutorial said.  I guess it also said the chute would automatically deploy so who knows.

18 minutes ago, TAC said:

On the solid fuel engine I don't think there is any thrust control.

True.  Turning the rocket about 45° from vertical on the way up is the only way to survive this tutorial.

When you build a rocket in the VAB you have the option to reduce the thrust on a booster, so it burns slower (but usually you want them at full thrust or just use a smaller one).  In the tutorial where they built it for you, you do not have that choice.

A few other tutorials have bad instructions.  I made a list here that I think has all the problems; at leas no-one has corrected me yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.