Just 1 cm before throwing this game in a bin

3 hours ago, Ariggeldiggel said:

Hey guys, 

many of you are talking about how big my rockets are - But how on earth should I get a mining machine up to mun without building big enough?^^ I tried to use smaller tanks and smaller engines, but there I get to 1500m/s DeltaV and around ~0.2 TWR :o. That will never ever get to orbit :o.

https://kerbalx.com/king_of_nowhere/Recycling-Point-Express-RPE

here is a miner/tanker perfectly capable of mining fuel on mun and bringing it around, while being relatively small (the orbiter is 80 tons fully loaded). it also has a very stable launch system, included in the description, no need to steer.

And it's not like it's any more aerodinamic than your stuff.

17 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I haven't had as much fun in ages reading this thread. When I checked the pictures my fist incline was are those side boosters using... Mammoths?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at you. Creating monstrous rockets is part of the fun and, you, sir, do have a talent for that.

However, a lot can be learned from a "smaller is better" approach, and I emphasized the "learn" word there because I don't mean it as "your aim should be to build tiny rockets" (dream big! build big!)

Dream big? Dream big? Somebody is mentioning my old mothership?:D

it needed 28 mammoths for the mothership alone, plus many others for all the other docked ships.

its successor, A'Tuin, needed something around 50 mammoths instead.

Edited by king of nowhere

4 hours ago, Ariggeldiggel said:

many of you are talking about how big my rockets are

Don't worry too much about that. I tried deleting your launcher and building a new one in my own style for the same payload, and mine ended up at about the same scale (about 100t heavier, in fact, but with a bit more vacuum Δv, now orbiting the Mun in one of my saves near your version):

Spoiler

t7lJa9J.png

If you wanted to downscale, I think you'd need to send up a smaller mining rig.

I also would like to say that Mike Aben videos don't get the love that they deserve. I find that he has a way of explaining things really well. He does have a video which explains rocket tipping during launch. I thought it was great. 

Rylant

1 hour ago, Rylant said:

I also would like to say that Mike Aben videos don't get the love that they deserve. I find that he has a way of explaining things really well. He does have a video which explains rocket tipping during launch. I thought it was great. 

Rylant

And the link to said video:

Because some guys wanted to see the thing on my mun:

https://imgur.com/a/hCoNmci

Trüffelschwein 5 meets Trüffelschwein 4. Okay, I lost 2 tires due to a hard landing with around 10m/s but hey! It's on the surface and ready for mining.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And the link to said video:

I had watched this but somehow it couldn't help me

If you're on science or career mode, try opening a save on sandbox mode where you can open example rockets to have an idea of better rockets to build. Considering how overwhelmed you are, it sounds like you might already be on sandbox mode, which is very overwhelming for most beginners. If you are on sandbox mode and are attempting to build an advanced rocket, try science mode. There you can really get to know each part before moving on to the next.

Edited by Doesntknowjackaboutps4ksp

On the larger bit about learning KSP: I was in  your shoes once .  I found this tutorial which changed everything.  It is 7 years old now, but except for the DLCs, it will all be the same.  I would not be here now were it not for this criminally underrated series.  The reason I liked it: it was geared towards beginners.  There is a ton of KSP content out there, but actually not a whole lot for those who are brand new.

The time spent in the tutorials will be a lot of time saved banging your head against the wall or throwing your keyboard.  :)

Also if you are trying to build an entire space station with docking ports in-flight, maybe try using shuttles. I'm not sure if it's easier or more difficult, but you seem to be using very large rockets to get into orbit. If you use shuttles, it might take longer, but it might be easier. (I recommend that you build your own as the example ones tend to not fly very well)

Edited by Doesntknowjackaboutps4ksp
To fix an error

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.