[1.12.0, 1.12.1, 1.12.2, 1.12.3] Tutorial Fixes

linuxgurugamer

iZ6Fn8p.png?1

NOTE:  This mod isn't needed in KSP 1.12.4 anymore, the issues have fixed in the most current release

This is a little mod to fix the broken tutorials in 1.12.

The tutorials were broken both by the following changes:

1. The parts revamp changed the category on the LV-T45 "liquidEngine2" to "none"  because of the revamed LV-T45;  they left the old engine to avoid breaking old saves, but by changing the category the old engine would be there, but not in the editor. Unfortunately, they forgot to update the tutorials which still refer to the old engine
  2. The "Hopper" craft which the tutorials reference isn't showing up because the old vessel loading screen apparently had some code to look for the Hopper in a non-standard location. I've created a new Hopper to avoid any issue of redistributing Squad assets, it is identical to the original, and this patch puts it into the stock vessels.
  3. Due to the change in the parts, a number of vessels in the various tutorial files were borked

Packaging and installing

• The patch is packaged so that all you have to do is unzip the file into the main KSP directory, the files will be placed into the correct locations
  • You can also use CKAN to install this

Explicit Installation Instructions (for Windows users)

1. Download the mod
  2. Open the directory where you downloaded the file, you should see this: AKXbOue.png
  3. Double-click on the file to open it in a window
  4. Open the main KSP game directory in a window, it should look something like this:  uvXOopJ.png
  5. Select everything in the first folder, and drag it to the second folder

Note:  This includes a bundled copy of ModuleManager with it's own license

Thanks to user @Gotmachine for assistance with the Harmony code

Availability

Available via CKAN

You can support me via D3r4yRg.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 0.0.2

• Added Harmony change to fix 6th tutorial, which was using a missing engine, thanks to @Gotmachine for the Harmony code
  • Added bundled Harmony dlls
  • Added code to copy replacement tutorials over the stock bad files
  • Added replacement .sfs files for the tutorials
    • Suborbital Flight
    • Go For Orbit
    • To The Mun, Part 1
    • To The Mun, Part 2
    • From The Mun
    • Docking
  • Removed mod part modules from the Hopper

I've run through all the tutorials, and they all now work properly.  Please let me know if you run into any issues

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The more people who know about it, the more it can be recommended to new players

I had considered posting something on Reddit to point to this, as that's where I see the most tutorial questions. Just wasn't sure that was my place. But if you don't have a reddit account, or don't frequent /r/KerbalSpaceProgram, I'd be more than happy to post a message with a link here. There are definitely folks who would benefit from this.

20 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I had considered posting something on Reddit to point to this, as that's where I see the most tutorial questions. Just wasn't sure that was my place. But if you don't have a reddit account, or don't frequent /r/KerbalSpaceProgram, I'd be more than happy to post a message with a link here. There are definitely folks who would benefit from this.

Please do, I did this for the beginners

I just started playing KSP, and after 10 tries of "Go For Orbit" I just gave up and looked online. It is completely unacceptable that the game was left in this state. This mod allowed me to complete the tutorial mission. Thank you! <3

17 hours ago, jlxip said:

I just started playing KSP, and after 10 tries

Welcome to the forums! Bummer that this frustration was part of your introduction, nobody likes that. But there's also good news, perhaps not really obvious from your point of view, but you're a beginner and you a) found the forums and made and account, b) found a mod that addressed something you wanted to address, c) actually installed the mod correctly and then reaped the subsequent fame and fortune! Usually these things come later down the line, so you're already way ahead of the curve.  :) Hang in there. KSP is so worth it once you wrangle it into how you want it.

Hello,

I am trying to get your tutorial fix to work. I am running on a Mac with High Sierra. I downloaded the zip file and moved it into the KSP.app folder and unzipped it (double clicked it). At that point I can see the unzipped directories and files in KSP.app. When I run the tutorial I still don't see the engine LV-T45. I suspect that I am not doing the install correctly. I have not installed any other mods. Could I have gotten the wrong zip file? What is the correct way to install the mod?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14033)

[KSP Version]: 1.12.3.3173

TutorialFixes 0.0.2-2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, MechBFP said:

This is excellent. While the tutorials aren't the most polished experience, I may not have got into KSP more than a few hours without them, so I am very happy to see they could be fixed.

