Your challenge is as follows:

1. Select a historical spacecraft to replicate from the list below (but don't forget to Kerbalize it!)

Sputnik 1 (LKO)

Hubble Space Telescope (LKO)

JWST (HKO around Minmus's orbit)

ISS (LKO)

Apollo 15 (Mun)

Apollo 11 (Mun)

Curiosity (Duna)

Juno (Jool)

Voyager (flyby of Jool to Kerbolar escape)

Viking (Duna)

Venera 11 (Eve)

Luna 16 (Mun)

2. Land one of the following on its target body.

3. Submit your ship! Required screenshots:

3-A. Your ship in the VAB, with part count and mass.

3-B. Your ship on the launchpad.

3-C. Your payload in the target orbit. (For lander: Your ship in orbit of the body to be landed on)

3-D. Your lander(if used) on the target body.

Replica-Normal.png

Badge (any completed mission)

download-5.png

Featherweight Badge (any mission below 10 tons)

download-7.png

Above and Beyond Badge (exceeding requirements, i.e. realistic launcher, realistic orbit, etc.)

Please note: Every time you do a mission, you get a badge.

MODS ALLOWED

• DLCs are, of course, allowed.
  • MechJeb and other autopilot mods are allowed.
  • Ask before you use a part mod.
  • Mods that actually add any of the ships above are NOT allowed! That is classed as cheating. A major part of this challenge is the creativity needed to create these replicas.

LEADERBOARD

Unmodded

@Akagi -Juno mission. 250,350 funds, 66 parts. 850.198 tons. STOCK. Done without NERVs or ions. Accurate orbit, semi-accurate launch vehicle. Above and Beyond!

@QF9E - Apollo to Tylo. 220,959 funds, 212 parts. 561.069 tons. STOCK + DLC. Above and Beyond! Awesome down to the ULLAGE MOTORS!

@Akagi - Sputnik 1. 20,034 funds, 93 parts. 17.316 tons. STOCK. This one and Juno are the only two ones I'm going to do.

@Kerb24 - Sputnik 1. 29,572 funds, 48 parts. 55.678 tons. STOCK. Using accurate engines for once...

@Falcon 09 Andy - Sputnik 1. STOCK. 

@QF9E - Luna 16. 32,797 funds, 74 parts. 75.134 tons. Above and Beyond! A spectacular lander, a not-so-spectacular launcher...

@4D4850 - Venera 11. funds, parts. tons. Inaccurate launch vehicle, but no parachutes! *unfinished*

@QF9E - Venera 11. funds, parts. tons. Accurate launch vehicle, no parachutes! *unfinished*

@Kerb24 - Literally the ENTIRE ISS. Above and Beyond!

Modded

@Scarecrow71 - Sputnik 1. Stock + DLC. 19,459 funds, 23 parts. 43.420 tons. Above and Beyond for accurate orbit and launch vehicle!

@BuranAce - Juno. BDB for Atlas V and solar panels. funds, parts. 0.00 tons *unfinished*

Edited by Akagi
Leaderboard edit

Would you be willing to accept a rather detailed Apollo 11 replica, but to Tylo instead of the Mun? I've completed that mission a while back but the mission replay video isn't quite done yet.

I've found that the Apollo hardware from the Making History DLC matches a Tylo mission much better than a Mun mission.

3 hours ago, QF9E said:

Would you be willing to accept a rather detailed Apollo 11 replica, but to Tylo instead of the Mun? I've completed that mission a while back but the mission replay video isn't quite done yet.

I've found that the Apollo hardware from the Making History DLC matches a Tylo mission much better than a Mun mission.

Oh yes! ABOVE AND BEYOND category, for SURE!

4 hours ago, QF9E said:

Apollo hardware from the Making History DLC matches a Tylo mission much better than a Mun mission.

