Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

On 1/14/2022 at 1:35 AM, Meb Kat said:

I would apply, but I don't have the experince, I do know of a youtuber (Danny2462) who would be perfect for this role tho!

Danny2462 would be the perfect beta tester for KSP 2. He has an special skill in finding bugs or at least exploiting them. 
He also put out funny videos like doors and playing fall guys in KSP. 

Now much of the stuff he do has little impact on gameplay and you can easy cheat in KSP anyway and it does not matter as its an single player game, even multiplayer in KSP will be coop, not that players will not fight each others.
Stuff like docking port reaction less drives are something you has to go out and exploit and can be used as an alternative universe where reactionless drives worked or 10 days to Eve.
Not that you can not do that in stock game either with an LV-N asparagus throwing an probe. 

3 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I can live with that... just not December!

Really, it's better to brace yourself for December release, and if it comes out sooner, great! It's way worse if you expect it in July/August and it comes out in November.

13 hours ago, K^2 said:

Really, it's better to brace yourself for December release, and if it comes out sooner, great! It's way worse if you expect it in July/August and it comes out in November.

Totally agree, I can wait longer.

In all honesty, their are three things I am realy anticipating at the moment: Avatar 2 comes out in December, and the XFL comes back in 2023. I want KSP 2 to come out earlier, but if it does come out later it's fine.

I feel I have been waiting for stuff for years (because I have!). Hopefully KSP 2 can fulfill its promise, as many of us have been waiting since it got announced! 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:52 AM, The Aziz said:

Aside from that, I figured out why they pushed the release to 2022. Back in 2019, even early 2020, you know how the presented game looked like. I believe they then decided to aim for visual quality seen in the announcement trailer. I mean with all we've seen, they're not far from it.

I'm reasonably sure it's been driven primarily by the feature set. But given a longer delay, it's a good opportunity to also make the game look nicer.

I've got nothing to back this up other than experience of hanging out and chatting with other creative directors at other studios and working on roadmaps for other games and projects, but I think when Nate was talking about what KSP2 could be like during all the E3 and post-E3 interviews in 2019, he was going a bit beyond the original scope. However, the reception to that and the trailer was very positive, so they were able to talk some T2/PD execs to green-light some of the grander features. I don't think there were supposed to be more than one other star system, or such extensive colony-building, and possibly not even the multiplayer. That was all added as core features post-E3. And that probably led to re-negotiations with Star Theory leadership, the failure to reach an agreement, hostile takeover of the project, formation of Intercept, and an almost complete refactor of the roadmap for the game, leading to the release slipping by more than two years.

But yeah, sure, also visual fidelity. Either way, I think the original pitch for KSP2 was, "What if we just splash some new paint on the game and add some new parts and more planets to visit," and that was manageable to complete by the original deadline. What we're actually seeing being developed is nowhere near what Star Theory could possibly have delivered on time, and it would have been absolutely obvious to anyone working in the industry and familiar with details of the project. So the pitch has to have changed somewhere in the middle, and if I had to place a bet, E3 hype was a big part of why the game was suddenly seen as worth a larger investment of time and money.

Just speculation and some educated guessing, of course.

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

E3 hype was a big part of why the game was suddenly seen as worth a larger investment of time and money

Yep.

For such a quirky little game - its pretty awesome.  Love the original story about a little studio out of Mexico City who found a hit on their hands.

For those who haven't played Kerbal Space Program (KSP), it's a cute but complex space program simulator.

The title, ...comes from Squad. You probably haven't heard of the company, because it isn't a traditional developer. It's an interactive marketing agency based in Mexico City. They make game-like advertisements, but have never gone all-in on something that is just for enjoyment.

Kerbal Space Program is described by its creators as a traditional tycoon game, but it is much more. It's the confluence of ambition, smart iterative design, and an employer willing to take a chance on an employee's dream.

The Story Of Kerbal Space Program - Game Informer

What an incredible challenge it must be to follow up on something that was unexpectedly a hit.  There is a risk: they could put out something like (all) the follow-on games to Medieval Total War, where the drive to provide great visuals came at the cost of core game design and a loss of understanding of what made the previous two games great... and still see success, despite the lingering disappointment of true fans.  Or they could, maybe, make something that is a worthy successor - presuming they stay true to the things that made KSP great.

I don't envy Nate his challenges... but I honestly think he's fairly perfect to be the guy shepherding this towards completion.

12 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Yep.

For such a quirky little game - its pretty awesome.  Love the original story about a little studio out of Mexico City who found a hit on their hands.

The Story Of Kerbal Space Program - Game Informer

What an incredible challenge it must be to follow up on something that was unexpectedly a hit.  There is a risk: they could put out something like (all) the follow-on games to Medieval Total War, where the drive to provide great visuals came at the cost of core game design and a loss of understanding of what made the previous two games great... and still see success, despite the lingering disappointment of true fans.  Or they could, maybe, make something that is a worthy successor - presuming they stay true to the things that made KSP great.

