Just 1 cm before throwing this game in a bin

Ariggeldiggel

Question

Hello dear community,

sorry for being rude in the title, but I'm extremely annoyed, angry - Yes: Absolutely liquided off. I bought KSP just a week about and I'm around 90 hours playtime now. At first it was very frustrating, that the tutorials are partially buggy and so it's almost impossible to get a clue of the complexity of this game. But I worked myself through, managed to build a rocket, get into orbit, land on the moon of kerbit and even managed to build two space stations with around 30 flights and coupling processes in order to build it together in space.

It is a total pain in the a** for me, even though I'm enjoying the game, because nobody explains you just anything of it. A friend of mine started KSP the same time I did and he broke his keyboard and mouse because he didn't manage to understand even one single thing. He wasn't even able to get into orbit after 40 hours. However, I'm trying to install a moon base with ore mining, so I can refuel my ships at the space station around the moon before landing on the moon, because I'm not able to get even close to have enough fuel with any rocket bigger than a cockroach to land on that piece of rock. It's even extremely hard for me to have even enough fuel to get into Kerbits orbit. And now? In 3 days, over 30 hours, I've built 7 different version of my mining payload, because none of them were even close to get into space. On top of that I build 19 different version of carrier rockets, to get it up. They were too heavy, didn't get into orbit, didn't get to mun, weren't landable or in most cases: Didn't have enough fuel. This HORRIBLE!!!! fuel thing is driving me way more than insane. I always don't have enough fuel. 90% of the time in that game I only run out of fuel. Now I have enough fuel, enough Delta V, enough TWR to hopefully manage to get this thing to mun. And what now? Now that thing flips and flips and flips and flips. Aerodynamics are fine and it flips. Do you maybe have any ideas how to fix it?

I'm so close to finally raging and throwing my computer out of the window - Just to throw napalm afterwards.

Greetings

11 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

This one got to orbit OK for me out of the box, but it was a very delicate, challenging launch. The thrust at launch is indeed quite low, but that's more of a minor inconvenience than a launch-wrecking problem. The real difficulty was the very low thrust after the side tanks are emptied and detached (the initial TWR of that stage is something like 0.3). To deal with that, I performed a very gradual gravity turn (tilt eastward just enough to notice the prograde marker moving slightly away from vertical, then straight up till at least 200 m/s or so, then lock prograde), which incidentally helps with flipping, then when the prograde marker started to drop too fast toward the horizon, I kept the nose pointing thirty-ish degrees above it until well outside the atmosphere (locking prograde again once the time-to-apoapsis stabilized at about 8s and started ticking back up). This managed to pull the prograde vector up just enough to give me time to get up to orbital speed.

Reveal hidden contents

lMbiRka.png

That probably isn't too easy to follow if you haven't done something like that before, so I would recommend making the craft easier to launch instead of trying to replicate what I did with this one. My ideal launch profile is to tilt a degree or two eastward off the pad, lock prograde early, reach 45 degrees around 10km, cut thrust when the desired apoapsis is reached, then thrust again to circularize. Try to keep all your stages' initial TWR at or above 1.0 and you'll have an easier time.

Oh lord... I wish I was able to even come to the point where I decouple the tanks mate^^.. I only come to 4-5km height and that's it...

9 minutes ago, Ariggeldiggel said:

Oh lord... I wish I was able to even come to the point where I decouple the tanks mate^^.. I only come to 4-5km height and that's it...

Sorry for the equivalent of the tech support "is it plugged in" question, but are you turning on SAS? This thing really shouldn't have any problems flying straight up for a few km.

Posted (edited)

Well. I finally know my problems thanks to you guys.

https://imgur.com/a/z8wnl2e

1. I went for a lower TWR, because of youtube videos where ppl told about "At least above 1 and between 1.10 and 1.20 is fine". Well. Not for these situations I guess. So problem 1: Higher TWR

2. I started to turn the rocket since I started playing the game. Before it was like: Straight up until apoapsis ~100km and then turn. Now I went: get 100m/s, turn (no matter how high I am) to 27,5°. Then after reaching 150m/s to 200m/s turn to 90°. Usually I was about 4-5km height there. That was waaay too early for that payload I guess.

9 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Sorry for the equivalent of the tech support "is it plugged in" question, but are you turning on SAS? This thing really shouldn't have any problems flying straight up for a few km.

Yes I turn it always on. But yeah, you're correct. Read 2) above

------------------------------------------------------------

This is, what I was doing:

Spoiler

You're allowed and invited to laugh^^

The result of watching some guides and thinking "Oh! That could be more efficient!" eventhough one was doing everything correct before and changing it caused the whole problem now...

Edited by Ariggeldiggel
fix a typo; making the text beautiful

I also would like to say that Mike Aben videos don't get the love that they deserve. I find that he has a way of explaining things really well. He does have a video which explains rocket tipping during launch. I thought it was great. 

Rylant

Because some guys wanted to see the thing on my mun:

https://imgur.com/a/hCoNmci

Trüffelschwein 5 meets Trüffelschwein 4. Okay, I lost 2 tires due to a hard landing with around 10m/s but hey! It's on the surface and ready for mining.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

And the link to said video:

I had watched this but somehow it couldn't help me

If you're on science or career mode, try opening a save on sandbox mode where you can open example rockets to have an idea of better rockets to build. Considering how overwhelmed you are, it sounds like you might already be on sandbox mode, which is very overwhelming for most beginners. If you are on sandbox mode and are attempting to build an advanced rocket, try science mode. There you can really get to know each part before moving on to the next.

Edited by Doesntknowjackaboutps4ksp

Also if you are trying to build an entire space station with docking ports in-flight, maybe try using shuttles. I'm not sure if it's easier or more difficult, but you seem to be using very large rockets to get into orbit. If you use shuttles, it might take longer, but it might be easier. (I recommend that you build your own as the example ones tend to not fly very well)

Edited by Doesntknowjackaboutps4ksp
To fix an error

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.