If you're willing to go way out of your way to get a bad-pixel-art badge, well then I guess I better make a ABOVE AND BEYOND badge! Coming soon! You're right on target! :targetpro:

@Akagi

For the satellites, do we also have to recreate the rockets that delivered them?  For Sputnik, as an example, do we also have to recreate and use the R-7?  Or can we use anything we need to get it into orbit?

On that note, do we have to recreate the exact orbit of the satellite as well?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1

Edited by Scarecrow71

13 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

For the satellites, do we also have to recreate the rockets that delivered them?  For Sputnik, as an example, do we also have to recreate and use the R-7?  Or can we use anything we need to get it into orbit?

On that note, do we have to recreate the exact orbit of the satellite as well?

That's how one gets the ABOVE AND BEYOND badge, but you don't HAVE to.

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Figured as much, but I had to ask to make sure.  I will hopefully be submitting an entry for this in the next day or so!

Great! What are you doing?

Edited by Akagi
spel cheack

My first entry into this challenge.  I will state up front that I intend on doing all of the ships here, starting with Sputnik I.  For a bit of information, here is the information I garnered from the internet on this satellite and its payload rocket:

I am using Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1, and I have the Making History and Breaking Ground DLC packs.  This is a modded entry; I have MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Transfer Window Planner, and the Atmospheric Effects mods installed.  I do not, however, have any parts packs or part modification mods installed.  All parts used are from stock and DLC.

VAB/Launchpad

Spoiler

1nKD0nL.png

lBrnWaJ.png

LKO

Spoiler

krprusf.png

RtcjcPX.png

Actual Orbit

Spoiler

Zjzg4gt.png

fYzu2wC.png

I got as close as possible as I could to the actual orbit of Ap 939km/Pe 215km, with an orbital inclination of 65.10 degrees.  The Stayputnik probe core I used is a pretty close approximation of the Sputnik I probe, apart from the minor/small attachment point on the bottom of it.  I also tried to get as close as I could to the R-7 (Sputnik) rocket used in launching this...and that's a lot of wasted fuel.  The first stage is 4 FL-C1000 tanks, with the solid fuel removed, standing atop 4 Swivels.  The second stage is a pair of FL-T800 fuel tanks atop a single Swivel, with an Advanced Inline Stabilizer for reaction control.  There is technically a third stage to this, but that is only to deploy the AE-FF1 Airstream and decouple the probe from the rocket.  Again, a lot of wasted fuel here...although I could have probably removed a lot of it.

Anyhow, that's my first entry here.  I would appreciate it if @Akagi could verify/validate!

Edited by Scarecrow71

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

My first entry into this challenge.  I will state up front that I intend on doing all of the ships here, starting with Sputnik I.  For a bit of information, here is the information I garnered from the internet on this satellite and its payload rocket:

I am using Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1, and I have the Making History and Breaking Ground DLC packs.  This is a modded entry; I have MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Transfer Window Planner, and the Atmospheric Effects mods installed.  I do not, however, have any parts packs or part modification mods installed.  All parts used are from stock and DLC.

VAB/Launchpad

Reveal hidden contents

E6shkeX.png

lBrnWaJ.png

LKO

Reveal hidden contents

krprusf.png

RtcjcPX.png

Actual Orbit

Hide contents

Zjzg4gt.png

fYzu2wC.png

I got as close as possible as I could to the actual orbit of Ap 939km/Pe 215km, with an orbital inclination of 65.10 degrees.  The Stayputnik probe core I used is a pretty close approximation of the Sputnik I probe, apart from the minor/small attachment point on the bottom of it.  I also tried to get as close as I could to the R-7 (Sputnik) rocket used in launching this...and that's a lot of wasted fuel.  The first stage is 4 FL-C1000 tanks, with the solid fuel removed, standing atop 4 Swivels.  The second stage is a pair of FL-T800 fuel tanks atop a single Swivel, with an Advanced Inline Stabilizer for reaction control.  There is technically a third stage to this, but that is only to deploy the AE-FF1 Airstream and decouple the probe from the rocket.  Again, a lot of wasted fuel here...although I could have probably removed a lot of it.