Back in 1.7.3, when the tutorials still mostly worked, I used them extensively.  That and trial and error eased me into the KSP world...

Sad to see a mod is needed to restore them for newbies, but glad it was made.  LGG is truly doing great things here.

Edited by R-T-B

On 1/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, Dcfarkle said:

Hello again,

With more searching I found the information I needed. The step that I missed was to move the unzipped folder TutorialFixes-0.0.2 from the folder KSP-osx to the folder KSP-osx/GameData.

Thank you,

While the instructions were in the OP and were pretty simple, I realized that they were aimed at a beginner, so I added some explicit steps, please take a look and let me know if it is clearer

On 2/5/2022 at 11:34 PM, rcjeffries said:

How do you install the mod if you got the game through Steam?

Right-click on your game and select "properties" > "local files" > "browse" . You land a "Kerbal Space Program" folder. Then follow the installation instructions mentioned in the first post (in short merge the folders contained in the mod).

Edited by Goufalite

• 1 month later...

As a result of a discussion elsewhere I performed some checking of files and the replacement docking tutorial save appears to have omitted the crew from the "Kerbal Rescuer" ship. In the original file, Valentina is the assigned crew member.

crew = #autoLOC_20827

Edited by Manwith Noname

20 hours ago, Darc said:

Can I edit the save myself to reassign a crew member in order to get it working again?

Yes, you just need to insert the line...

crew = #autoLOC_20827

...in to the Mk1-3 Pod PART module of the g_docking.sfs tutorial save state and start it again. Something like this...

PART
			{
				name = mk1-3pod
				cid = 4294634394
				uid = 3817944765
				mid = 4004293368
				persistentId = 643397188
				launchID = 1
				parent = 0
				position = 0,0,0
				rotation = 0,0,0,1
				mirror = 1,1,1
				symMethod = Radial
				istg = -1
				resPri = 0
				dstg = 0
				sqor = 0
				sepI = -1
				sidx = 0
				attm = 0
				sameVesselCollision = False
				srfN = , -1
				attN = bottom, 4
				attN = top, 1
				mass = 2.31799984
				shielded = False
				temp = 304.62609337808368
				tempExt = 305.11675208761795
				tempExtUnexp = 305.11673133775491
				staticPressureAtm = 0.98840547378581445
				expt = 0.5
				state = 0

attached = True
				autostrutMode = Off
				rigidAttachment = False
				flag = Squad/Flags/default
				rTrf = _default
				modCost = 0
				modMass = 0
				moduleVariantName = 
				moduleCargoStackableQuantity = 1
				crew = #autoLOC_20827
				EVENTS
				{
				}

You could also edit the persistent.sfs the game created when you tried to play the tutorial and continue but I would suggest starting the tutorial again.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, Manwith Noname said:

As a result of a discussion elsewhere I performed some checking of files and the replacement docking tutorial save appears to have omitted the crew from the "Kerbal Rescuer" ship. In the original file, Valentina is the assigned crew member.

crew = #autoLOC_20827

I'll get this fixed tomorrow when I work on mods

Thanks, that worked perfectly! In case someone else comes across this and is still stuck, I also needed to right-click on the engine and toggle Activate Engine. 

Also thanks for the rest of the tutorial fixes, they help a lot.

2 hours ago, Darc said:

Thanks, that worked perfectly! In case someone else comes across this and is still stuck, I also needed to right-click on the engine and toggle Activate Engine. 

Also thanks for the rest of the tutorial fixes, they help a lot.

I'll take care of this one as well

Another thing that I noticed is that the last Tutorial Text Card never triggers for me after the successful docking, I don't know why. Not that big of a deal since there isn't too much information on it but I wasn't sure how much I was missing until I checked it in a video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.