[1.12.x] Extra Docking Ports - Docking Ports with Parachute Attachment Points and 1.875m Docking Port (Version 1.3.0 - Bug fixes)

Coldrifting

Extra Docking Ports

Download via CKAN

Manual Install:  Download from GitHub

Dlvu3lM.png

Need to have both a parachute and a docking port on your vessel, but don't want to resort to gluing radial parachutes on the side of your capsule? Want to connect two 1.875m wide parts together without an awkward narrow passage? With this small part mod, you can. It introduces a modular docking port and parachute system for the 0.625 meter wide and 1.25m wide sizes. It also adds a 1.875m Vanilla/ReStock style docking port, something that I'm surprised no one else seems to have done yet, at least to my knowledge.

Due to some technical and aesthetical limitations, the parachute and docking port are separate parts, with three custom parachute modules snapping into the new modular docking port parts with 3-way radial symmetry to provide an integrated and streamlined parachute and docking port system. You can find all the docking ports in the Coupling subcategory, and the parachutes in the Utility subcategory.

No mods are required, but ReStock is highly recommended, since the docking ports were designed to seamlessly connect with the revamped ReStock docking ports.

Please let me know if you run into any issues while using this mod. I try to test things thoroughly, but it can be easy to miss things, so feedback is greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to some screenshots demonstrating the 1.25m modular docking port and modular parachute in action

Changelog below

Spoiler

1.30 - Added bug fixes for VAB, increased parachute drag values and lowered deployment altitudes, moved parachutes to the Utility category, and added CLS support thanks to Grimmas.

1.2.0 - Added a new 1.25m compact docking port. Fixed a typo that made the 1.25m modular docking port connect with 0.625 ports instead of 1.25m ports.

1.1.1 - Fixed missing mipmaps in some textures.

1.1.0 - Added new white texture variants and improved textures slightly.

1.0.3 - Updated parachute part values to be more consistent with stock.

1.0.2 - Updated part costs and packed values to be consistent with stock. Added values that I forgot to change from the default for the medium docking port. Adjusted the medium docking port joint type to LOCKED_JOINT for (hopefully) less jitter when rotating attached parts while on the ground.

1.0.1 - Adjusted parachute node sizes to match modular docking port radial node sizes.

1.0.0 - Initial Release

Edited by Coldrifting

5 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Probably not an issue, but I'm just wondering if the node sizes on the parachutes are correct. They seem a little bit large compared to the docking port nodes. 

I must have missed that. I don't think it's too much of an issue, since the parachutes only have one node, but I'll fix that when I get home.

EDIT: I've adjusted the nodes to match and updated the values to be more consistent with vanilla, as well as added some values that I forgot to change from the defaults for the medium docking port. Whoops. On another note, the mod is now indexed on CKAN!

Edited by Coldrifting
Updated mod

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I just gave this a quick try and it worked exactly as advertised. It even fits correctly under the reStock LES in docking port mode.

This is a very clever idea and definitely going into my JNSQ/NF install. Thank you for making it!

Any chance you're secretly considering a white variant? 

To be honest, I have, but I probably won't for a little bit. Schools just starting up, so I have to focus on that. I don't think It would be too hard though. Maybe in a few days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.