I was thinking and I always wanted tethers in KSP so I thought I would suggest it here, the rope physics don't have to be perfect I just feel it would be realistic to have EVA tethers and some sort of progression, where you start with tethers and you can get strength upgrades so they're less likely to snap and then later on you unlock the EVA pack later in the tech tree we have now and then perhaps some sort of MMU a little later in the tech tree and the MMU acts as a sort of external command seat similar to the one from the Cormorant Shuttle mod which allows the Kerbal to go farther for extended EVAs or grabbing satellites for deorbiting or recovery, this also ties into me wanting to suggest that EVA repairs take time where you don't just need to pack enough EVA repair kits the Kerbal also needs a bit of time to repair something whether it be a broken antenna, battery, solar panel, leak or reaction wheel.

Honestly I hadn't given this any thought but now that you mention it it's so obvious xD Now I hope they consider tethers too.

I think following the precedent set by the existing facility upgrade system would be simpler for executing this: start as we do now with no off-Kerbin EVAs, then upgrade a building to unlock tethers, then upgrade again to unlock the EVA pack.

I like the tether idea, and it also helps with a common problem of players being afraid to EVA because they worry they will not be able to control their kerbal. That being said, that also means that having a lower amount of EVA fuel is bad for players to learn, because it punishes them the most when they are experiencing it for the first time. Maybe a difficulty option for more experienced players to have an extra challenge, but certainly not for first time users. 

Second thing, for the time expenditure on EVA repairs, this really doesn’t make sense to me. Whenever someone asks for a time delay, it should really benefit gameplay first and then have realism second. If my repair takes four hours of in game time, I can just time warp and the only thing I have gained from that feature is a little bit more grind and a little bit more annoyance and after the thousandth time, no appreciation for the realism. 

16 hours ago, t_v said:

I like the tether idea, and it also helps with a common problem of players being afraid to EVA because they worry they will not be able to control their kerbal.

Wait we're going to deny new players that sense of mortal terror the first time they eva and don't understand auto-rotate and fling off into space?

In seriousness I do like this idea, especially for new players. I know fuel hoses have been a common ask in the past so this could be a mostly straight-forward extension of that. 

This is a great idea, you really forget about it once you get comfortable in KSP.

19 hours ago, problemecium said:

Honestly I hadn't given this any thought but now that you mention it it's so obvious xD Now I hope they consider tethers too.

I think following the precedent set by the existing facility upgrade system would be simpler for executing this: start as we do now with no off-Kerbin EVAs, then upgrade a building to unlock tethers, then upgrade again to unlock the EVA pack.

I'm sure that's most of us, and the facility upgrade is a great idea!

16 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Wait we're going to deny new players that sense of mortal terror the first time they eva and don't understand auto-rotate and fling off into space?

Oh the nostalgia!
(I had an image of one of my first EVAs, contained in a shuttle cargo bay, and I had turned on interior overlay to see into the bay, and I positioned a kerbal to be smiling into those windows, but I must've deleted it :()

5 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

In seriousness I do like this idea, especially for new players. I know fuel hoses have been a common ask in the past so this could be a mostly straight-forward extension of that. 

Firing off to space was never my problem..... unplanned, uncrafted re-entry was always my problem. 

On 1/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, t_v said:

I like the tether idea, and it also helps with a common problem of players being afraid to EVA because they worry they will not be able to control their kerbal. That being said, that also means that having a lower amount of EVA fuel is bad for players to learn, because it punishes them the most when they are experiencing it for the first time. Maybe a difficulty option for more experienced players to have an extra challenge, but certainly not for first time users. 

Second thing, for the time expenditure on EVA repairs, this really doesn’t make sense to me. Whenever someone asks for a time delay, it should really benefit gameplay first and then have realism second. If my repair takes four hours of in game time, I can just time warp and the only thing I have gained from that feature is a little bit more grind and a little bit more annoyance and after the thousandth time, no appreciation for the realism. 

Yeah I get you, I feel making it take time doesn't make sense in retrospect but I feel it should still be toggleable to allow more things to fail than just solar panels and some other things and for them to wear out on their own.

3 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Firing off to space was never my problem..... unplanned, uncrafted re-entry was always my problem. 

Kind of like skinny dipping but instead of naked, the kerb has no craft, and instead of a lake, it is the atmosphere of a planet.  No worries....

I don’t see the need for tethers at all, they’re only used in real life because EVA jetpacks are much bigger and bulkier than in KSP (or because they hadn’t been invented yet in the case of early EVAs). A station keeping mode where a Kerbal could automatically hold position relative to another object in space would be great for EVA activities like con(/de)struction or science gathering. The only use I can see for tethers is reeling in a wayward Kerbal if they let go/fall off without a functioning jetpack, and in my opinion if you can remember to attach a tether you can remember to check your jetpack is present and functioning.

10 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I don’t see the need for tethers at all, they’re only used in real life because EVA jetpacks are much bigger and bulkier than in KSP (or because they hadn’t been invented yet in the case of early EVAs). A station keeping mode where a Kerbal could automatically hold position relative to another object in space would be great for EVA activities like con(/de)struction or science gathering. The only use I can see for tethers is reeling in a wayward Kerbal if they let go/fall off without a functioning jetpack, and in my opinion if you can remember to attach a tether you can remember to check your jetpack is present and functioning.

Well I suggested a progression system in science and career, I always thought EVA tethers were missing and starting with an EVA pack before you even have upgraded your Astronaut Centre to allow off Earth EVAs is nonsensical to me.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Pthigrivi said:

I feel like it should be a researchable option that goes something like this: untethered EVA —> tethered EVA —> long tethered EVA.

I feel like it should be like this because it seems like tethers are a kind of ‘cheat’ for EVAs and it takes too much away from  the original spirit of the game. This system would only work if the tether was optional in the VAB or you could enable it before EVA.