How to turn on periapsis and apoapsis?

23 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Hello @enio and welcome to the KSP Forum!

If you are playing in career mode, you must upgrade the tracking station before you can see the apoapsis and periapsis markers.

Happy landings!

That's not entirely accurate.  You can see the Ap and Pe markers on the map screen regardless of building upgrades, and you can even right-click on them and see their values.  Additionally, you can click on the little purple button (maneuvers) in the lower left corner of the screen and see the Ap and Pe values.

What you cannot do without upgrading Mission Control and the Tracking Station (both to level 2) is create maneuver nodes or see time to Ap/Pe (same purple button in the lower left corner).  But, we will need @enio to be a little more specific as to what his actual question is (with screenshots, if possible) to know what is going on here.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

That's not entirely accurate.  You can see the Ap and Pe markers on the map screen regardless of building upgrades, and you can even right-click on them and see their values.  Additionally, you can click on the little purple button (maneuvers) in the lower left corner of the screen and see the Ap and Pe values.

What you cannot do without upgrading Mission Control and the Tracking Station (both to level 2) is create maneuver nodes or see time to Ap/Pe (same purple button in the lower left corner).  But, we will need @enio to be a little more specific as to what his actual question is (with screenshots, if possible) to know what is going on here.

nono, I am doing a caveman right now, I would know if the Ap and Pe values were visible. And they would make my life a lot simpler.

Anyway, for the OP, the answer is the same: must upgrade tracking station

11 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

nono, I am doing a caveman right now, I would know if the Ap and Pe values were visible. And they would make my life a lot simpler.

Anyway, for the OP, the answer is the same: must upgrade tracking station

So am I.  Check the following screen shot:

kRsJNw4.png

In the lower left hand corner, if you click the purple button you get Ap/Pe information.  You don't get time to Ap/Pe, but you still get in-flight Ap/Pe values.  Also, if you look in the center of the image, you can right-click on the markers in the map view and get the values.  This is an unmodded (I have TWP, KAC, and Atmospheric Effects installed, none of which alter gameplay or physics) version of KSP, and this is stock functionality.

14 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So am I.  Check the following screen shot:

kRsJNw4.png

In the lower left hand corner, if you click the purple button you get Ap/Pe information.  You don't get time to Ap/Pe, but you still get in-flight Ap/Pe values.  Also, if you look in the center of the image, you can right-click on the markers in the map view and get the values.  This is an unmodded (I have TWP, KAC, and Atmospheric Effects installed, none of which alter gameplay or physics) version of KSP, and this is stock functionality.

mU3bM2i.png

well, it doesn't do it for me.

i get the numbers, yes, of course. but it doesn't show markers on the map.

I don't know why our games work different

28 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

mU3bM2i.png

well, it doesn't do it for me.

i get the numbers, yes, of course. but it doesn't show markers on the map.

I don't know why our games work different

I wonder if it isn't doing it because it's a probe?  Can you check to see if you can see it using a piloted command module?

On 1/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Huh.  I know I'm running an older version (1.8.1), so I wonder if this is the reason?

Various "I can't see my apoapsis" posts started cropping up after 1.12, so it's either an intended change in that version, or a bug.

There is a suspicious, and very difficult-to-parse,  entry in the changelog:

* Fix Ap and Pe markers appearing in future patches 
    in space not aligned to current patch
  rendering when in career games
  that have yet to have patched conics available.

I remember that I depended on switching to map view to see the apoapsis, in order to learn how to get into orbit in KSP.

Just to let the OP know, many players here recommend that new players start in "Sandbox" "Science" mode. 

"Career" mode makes the early game difficult -- and difficult in a not-fun way, when you are still learning the game.

Edited by OHara
oh yeah, 'Science' mode reveals the parts gradually, but enables gameplay aids like Ap/Pe and pilot SAS

On 1/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, OHara said:

~many players here recommend that new players start in "Sandbox" mode. 

"Career" mode makes the early game difficult -- and difficult in a not-fun way, when you are still learning the game.

I've experienced the opposite.

When I started back in the day I tried sandbox but, was inundated with huge-mclarge-big parts that I shouldn't have had any business playing with, yet - until I learned basic rocketry.

Starting with scraps found on the side of the road actually worked better for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.