Magnetic Boots for Kerbals so they can walk on the side of space stations/space ships?

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

People are really afraid of space EVA, aren't they? (Based on some old comments how they never learned how to operate a jetpack)

Never found myself afraid of space EVA, more the inconvenience of not being able to easily stop a kerbal from moving when near a craft, though ladders can help some with that.

I don't like putting ladders all over my smooth craft and yet having the kerbal not drifting is crucial when doing KIS or stock construction in orbit.  Trying to exactly place a part while the kerbal drifts out of range is silly.  Sometimes I can carry a ladder in the kerb's KIS inventory, but other times, he is already carrying parts required for the project.  Magnetic boots are something I've often wanted for my engineers.  That and the ability to treat anything with something that is logically "grabbable" to be usable as a ladder.  Like all the cubic struts and the parts from various mods with rails that apparently are decorative only (Scatter airlocks, some habs).  When translating a part in stock construction, if the kerbal is drifting, the part will drift in the same direction as the kerb as you try to adjust the part.  Mag boots would be very cool.  Especially if they had nice solid clanking when walking around doing construction.  At the same time, now that the jet packs have thrust limiters, I've gotten better than I should have to be at getting them fairly still relative to the craft

Edited by darthgently

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Jeb helps Bob to put on his magnetic boots, lets him out of the airlock and shuts the hatch - Then laughs evilly in the knowledge that it's an aluminium ship.

Oh no. You have found a flaw in this good idea :(

5 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Maybe add a rope with a magnet tied on the end that would connect a Kerbal to the ship and hold him in that general area and you can disconnect at any time?

This would enable fishing for the kraken on puf using Kerbal bait... I hear it inhabits the depths of the oceans there...

3 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

What about mini-Klaws?

Interesting, but Klaws in truth would rip a hole in the tank and Intercept Games are really on the realistic aspect of space flight for KSP2.

2 hours ago, gussi111 said:

Maybe add a rope with a magnet tied on the end that would connect a Kerbal to the ship and hold him in that general area and you can disconnect at any time?

Or a rail that the Kerbal clips onto?

One tricks is to bring an ladder segment you place, hang onto and then construct, take it with you then done. Now as the build in construction has longer reach than KIS construction they are still an useful tool. 

I suggested EVA tethers, I feel they could make more sense as they'd allow you to move away from the craft a little bit more and make more sense in a sort of progression system like where would magnetic boots fit in if it goes EVA Tether -> EVA Pack because they feel too useless to be late in the tech tree, too modern to be early in the tech tree and it would be nonsensical to put them in between considering the tether would already allow you to safely move along the ship. And again considering that every surface on your ship isn't metal an EVA tether makes a lot more sense.

4 minutes ago, tinyspy44 said:

I suggested EVA tethers

Consider a Kerbal on a tether while the rocket is under power. That could look interesting.

We could make the Kerbal look like its riding a horse with the tether being more like a rope than a physical strut struggling to hold on ;)

On 1/13/2022 at 5:05 AM, Anth12 said:

I was watching The Expanse and they have magnetic boots which would really help with Kerbals in space?

On 1/13/2022 at 5:16 AM, The Aziz said:

People are really afraid of space EVA, aren't they? (Based on some old comments how they never learned how to operate a jetpack)

Oh, come on! They even have magnetic boots in Star Trek: First Contact:rolleyes::D

I think it is a great idea, personally. And yes, I use handrails - some are from .24!