What planets would you like to see?

yoyo478

Great goob! I don't want to see anything further out until there is maybe a more efficient method of figuring out interplanetary transfers (without using something like Mechjab). As it stands I am lucky to manage Duna on the 3rd orbit (as in something like 300 odd days or so). So far since the release of .17 I've managed Duna 4 times now out of about 9 attempts. 2 attempts were sunk by the time warp destructo bug (one blew up my entire ship, one simply caused my NERVA engines to blow up leaving my ship intact). The other 3 simply never managed to make gravitational interaction with Duna after a couple of dozen orbits and tweaking my orbital trajectory to try to get it to match up before I just gave up because of low fuel.

Of the 4 times I have gotten to Duna (all I am focusing on now) one I crashed in to the planet because I forgot to open my chute until I was too low with about 1,000m/sec of downward velocity (I was thinking the atmo would be thick enough with a chute open to really burn off the velocity a lot and use the retro rockets just to scrub the last bit, not so at those kinds of speeds). That was I think the 3rd time I got there. The 1st time I ran out of fuel in Duna orbit at about 600km (it is still there). The 2nd time I managed to land, but had a little too much horizontal velocity on a slight slope. My 3 guys are stranded now after the lander tipped and fell apart. The 3rd times was the splat landing. This last time I made it and I've mapped all of Ike and all of Duna using the ISA MapSat mod (Kerbin, Minimus and Mun already mapped awhile back in .16).

I am prepared to try to land near my stranded guys to start up my Duna colony in earnest (with the eventual goal to try to return one or more Kerbals back to Kerbin. They miss their kerbal wives nagging them all the time). My current lander is setup with a rover on top (first use of a rover with the exception of driving one around on Kerbin to see how it works). I figure this way I can be a little less picky on landing spot as I can motor over to my stranded capsule/guys easily (well, easily-ish).

With Mun and Minimus landings in .16 I've managed landings as close as 150m. The worst was 800m (4 landings on the Mun and 2 on Minimus with the landings on Minimus right by one of the big crater walls with a great view. Aided by ISA Mapsat to get a better idea of some nice terrain features to land on/by). I used a lot of fuel each time though hovering and cruising over to get closer. Otherwise most wouldn't have been within 5km of each other.

Anyway, I feel like Duna is pretty hard. I want to try Jove and it's planets soon as well as the inner planets. However, until it is a little easier to figure out a matching orbit from the get go, it just takes too much time to match with planets further out than Duna (with the exception of making it a rare event traveling out that far).

A comet would be cool as would some asteroids between Duna and Jove.

I know it'll come eventually, but I'd really love to see docking. Also refueling.

A snow planet would be awesome, especially with big mountains to climb. I don't know how realistic this is, which might mean it isn't implemented.

A volcanic planet, with lava oceans, would also be fun. Or is this what Moho is supposed to be like once finished?

You can pay Google to have your search first, but it's not really worth it.

On-Topic: A secret planet close to the Sun, only 10km in diameter. It would be a charred, black rock and have no atmosphere. A name? Let's see...Rugved? Yes, perfect. A 30KM SOI. It would be the ultimate challenge! Periapsis: 987,476 meters. Apoapsis: 1,327,251 meters. Inclined 23 degrees. I like it! (More like a dwarf planet)

Shame it's the first result when you Google 'Kerbal Space Program Wiki'. There's nothing you can do about that, is there?

Wrong, a simple correctly configured robots.txt would stop Google from displaying the page in their search results.

Also in regards to my asteroid belt suggestion, it seems that is already planned. Nova said an asteroid belt is planned here

Edited by whatisthisidonteven

Doesn't appear on the Map View, has a dark surface meaning you can't see even the daylight side, and Kerbals die upon stepping on the surface, for unknown reasons. :o

that'd kinda be a waste of code, and man hours over at Squad

I dont know if im using proper terminology, but a binary system, like pluto and charon (however charon being much bigger than it is in reality) would be neat to see. The weird effect it would have on the trajectory of the ship (figure-8 around the 2 planets maybe) would make it challenging to land on.

Definitely a Saturn-type planet, ring system and many moons. I think we can skip Neptune and Uranus type planets, they are pretty boring, but depends on how hard it is to add planets to the game, if a single large gas planet can be added without too much trouble, then sure.

An asteroid "belt" between Duna and Jool would be very cool. Even better, they don't show up automatically on the tracker, you have to launch a Hubble-type telescope and look for them. A dozen or more would be great, but if too hard or CPU intensive, then 5 or 6 would do. Varying sizes & shapes, one or two bigger round ones, smaller lumpy ones.

Also comets, for sure, as many as could be put in, sun grazers, long periods, the works. Also be cool if you had to find them with telescopes or probes launched to outer reaches of the system that report back.

Something that has a deeply inclined orbit would be cool too, something far out of the plane of the ecliptic.

Oort cloud stuff, why not? Or a multiple orbiting system, might be a real name for it, I don't know, but a moon orbiting a moon that's orbiting a planet, yep.

I would like to see something like the Pluto system- a moon half the size of the parent planet. I woud also like to see some comets and a mysterious planet not in map view orbiting inside the orbit of Kerbin...

I would also like to see ringed planets

I would like a Saturn planet, and probably a Titan-like moon. Also a planet like Uranus with it's 97º inclination. Or a dwarf planet like Ceres and a asteroid in Kerbol orbit like Vesta.

97º inclination??? I think not. Pretty sure you mean its obliquity. ;)

Anything with rings would be nice. Saturn's rings would be incredible, I imagine, to see up-close. I certainly haven't seen any images of them really close. That and I've never seen a game that tried to faithfully represent rings; they tend to just be a single, flat texture. O.o

Edited by phoenix_ca