Duna direct style mission.

Does anyone know how to do a mars direct style mission but for duna? Like sending a Mars ascent vehicle out to duna first than sending the crew with the habitat on the second mission. I don’t like making Matt lowne style mars missions or SSTO’s I hate SSTO’s I’m looking for more of a traditional way on going to duna. Any tips?

Not sure what it is exactly that you are asking, so here's a short summary of how to send a spacecraft to Duna and land it there:

1. You need a spacecraft with about 1200 m/s in LKO, or about 1800 m/s if you don't use aerocapture at Duna
  2. You need to put the spacecraft onto trans-Duna trajectory during a Duna transfer window. You can use the transfer window planner mod to find a suitable window. A trans Duna trajectory is one that touches Kerbin's and Duna's orbits and gets you an encounter with Duna. This takes about 1100 - 1200 m/s of dv.
  3. Once you arrive at Duna you have to enter Duna orbit. The easiest way to do is with a orbit insertion burn of about 600 m/s. A cheaper way uses the atmosphere for aerobraking. You can use the Trajectories mod to accurately plan your aerobraking.
  4. Once you're in low Duna orbit you can land on Duna pretty much like you land on Kerbin:
    1. Do a retroburn to lower PE inside the atmosphere (Duna atmosphere extend to 50 km in altitude above Duna)
    2. Let spacecraft enter atmosphere and slow down
    3. Deploy parachute once it is safe to do so
    4. Near touchdown, use a landing rocket to decrease vertical speed to a survivable level. Most likely, parachutes alone won't be enough due to the thin atmosphere of Duna

That's it really, if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

8 hours ago, Watermel00n said:

General tips:

Bring a rover with you to take you to the ascent vehicle.

Use ladders!

For realism:

Use srbs for the launch.

Thuds for the ascent vehicle 

Hope i helped:)

I’m thinking of using the Duna Direct mod that already has these two important pieces and I’ll just make the rover foldable either that or use Kerbal inventory system and assemble the rover once I’ll get to Duna. Also I would want to use the harpoon system from the attachment mod or the tether from the coriolis space systems mod. And your advice helped!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.