(Request) "Interstage Decoupler"

Nozza

Just dropping by with a quick request. Does anyone know of any up-to-date mods, or even somebody who would be willing to whip one up quickly, to add a part (or rather, a pair of parts) similar to in this mod:

The parts in question are referred to here as interstage decouplers. They're a pair of parts that lets you put something like a parachute inline with the rest of your rocket rather than radially, while still letting you attach things on top without needing to mess around with struts and multiple decouplers. I'd just use this mod but it's not up to date and some of the other parts seem to be causing glitches, so another potential solution depending on licensing could be if somebody would be willing to do an unofficial update of this mod, removing the pre-BG robotic parts and their dependency, since it has some other nice parts like that rover container.

Thanks

That was a good mod but has fallen behind the latest KSP versions.

I think stock fairings might be able to do what you want. I haven't checked to see how wobbly this is in 1.12.x, though, and AFAIK 1.12.x broke Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. Right-click the fairing to turn on the interstage nodes. Attach the lower part of your rocket to the fairing bottom, upper part of your rocket to one of the higher interstage nodes, and a free middle node as your inline parachute.

If you have Making History or Restock Plus, I think you can do this with Engine plates. Normally you put an engine plate at the bottom of your fuel tanks then attach the engines to it and then attach the next stage to the node that floats off the end, which will decouple when the engine plate is staged. 

I think that you should be able to turn one upside down, attach to the front of your rocket with a parachute where the engine(s) would go and your thing on the floating node. 

The only issue is I don't think that either Making History or Restock Plus  have a 0.625m version, the smallest being 1.25m, so it might be a bit large for some configurations.

@Nozza Those parts appear to use only stock functions and don't require the plugin to function. You can either download the mod from it's page and delete everything except the coupling folder.

Or you can download this, where all I've done is delete everything. Mod originally by Katten, distributed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License.

Edited by Randazzo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.