I don't envy Nate his challenges... but I honestly think he's fairly perfect to be the guy shepherding this towards completion.

Thanks for the share I really like reading the story you linked, it was insightful.

4 hours ago, Robdjee said:

Some more real news, instead of marketing type strong hype tidbits the release once per 2 months, would be nice.

Like you, I'd appreciate something more concrete about release plans - but these tidbits they share do communicate both the direction they're going and the challenges they face. 

Nate's admissions on the first and second pages of this thread tell me that they are still tweaking and developing stuff... Rather than imminently publishing 

There is a very real potential for Webb to begin amazing people this summer and spark a renewed interest in space, astronomy and spaceflight.  Combine that with SX's potential for 'something new and amazing' to become a reality (successful SS launch and controlled splash-downs) and you have an environment seeded to give something like KSP2 a bit more of a bump than it might have had, were it released two years ago.  I feel like they'll have an optimal window with the second half of 2022 that might offer diminishing returns if it lags into 2023.

Just pure gut speculation on my part... but I'm also guessing their internal 'market analysis' people are aware of this.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:58 PM, TLTay said:

They are hiring a senior QA tester for KSP2. Newer posting.

https://careers.take2games.com/job/3787441

Does this inform on the progress to completion?

Gosh darn.  I might apply if I can get time to throw a resume together...  that sounds...  fun. :)

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Gosh darn.  I might apply if I can get time to throw a resume together...  that sounds...  fun. :)

Don't give me any ideas!

Random thought,  I just thought about KSP 2 and leaks. I wonder if one of these play testers will leak the game. It happens  to a lot of games, especially indie type games.

Of course, I don't want that to happen, because that would derail the game testing process.

Just now, Infleto said:

HELLO, it is 2022 now in case you lost your calendar.

They are probably going to release it in fall of 2022. I wish they would just give us alpha as soon as it's a slightly playable game that way we can just report the bugs for them to fix, that way it develops faster.

10 hours ago, BigStar Aerospace said:

They are probably going to release it in fall of 2022. I wish they would just give us alpha as soon as it's a slightly playable game that way we can just report the bugs for them to fix, that way it develops faster.

Exactly, sooner the better.

How confident are we this game will release in 2022? Are we saying still saying FY2021? Or are we saying FY2022 now?

The following is all opinion based and will of course draw oppositional opinions.

Sorry I've dropped off checking notifications and the forums for this game daily. The hype around this game started off strong and the dev diaries and YT episodes kept me really excited but it started to seem like they became a grab at whatever they could release often coming out a month late and lacking a lot of exciting material. I love seeing that that planets are all but mostly built. But what concerns me is (what I feel like) the core mechanics of the game have only really been teased.  But I've feel like a lot of new exciting material that's been mentioned as content in this new game has not been covered much in the updates. I feel as if the closer you get to the game, the released info should intensify.  Sadly I wish I never heard the game was in development as not to be let down by the progress.

23 minutes ago, savagekerbal said:

How confident are we this game will release in 2022? Are we saying still saying FY2021? Or are we saying FY2022 now?

Latest news is FY2023, but no later than 2022, so between April and December.

24 minutes ago, savagekerbal said:

The hype around this game started off strong and the dev diaries and YT episodes kept me really excited but it started to seem like they became a grab at whatever they could release often coming out a month late and lacking a lot of exciting material.

I think you're absolutely right. Currently, the devs just seem to be trying to keep people aware of the game. It's been a pattern for a while now that whenever there is a significant gap between any information reveals, people start to panic and you get the same 20 people all claiming that surely the game is canceled, and if it's not canceled then it's gonna be bad, and if it's not gonna be bad, then it will at the very least suffer extreme delays into the next few years, and all of this happens because the devs just hadn't scheduled any promos for that month. So, the marketing strategy has remained "hey, look at this cool engine" because that's enough to allay most people's concerns and stop the doomsayers.

Basically, there's a needle to thread, where they don't want to have people completely forget about the game, but they don't want to show too much too early, or else there won't be anything to show off when marketing actually kicks into full gear. They're probably farther along than they've shown.

38 minutes ago, savagekerbal said:

I feel as if the closer you get to the game, the released info should intensify.

Absolutely, and it will, but we're not there yet. If you look back at late 2019, there were tons of interviews and articles on gaming sites about KSP 2, but that was when they thought it would be releasing in under 6 months. Then the game got hit with a bunch of delays, and marketing tapered off, because there's no point in building up a ton of hype for a thing that's still a year off. You don't reveal the end of the movie in the first trailer, if you get what I'm saying. (At least, not if you're good at making trailers.) We don't know exactly when a big marketing push will happen, but a big marketing push will happen at some point. Keep an eye on PAX East, though. Nothing's official, of course, but a reveal there wouldn't be out of the question.

TL;DR: Yes, some of the marketing has been lackluster, but that probably says less about the state of the game, and more about the marketing decisions of the developers.