Anyhow, that's my first entry here.  I would appreciate it if @Akagi could verify/validate!

Take my badge! Take it!

download-7.png

8 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

My first entry into this challenge.

How many parts is that?

13 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I will state up front that I intend on doing all of the ships here, starting with Sputnik I

Watch out for Venera 11!

40 minutes ago, Akagi said:

How many parts is that?

That would be 23 parts, broken down as follows:

• Payload
    • Stayputnik
    • 4 x Basic Antenna
  • Stage 0
    • TD-06 Decoupler
    • FF-AE1 Airstream
  • Stage 1
    • 2 x FL-T800 Liquid Fuel Tanks
    • 1 x Swivel Liquid Fuel Engine
    • 1 x Advanced Inline Stabilizer
  • Stage 2
    • 4 x Hydraulic Detachment Manifold
    • 4 x FL-C1000 Liquid Fuel Tanks
    • 4 x Swivel Liquid Fuel Engines

I'd have to fire up KSP again to give you mass.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

That would be 23 parts, broken down as follows:

• Payload
    • Stayputnik
    • 4 x Basic Antenna
  • Stage 0
    • TD-06 Decoupler
    • FF-AE1 Airstream
  • Stage 1
    • 2 x FL-T800 Liquid Fuel Tanks
    • 1 x Swivel Liquid Fuel Engine
    • 1 x Advanced Inline Stabilizer
  • Stage 2
    • 4 x Hydraulic Detachment Manifold
    • 4 x FL-C1000 Liquid Fuel Tanks
    • 4 x Swivel Liquid Fuel Engines

I'd have to fire up KSP again to give you mass.

Great, thanks! Please send me mass at earliest possible time!

:valwink:

Part 1 of my Apollo 11 recreation:

This features my most detailed Saturn V replica yet. Its entire flight profile is true to history, with one exception: historically the 1st burn of the 3rd stage was performed immediately after stage 2 burnout. Instead I coast to apoapsis before igniting the 3rd stage.

Vehicle built with parts from base game + DLC, no parts mods. I do use some flight data mods: KER, transfer window planner and precise maneuver. This flight was done some time ago so I don't really have an idea about mission cost (a lot), number of parts (many) and total mass (high).

Edited by QF9E

9 minutes ago, BuranAce said:

Ill be doing Juno. Mind if i use BDB mostly for the solar panels and the Atlas V.

Definitely!

@BuranAce use BDB all you want, Juno was the first replica I made and I think it would be cool to see another's take on it!

Concerning the "Featherweight" badge:

All vessels less than 10 tons are awarded the Featherweight badge instead 

1 hour ago, QF9E said:

Part 1 of my Apollo 11 recreation:

This features my most detailed Saturn V replica yet. Its entire flight profile is true to history, with one exception: historically the 1st burn of the 3rd stage was performed immediately after stage 2 burnout. Instead I coast to apoapsis before igniting the 3rd stage.

Vehicle built with parts from base game + DLC, no parts mods. I do use some flight data mods: KER, transfer window planner and precise maneuver. This flight was done some time ago so I don't really have an idea about mission cost (a lot), number of parts (many) and total mass (high).

Part 1 on your way to an Above and Beyond Badge!

Sweet! My Juno was nothing more than a HECS2 with 3 panels, an RTG, the science experiments except for the SciJR and the spectro-variometer, and 2 antennas (RA-15 and CT 88-88).

My first entry to any challenge: Sputnik 1 In KSP

Spoiler

In the VAB: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

On the Launchpad: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

In flight: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Korolev cross: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Still in flight: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Sputnik away: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Finale orbit: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Mission Complete.

Notes: Launch Vehicle mass: 55.678t

Orbital Inclination: 6.7 degrees

Orbit is not intended to be accurate 

Used Stock, Making history (though I do have breaking ground).

Launched from Dessert launch site due to resemblance to Baikonur