What planets have you landed on?

99TheCreator

With stock parts: Duna, along it a rough but survivable landing on Ike...well, survivable but not returnable. Also, I've landed on Mun and Minmus repeatedly. I did the Mun manually, but Minmus has always been on MechJeb since I'm a twitchy pilot.

I also used some .CFG editing while the space Cthulu was interfering with MechJeb and I had to fly manual insertions (for faster ascents, mostly) and landed on Laythe. Well, splashed down into an invisible ocean.

I haven't landed on a single planet -.- i just can't get in orbit with other planets....

but my rockets are big enough to land and get in orbit... :( Help?

If you want to get to Jool, get free of Kerbin's SOI so that you are orbiting the Sun,

Find Jool and orbit until you are 90 degrees from it, just coming around the Sun/Kerbol. This would be like you coming over the horizon to see the Mun from Kerbin, on a bigger scale.

Now point at Jool, and run your engine until your apoapsis hits Jool's orbit. You need to slow that throttle at that point and gently nudge it along until you see a Jool capture appear. Also make sure you're in Jool's plane. It is slightly off Kerbin's.

I've done this with the DSM Ion engine+solar panels as my 2nd to last stage. Not yet made it with the Nerva rocket. It takes more precision because the SOI's of the planets are so much tinier than their orbits, compared to the Mun and its orbit.

I've been to all four planetary SOI's with unlimited fuel cheat, so I could learn what it takes to do it. Now I'm doing it with the DSM Ion engine. So far I have landed on Tylo, I have a splashdown on Laythe, I abandoned a poor Kerbal on Eve (Kerbals can't stand up on Eve, too heavy). I tried Moho but it burns engines right off landers. I've landed and crashed on Duna several times. Trying to get a legitimate lander down on the planet now.

I have landed unmanned rovers on Eve, Duna and all of Jool's moons, including Bop.

I have landed and returned manned missions only to the Mun, Minmus and Duna. The other planets and moons are pretty much out of reach of my technology for manned missions and it's against my ethics to send kerbals on one-way trips.

Lets see so far I have done two interplanetary missions (don't have the time to start any new ones) and I've landed only on Vall, not really a planet but close enough. Still need to go to Duna but I need the time and the will to do so.

Edited by GOOMH

Hmm, in this Update it's been Mun, Minmus, Vall and Laythe (via Jool-Aerocapture). I also had a crash-landing on Duna (my Kerbals survived).

To me getting to Duna is extremely frustrating because of it's slightly eccentrical orbit in combination with its miniature-size SOI... of course I could just get close and chase it down with time-acceleration, but I want my missions to be direct transfers. Waiting for 200 ingame-days while in no-man's-land just seems off to me (as does launching multiple crafts to maximize success probability or using MechJeb).

Jool, on the other hand is fairly easy. Huge SOI, circular orbit, large margin for error.

I'll try Eve next, but the launch window opens so late (somewhere around day 150 or something) that I've kept busy with other missions.

I previously mounted successful return flights to Mun and Minmus in 0.16.

With 0.17, I've landed on Duna twice with one-way capsules. A rover mission there blew apart while parachuting for no clear reason.

An orbiter to Jool made several orbits followed by a Galileo-like dive with parachutes, only to bounce at the bottom of the atmosphere.

I've sent single topographical mapping missions to Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Duna-Ike, and Eve-Gilly. A mission to Moho achieved orbit but error/broke the mapping component while making a slightly too-low orbit that glanced the atmosphere.

Now I'm trying to muster a mapping mission to Jool's moons that can make orbital transfers between them all and trying to work on gravity assist flights off of Mun and Duna.

/the debris cloud over Kerbin is getting thick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.