Can I own a Squad copy and Steam copy?

Alexandria

Heya, so I really don't want an argument or discussion but I'm avoiding steam completely due to social stuff. What I would like to know is if I buy a copy of Kerbal from the website, can I in the future also get it again on steam if I wish? I don't care about anything being carried over or "saved" that's fine. Any insight would be awesome thank you. 

I can't tell you about migrating the game right now, but I know I validated my KSP 'key' on Steam when it became available on that platform, so the odds are good.

KSP can be launched via steam, but even that 'version' can be played by simply launching the .exe in the folder without steam being on. There's effectively no DRM, and all files are open. You can have multiple instances of the game running in parallel, even. Carrying over saves and mods is as easy as copy-pasting two folders, essentially, so whatever migration you might do in the future will be painless.

Edited by Axelord FTW

5 minutes ago, Axelord FTW said:

I can't tell you about migrating the game right now, but I know I validated my KSP 'key' on Steam when it became available on that platform, so the odds are good.

KSP can be launched via steam, but even that 'version' can be played by simply launching the .exe in the folder without steam being on. There's effectively no DRM, and all files are open. You can have multiple instances of the game running in parallel, even. Carrying over saves and mods is as easy as copy-pasting two folders, essentially, so whatever migration you might do in the future will be painless.

I really don't want to install nor enter steam for the forseeable future private stuff. I'd like to just get the game from the website and play but want to know if at some point in the future if I wanted it on steam would it be possible to have both copies? Like I said I don't care about migrating stuff between the 2 it's just something you accept when you get a game on 1 platform and then get it again on another etc. I don't know if there's any kind of like "account stuff" involved though. 

2 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

You don't need to buy a second copy. You can launch the game directly as mentioned above. You can also just make a copy anywhere you want on your own PC.

I think I would want the steam copy in the future though because the workshop surely simplifies modding? 

Workshop doesn't do mods, just ships. You will still have the steam copy though. 

If you have purchased the game anywhere, you can make copies in any location on your own PC. 

So, you just right click on the main KSP folder, copy it, paste it in any directory or drive you wish. Now you have two copies! 

Incidentally you can launch Steam in offline mode too if you want. Then you can still launch from Steam without being online.

Edited by Randazzo

You can get a new (paid-for) Steam copy if you own a Squad* copy. I know this for a fact because I have both and that's the order I did it.

You can also get a new (paid-for) Squad* copy if you own a Steam copy. I know this because you can get a new (paid for) pretty much anything in this world if you already own a copy. People selling things are almost never concerned with why you're buying it or if you actually need it :D

You cannot get a FREE copy from Steam if you own the Squad* copy. You also cannot get a FREE Squad* copy if you bought the Steam copy. Just like you can't get a free ear of corn from the farmer after you bought one at the grocery store.

Speaking of grocery stores, that's essentially what Steam is. They're a way for farmers programmers to concentrate on what they're good at and not have to deal with all the rigamarole of setting up a website and selling their own product. It's actually not that much of a...

3 hours ago, Alexandria said:

I really don't want an argument or discussion

Oh never mind :D

2 hours ago, Alexandria said:

the workshop surely simplifies modding? 

It doesn't. CKAN simplifies Modding and it was written by Modders.

There is 0 reason to buy the game on Steam outside of ease of game updates. The workshop support is for downloading ships and missions, neither of which are particularly useful or hard to find elsewhere.

*Or a Private Division copy. Or whatever their name is now.

Edited by Superfluous J

On 1/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, Superfluous J said:

There is 0 reason to buy the game on Steam outside of ease of game updates.

It goes on sale often enough to make it worth getting it there.   But those are about it.   The community ended up making tools better suited for KSP (Kerbalx, Spacedock, CKAN) than what Steam could provide, and they did that long before Steam was fully integrated with KSP. 

I personally still have the option (last I checked at least) to migrate the game from the KSP store to Steam if I choose to, as I bought the game before it was even on Steam, but I have not yet decided to do so.   I have never seen the advantage to put the game on Steam.  

I own a copy of both the KSP store and Steam versions of the game. Yes, you can own both. I own it for a few different reasons - and neither one makes sense to most. And at times, I am not sure I even understand my own logic behind it. :D

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I have never seen the advantage to put the game on Steam.  

For me it's seamless updates. I mean, I still have to copy them from Steam to my actual game folder but that's pretty automated, easier than downloading manually from the store.

Not that downloading manually from the store is hard. Or even frequent these days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.