Kerbal Children?

Shame on you all haha.

I actually think there are gameplay reasons why you'd want children, as a buffer following boom events to allow players to increase hab space and adjust to population growth after the fact. They could just make nursery modules for colonies and stations that fill up with kerblings after the boom event. They'd be so cute!

I think it depends on the nature of the kerbal themselves, are they plants or not? if they were we could see little kerbal just sprouted.

However, children in general are difficult to be seen in videogames with so many possible actions, I don't say is like putting children in GTA, but in a game where you crash rockets even on colony, it's not the best if you do it on children.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:40 AM, Staticalliam7 said:

oh god what have I started

Ok. so in ksp 2, when kerbals are bred from a colony, will they be babies (would be absolutely adorable) or will they just instantly be adults?

From how I would understand it, they would have a production cost (That being water and food, naturally.), and it will take time to grow/raise new Kerbals. They'll likely be stored in something like a Hitchhiker storage container (likely with much more capacity), and no more would be made until full capacity is reached. They'll likely only be put into the kerbal storage container when they're adults.

Another interesting thing to see is the potential for their muscular ability to be affected by the environment they were made in. For example, engineers who were made in a zero grav environment have very low G-force tolerance, while those made on Ovin are practically superhuman superkerbal, able to take the g-forces imposed by a metallic hydrogen engine or torch drive. For those who have read the Dune books, it reminds me of the Saudaukar from Salusa Secundus.

edit 1: unfinished sentence "They'll likely..."

Edited by intelliCom

3 hours ago, intelliCom said:

From how I would understand it, they would have a production cost (That being water and food, naturally.), and it will take time to grow/raise new Kerbals. They'll likely be stored in something like a Hitchhiker storage container (likely with much more capacity), and no more would be made until full capacity is reached. They'll likely only be put into the kerbal storage container

Another interesting thing to see is the potential for their muscular ability to be affected by the environment they were made in. For example, engineers who were made in a zero grav environment have very low G-force tolerance, while those made on Ovin are practically superhuman superkerbal, able to take the g-forces imposed by a metallic hydrogen engine or torch drive. For those who have read the Dune books, it reminds me of the Saudaukar from Salusa Secundus.

Yes, finally a good suggestion

22 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Shame on you all haha.

I actually think there are gameplay reasons why you'd want children, as a buffer following boom events to allow players to increase hab space and adjust to population growth after the fact. They could just make nursery modules for colonies and stations that fill up with kerblings after the boom event. They'd be so cute!

That is an excellent point.  The habitat population expands but you have some time adding living space for the new kerbal colonists. 
Now this imply some happiness metric as in you want cabins for everyone but you can sleep in an corridor or hot bunk in an pinch but this will reduce productivity.
Who brings up the city builder meta there an larger and more advanced population want more features who is pretty realistic but is more organic in real life but an space colony is an company town. 

52 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

That is an excellent point.  The habitat population expands but you have some time adding living space for the new kerbal colonists. 
Now this imply some happiness metric as in you want cabins for everyone but you can sleep in an corridor or hot bunk in an pinch but this will reduce productivity.
Who brings up the city builder meta there an larger and more advanced population want more features who is pretty realistic but is more organic in real life but an space colony is an company town. 

I've been playing a few city builders lately and man,.. like I know there's a balance here and its not a management sim but I feel like with all these resources and kerbals and prospecting mechanics you want a least a little sophistication in terms of resource chains and personnel management. Habitation and LS in some simplified, forgiving manner seem like a must, but adding on a couple clever conditions and unique facilities like recreation domes and training modules to keep kerbals happy and productive with larger populations could be cool too. 

37 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Do those impose any more acceleration than some liquid fuel rockets?

No, in real world you can get far over 100 g  with solid fuel.  This is in missiles, +10 g with liquid is not an issue either. 
Purpose of touch drives is to have high trust over hours not seconds. Its no real reason to go above 1 g here outside of warships and some edge cases like Pulse nuclear Orion also want high g burns as higher burst nukes are more effective for their weight or high g suicide burn landing on high g airless planets.  

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I've been playing a few city builders lately and man,.. like I know there's a balance here and its not a management sim but I feel like with all these resources and kerbals and prospecting mechanics you want a least a little sophistication in terms of resource chains and personnel management. Habitation and LS in some simplified, forgiving manner seem like a must, but adding on a couple clever conditions and unique facilities like recreation domes and training modules to keep kerbals happy and productive with larger populations could be cool too. 

Totally agree, keep it simple, an park who fits well with green houses, education and training level up kids faster,  then entertainment and shopping so an mall module this will however take kerbals to run so don't want it before you have an decent sized colony. 
Next perhaps an academy to train colonist into becoming astronauts faster or increase productivity. Here we have two effects education produce better kerbals and better living standard like good cabins for all, parks and entertainment increase happiness and productivity. Various facilities need kerbals to work with advanced or upgraded being more efficient but more expensive / harder to build.